Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Bought the new Garmin RV 760LMT

I am an owner of a new (to me) 1998 Natonal Dolphin 5360 GM with 36,000 mi.

I replaced the original b/w backup camera with a Pyle wireless system which worked well, but the tiny (4.5" screen) made the system useless in the big MH cabin.
In my research for a system with a bigger screen, I stumbled on a review of the Garmin RV 760LMT GPS system with a huge 7" screen. It mentioned you could hook up a wireless backup camera. Aha!!! Kill two birds with one stone??

The unit including camera was almost $500, but I could get the system without the camera for about $300. The description said "wireless camera compatible", so I did lots more research, including calling Garmin support twice, and was told that the Pyle camera I already had installed should pair with the system since they both use 2.5g.

I went ahead and ordered the system, plugged it in, but got nothing from my Pyle camera. Reading the instructions online, it mentioned holding down a 'pairing' button on the mount that snaps on the back of the unit. Looking carefully, my mount did NOT have a pairing button. Calling service, I was told that the unit without the camera does not come with the pairing button. Huh? what about the "wireless compatible" claim?

I left a message with a 2nd tier rep and he did call me back the next day with bad news- good news. He agreed that the wording should be changed, but he couldn't sell me the unit with the paring button... he could only sell me the bc-20 camera package which came with the unit plus the camera. He did give me a substantial discount because of the misunderstanding.

I appreciated his honesty and helpfullness so went ahead and paid it. He shipped it overnight at no charge, and it arrived next morning. I hooked the pairing button piece onto the unit but it still refused to pair with my Pyle camera. I gave up and hooked up the bc-20 camera and it worked perfectly. Moral of the story? It's a great system, but apparently you cannot pair with any other camera than the Garmin BC-20.

Now for a quick review (I know, this has been long)... I absolutely LOVE the system. I use it mostly in RV mode and it does everything exactly as promised. The voice command is wonderful and you rarely have to touch the screen. One big (unexpected) bonus... I'm new to driving a class A and struggle a bit to stay centered in my lane. I spend time looking at both mirrors to try to stay centered, which is probably not too smart.

While sitting at a long redlight, I went ahead and adjusted the backup grid lines to my lane markings rather than going to a parking lot to adjust to the parking lines. (I should mention I hooked up the camara to be always on rather than just in reverse.) While driving, I glanced at the unit and immediately noticed I was driving closer to the right side lane marker. I looked back ahead, moved over a foot or two, then glanced back at the screen. Perfect!! After a few more miles I happily realized I was keeping centered with very little effort. !!!

Now I have a great GPS, Backup Camera, and I can keep my eyes on the road and with a glance, verify that I'm in the center of my lane.
Love my Garmin

bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
For less then $27 a Lane Seeker would have keep you centered in your lane.
And no need to take your eyes off the road to look at a small monitor.

Has worked for me and is real good to use in construction narrow one lane areas.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

Has worked for me and is real good to use in construction narrow one lane areas.
The ad doesn't give much information on how it works. What does it do to keep you in the lane?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
never heard of that laneseeker ---
might be a good thing for the wife once I figure out how it helps
do you have to make sure you sit in the same place every time and hold your head in the same place always?

re the backup camera...
got ours from Amazon back in the first of the year but actually use my rv760 in my Jeep toad as a backup camera since the rv has that already and the jeep doesn't, BUT that 7 inch screen RIGHT there is like sitting on the first row at the movies

but it fits betta in the rv !

just LOVE the regular updates from Garmin for Maps and program updates !!!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
The ad doesn't give much information on how it works. What does it do to keep you in the lane?
The outside lines are lined up with the lane markings. If they are to the right or left of the two lines, you are not centered. just bump your steering and check the BIG monitor and see if you're centered.

btw, you can change view modes by touching the camera icon.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

The 7" monitor on top of my instrument panel is not small.
The write up on the lane seeker is pretty vague. What exactly does it do to keep you in your lane?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
The outside lines are lined up with the lane markings. If they are to the right or left of the two lines, you are not centered. just bump your steering and check the BIG monitor and see if you're centered.

btw, you can change view modes by touching the camera icon.
Still can't understand how this thing works? Clear as mud. You line these marks manually for every road you go on? Many roads have no shoulder marker, then what?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

to stay in the center of the lane just look at the center of your lane as far down the road as you can and you will be centered,works in rv or 18 wheeler.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinsc View Post
to stay in the center of the lane just look at the center of your lane as far down the road as you can and you will be centered,works in rv or 18 wheeler.
Don't need a device to look down the center of the roadway..........
????????? Still don't understand how this would help.....
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
If you need something to keep you centered in the lane, maybe you need to go to a rv driving school
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you need something to keep you centered in the lane, maybe you need to go to a rv driving school
That's the whole point. I don't need a phoney device like this to stay centered. Use your mirrors and your tv monitor if in doubt. Sometimes roads get narrow and I drive a wide bus. I would hate to depend on a 10 cent device to keep me centered. I can see you now, explaining to a highway patrolman why you ran off the road. Blame it on a pointer on the dash, yea right!