Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Unhappy "Bendix" knockoff Washer/Dryer

We purchased a combination washer/"dryer", if you can call it that a while ago and installed it in our fifth wheel. It is a "Bendix" knockoff from China as the old Bendix corporation no longer makes washers or dryers and has not for many, many years. I checked on line.

That being said, this is a single unit that supposedly does both, washing and drying, not a stacked unit of two different pieces of equipment. The washing is good, but the "drying" is really non-existent as it takes 8 hours to dry a small load. Using a 110 volt outlet, I would expect it to take 90 minutes, We are considering just abandoning the machine and using a Laundromat, but I am wondering if there could be something wrong with the dry system and maybe it could be repaired.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of washer/dryer? I do not want to get rid of it if unless it is a lost cause.
msquared48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this type of washer/dryer? I do not want to get rid of it if unless it is a lost cause.
to me if you took a regular electric dryer and unhooked the heating element and just ran the fan,.....I'd expect it to dry the clothes in a bout 8 hours.

To me a electric dryer is much more simple than a washer. I'd tear into it to see why its not working.
The main parts of a electric dryer are
Motor to turn drum, fan to move air, heating element, timer controls, and Thermal safety fuse or breaker, a thermostat to regulate the temperature.
That is really all there is to one.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Remember from my original post that this is a two purpose (washer and dryer) machine all wrapped up into one box. The clothes do not have to be moved from a washer to a dryer as it apparently uses a condenser to remove the moisture as there is no vent to the outside. The heating element appears to be functioning, but barely. as the front window does get a little warm. This is a front loading model, not a top loading.

Since purchasing the machine, I have not heard good reports. That's why I am asking if it is worth it to try to repair it. Is the technology just crummy?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
Remember from my original post that this is a two purpose (washer and dryer) machine all wrapped up into one box. .....The heating element appears to be functioning, but barely. as the front window does get a little warm......
Since purchasing the machine, I have not heard good reports. That's why I am asking if it is worth it to try to repair it. Is the technology just crummy?
I posted that way to show you when you a water pipe or hose it has nothing to do with it ability to dry you clothes. I realize its gonna be one packed tight box with both washer and dryer components in one.
Make for sure you don't have a severe air flow restriction in your vent pipe.
If so it could be shutting off the heating element too early to do any good.

I'd be tempted to remove the unit from the RV set out side plug it into a GOOD 12GA cord and test it for dying then.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

OK. I will try that. Thanks. It will be much clearer to me when I understand how the thing works I guess.