Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can I spray 2k over 1k paint?

Can I spray 2K clear coat over a Duplicolor base coat without compatibility problems? I know to let the base cure for a week first.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

From my experience of 10 years auto body, you have to wetsand no finer than fresh 600grit paper if not following the prescribed cure time between base and clear, if dont want it to peel. I wouldn't wetsand metalics especially true base coat metallic paint, if I planned on using clear. The base only paint won't have the clears in it to let metallic sink in it will look dirty\blotchy If you sand it. And true base clear systems are meant one followed by the other at proper cure time slightly adjusted per temp and humidity.I can't comment on compatibility between paint systems.I would get the info from auto body paint store on that. I do wish good luck with your job.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

Can I spray 2k oner 1k paint?

I am currently clearcoating my motor home. I needed to repaint a small area and touch up a couple of spots. I used Duplicolor spray. I am using Acme FC720 2k clear. (Sherwin Williams product sold under several different brand names)I waited a week then wet sanded 400g and shot the hood with the clear. I sprayed a tack coat waited a few minutes and shot a medium coat. Immediately I got “fisheyes”. I have sprayed a fair amount of paint and clears in my life time as an enthusiast but never over rattle-can paint. I asked around and found out from a local paint shop that adding a fisheye eliminator will take care of the problem. Sure enough I wet sanded down to the base and sprayed again with the additive ( 1 oz to 1 qt)and it came out great. At their recommendation I am using the additive for the entire coach.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	268165
Old 11-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

I use the same chemistry system from primer to base coat to clear coat and any activators and hardeners.

I also spray from color to clear within the same day whenever possible. That means, the RV was painted in sections as I can't spray the whole RV color and clear in same day (too much work). This religion keeps fish eyes from being an issue to begin with. Yes, generally the chemistry costs more. But the labor is FAR more expensive when it screws up.

Now, I did spray a side of the RV, sprayed two coats of clear and then ran out of material and a pesky RV vacation trip jumped into the middle of that....so yes, I will have to sand, clean, mask and continue to spray more clear so it flows out (the gloss).
I always go finer than 400 wet. Typically 600 wet. Sand scratch swells become an issue when too aggressive grit is used.

Tags
paint