Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Best Towing Mirrors For A 1995 F350?

I did some research awhile ago and it seems the top choices for towing mirrors are the Grand Aero 3, and the McKesh towing mirrors. I was leaning towards getting the Grand Aero 3s.

I have a 1995 F350, so I don't think I can install OEM towing mirrors. Is that correct?

Let me know if you have thoughts on what the best towing mirrors are.

Thanks
BreakAes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #2

Since your asking about add on tow mirrors, i'm going to guess you have the small power mirrors or Nemo mirrors as some call them. I have them on my 97 F350 and the best mirror I have used are the full plastic ones that slid over your factory mirror. It is very stable at freeway speeds, they usually stay adjusted between uses and are just enough to see past an 8.5 inch wide trailer. I got mine from LMC and would buy them again. They are a little different then the ones pictured in a good way.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Thanks, are these Nemo mirrors? https://i.imgur.com/AfrS6wo.jpg

Why are they called Nemo mirrors; something to do with that movie?

I have the XL model and they're not powered.

Anyway, at this point I'm thinking about going with OBS gooseneck mirrors and Gen 1 Ranger mounts.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Yes, some guys started calling them that on one of the power stroke forums from the move as they look like the tiny fins on Nemo. Yours look like the same shape as the power mirrors(Nemo). So what I have should work for you. The bigger factory mirrors do work better for towing and if you have to get out to adjust what you have I wouldn't see any draw back to putting those on.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

I used the CIPA knockoffs of the McKesh mirrors on my '01 Chevy that didn't have the trailer mirrors. Worked very well, still hanging in my garage.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

Somebody told me about these Chevy and Dodge mirror adapter plates for OBS Ford trucks.

I don't care how it looks. I want whatever's best for daily driving and hauling the truck camper.

Is 5280 Custom Fab the only company that makes these mirror adapters?

It looks like these are the 2 options from them:

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...vy-tow-mirrors

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...-series-bronco

Both the Chevy and Dodge mirrors look like they can swing away, just in case I were to hit something, or something were to hit the truck.

But the Chevy mirrors look like they extend, and the Dodge mirrors look like they don't. Is that true?

Is there only 1 kind of 99-07 Chevy towing mirror, and 1 kind of 94-02 Dodge towing mirror to choose from?

I measured the camper today and it's around 8' 1" wide, so I think I should have mirrors that extend.

Let me know what you think would be best for my rig, thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #7

Guys where making there own plates and welding them on to mount these mirrors. Looks like someone thinks they can make a buck. You need to weld them on, do some body work and paint. If you can do that I can Imagine why you would pay for these plates. They do prevent full use of the wing window. They also cause some obstructions and you might need to look around the passenger and wing window frame. There is also the holes from your old mirror that will need to be filled of covered like the sticker in the picture is doing. The dodge mirrors are ass ugly even on a Dodge and they flip in so they don't stick out as far when not towing. Most Dodge owners don't know this and leave them sticking out all the time. The Chevy mirrors can be wired up to the power mirror controller on trucks with power mirrors. I'm not alone on this and would rather see you burn the truck before desecrating it with parts from a Dodge.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

How much bodywork and painting is involved? I have a spinal cord injury, so I will likely need help. Do you know about how long it would take?

Looks like that company makes plates to cover up the factory mirror mounts, although that would be an additional cost.

My understanding is that you can still use the wing windows, at least to some degree. I haven't used them yet, so I don't know if I'd miss that functionality or not. It doesn't look like it'd be too bad, going by this photo: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=2500w

Hopefully I can get a sense of what I want to do after talking to the guy who makes the plates.

There's also at least one local company I know of that does fabrication, but they charge $105/hour.

Have you been in an OBS Ford truck that has these Dodge or Chevy mirrors? I wonder if the potential obstructions you mention would be an issue in practice.

I know the Dodge mirrors look like ridiculous moose antlers, but I want whatever gives me the best visibility for hauling my big ass Lance camper. I am leaning towards the Chevy mirrors.

Somebody said the old Ford 2 point mounts wouldn't be wide enough for a 8 foot wide truck camper. What if I used those with the OEM Ford gooseneck mirrors? I'm guessing the 2 point mounts would work with these Extend-A-Mirror Arms, but I do feel like I want a bigger sized mirror: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pAYsJuEEC5Q/maxresdefault.jpg

It seems like the Dodge and Chevy mirrors are more functional for towing, with the next in line being the old Ford OEM gooseneck mirrors, but would they extend out far enough on those 2 point mounts?

Tags
f350, tow, towing