Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Camp Fire in a Can

Yep, expensive, but so far with about 4 lbs of propane usage in our backyard (testing, testing, testing) - I have no complaints.

Small package, good solid cover (optional), good low to high settings. Sitting up on top of the cover can, just the right height while sitting around the fire.

Yep, less expensive units exists, the red can one that Camping World and others carry is a popular one.

I went with the extra BTU's...

I also bought a longer 12' hose attachment, and picked up a light weight spun fiberglass 10LB LP tank. (Do have the ability to splice into the rigs tank, but also wanted to have the 'portability' of moving the fire where needed.

Nope, not long enough usage to tell how it will hold up - but dang, looking at this, not much to go wrong or maintain (my kind of RV appliance!).

See you when the stars come out, stop by and pull up a chair...
Best to all,
Smitty
Note: Love a real fire, but, so often now you can't have one - but still are allowed LP fires...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, we like ours. It has started to get more use since more places are restricting open fires- apparently partially tied into that wood bug infestation. However, the fire in the can will go thru some propane.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

Hey Terry - Any opinions on how long a 10 lb bottle will go, say at a low flame of 25% of the max available?

I've not used it enough yet to get a feel for how fast it burns... Though I could sure here it streaming when I set it to high! Much more so then the Webber... I'm using a 25lb BBQ tank for now...

Yes, I can have some fun 'testing' with ten lb tank, probably keep a log to get some idea how long to expect. But figured you might share your thoughts on what you've seen so far...

TIA,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I use a couple of 5lb bottles for both my bbq and campfire in a can. If I know I'm going to use the fire in the can, I start with a full 5 pounder and have noticed that I will use most of it on a long evening (4 hrs?). The last couple of times it was cold outside, so we were running for heat as well as for affect therefore I was running 80 to 90% of wide open so gas consumption was high.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Yep, expensive, but so far with about 4 lbs of propane usage in our backyard (testing, testing, testing) - I have no complaints.

Small package, good solid cover (optional), good low to high settings. Sitting up on top of the cover can, just the right height while sitting around the fire.

Yep, less expensive units exists, the red can one that Camping World and others carry is a popular one.

I went with the extra BTU's...

I also bought a longer 12' hose attachment, and picked up a light weight spun fiberglass 10LB LP tank. (Do have the ability to splice into the rigs tank, but also wanted to have the 'portability' of moving the fire where needed.

Nope, not long enough usage to tell how it will hold up - but dang, looking at this, not much to go wrong or maintain (my kind of RV appliance!).

See you when the stars come out, stop by and pull up a chair...
Best to all,
Smitty
Note: Love a real fire, but, so often now you can't have one - but still are allowed LP fires...
Haven't heard of this unit but we have the Little Red Campfire, and while the units are different, the reasons for getting one might be similar. Several of my family members are bothered by wood smoke. Also, lots of campgrounds in our area no longer allow campers to bring firewood. So you are stuck with expensive, poorly seasoned, wet, and/or softwoods for fires. I use a 20 lb tank rather than the quick-disconnect for the 40 lb tanks. I like to be able to put it where I want it rather than be tethered to to the camper. We wouldn't want to go back to wood! When you want to leave the campsite or go to bed, just turn off the LP. No worries about the dangers of a smoldering fire or that nasty smell.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just ordered mine today. Yes it is expensive but the extra BTU are worth it. Also buying wood in campgrounds goes about $5 a bundle so it cost you $10 ar least for a campfire so even if you use 1/4 of a 20 lb tank you are still better off and the ease of shuting down short cool off and you can put it away. CAn't wait to use it.

Dan
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #7

I bought the Fire Dancer fire pit and just love it. So easy to use just unscrew the lid and light the fire. It came with a long hose and regulator. I don't know what the btu is but it puts out nice heat. Mine came with the ceramic logs that I never have to remove. I like that because my brother-in-law bought a unit that is a little larger but he has to assemble the logs each time and his puts off no more heat than mine. I bought mine from Poole and Sons 3 years ago but I have noticed that amazon has them too.
jv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had our CFinaCan for about 3 yrs now. In Jan, I noticed the flame would not adjust to different levels. I looked at the burner and it had a bulge in one of the arms and some of the holes were plugged. I called Leo at CFinaCan and I emailed him pics of the burner. He rapidly agreed that we need a new burner and he promptly sent one to me along with the rivets and a pair of gloves to install it. All he charged me was the $18 shipping from Canada. It was easy to replace. Also, periodically, one needs to remove the hose from the burner assembly and check the orifice for blockage. I thought the customer service was great.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
our friends have one and bring it every night he has a 10lb can and it lasts along time
Tys03beaver is offline   Reply With Quote