Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Care Free vs. Dometic Slide Toppers

My last 2 RV's I had Care Free by Colorado slide toppers. On my current RV, the dealer installed Dometic.

My issue is that rain collects on the slide toppers an they sag, holding the water. When I pull the slides in, that water cascades off. However, I need to pull the slide in a little at a time (1/3 each time seems to work) because the sage is so great, the material actually gets caught up on the tube and wraps in the wrong direction. Instead of wrapping over the tube, it wraps under the tube. So I been bringing in the slides 1/3 at a time. Also, if the door side topper is full of water, a lot of the water will cascade in thru the door, so I keep the door closed when bringing in that slide.

My Care Free toppers never had that issue. I talked to the dealer about replacing the Dometic with Care Free. He said he would gladly sell me the higher priced Care Free but went on to say I would be wasting my money because the issue is that the slide outs are so much taller that the angle of the topper is not a great as my previous trailers. Sound logical, but I still wonder if the Care Free uses stronger springs to stand up to the water. He went on to say that the Care Free has a wrap around aluminum to protect the material where the Dometic does not which is the primary reason for the Care Free costing more. A previous person we spoke to at the same dealer told me last week that the Dometic is a lesser quality topper and the Care Free are top of the line. I offered to pay the difference between what I paid for the Dometic and what the Free would cost.

So my question is: What say you all? Is there really no difference?
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! I too think it's just the angle of the topper when extended.

The is the way I solved the problem!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/slide...rt-189399.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/updat...ts-282073.html

Yes, it takes a few minutes to put them up. I only use them if we are staying more than one or two nights and there is rain in the forecast.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks. Looks like I have a project when I get to Texas for the winter
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #4
WDW

Care Free vs. Dometic Slide Toppers

We’ve struggled with the same topic. So I came up with a mop to sweep the water off. It came to me after staying at Disney’s Ft Wilderness because of all of the pine needles collecting on our slides.

Here
is my solution:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5735.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	215606Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5739.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	215607

PVC, painter pole end and a car wash mop head from Walmart.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

^^. Good idea
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
^^. Good idea

Save the frustration and retract either the front or rear jacks first. . . Water flows to the low point. Works every time!
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Not recommended by American Coach with the slides out.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
My last 2 RV's I had Care Free by Colorado slide toppers. On my current RV, the dealer installed Dometic.

My issue is that rain collects on the slide toppers an they sag, holding the water. When I pull the slides in, that water cascades off. However, I need to pull the slide in a little at a time (1/3 each time seems to work) because the sage is so great, the material actually gets caught up on the tube and wraps in the wrong direction. Instead of wrapping over the tube, it wraps under the tube. So I been bringing in the slides 1/3 at a time. Also, if the door side topper is full of water, a lot of the water will cascade in thru the door, so I keep the door closed when bringing in that slide.

My Care Free toppers never had that issue. I talked to the dealer about replacing the Dometic with Care Free. He said he would gladly sell me the higher priced Care Free but went on to say I would be wasting my money because the issue is that the slide outs are so much taller that the angle of the topper is not a great as my previous trailers. Sound logical, but I still wonder if the Care Free uses stronger springs to stand up to the water. He went on to say that the Care Free has a wrap around aluminum to protect the material where the Dometic does not which is the primary reason for the Care Free costing more. A previous person we spoke to at the same dealer told me last week that the Dometic is a lesser quality topper and the Care Free are top of the line. I offered to pay the difference between what I paid for the Dometic and what the Free would cost.

So my question is: What say you all? Is there really no difference?
I have a full wall slide on a 45' so that's 30 or so feet with a single slide. It doesnt sag that much. The water should run down to the end and out the sides of the slide.

I did have new stone vos material installed and was told that after 6 months of use the springs need to be adjusted. Did you have them adjusted?

Tags
dometic, slide