Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #15

My goodness!!! Now I wonder how I've been able to get through the last 53 years of driving without having a gizmo to guide me through 1 1/2 million miles of travel, both work and pleasure.
The driving gods must surely be looking out for me!!!
Or maybe because I drive defensively, pay attention to what I'm doing, DO NOT answer a phone, DO NOT look at or reply to text messages, DO NOT play with a gps, while driving. I leave that to my wife/co-pilot.
And if I'm by myself, same rules apply.
If you need a gizmo to tell you you've screwed up, then your not paying attention to your driving. Someone cuts in front of you...you need a device to tell you that?
You cross into oncomming traffic...you need a device to tell you that?
These gadgets, gizmos, and devices can assist you, but when you have to rely on them to warn you that you'vs screwed the pooch, then again, your not paying attention to your driving.
Oh, they don"t "prevent"accidents, only warn you that you've screwed up. Only YOU can prevent an accident that you may be in control of. Someone rear ends you, hits you from the side, or crosses into YOUR lane of travel...no device will warn you of that. They only work when YOU screw up.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, tough crowd. The OP was asking about new technology, he wasn't asking how he could avoid actually driving. Years ago, cars came with drum brakes, no seat belts, and a passenger side mirror was an extra cost option, not standard. We now have backup cameras, blind spot warning devices, anti lock brakes, traction control, air bags, power heated mirrors, etc, and I doubt that any of us, grumpy included, would consider removing any of those things from our cars or RVs. So what's wrong with asking about new technology that may be available to increase the awareness and info available while driving an extremely large rig? I don't get the attacks here; how about come down from all your high horses and answer the question that the OP actually asked, rather than accuse him of unsafe driving practices?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #17

You make good points about the benefits of new technology. Sometimes a question asked in good faith triggers our strong individual opinions, and the resulting off-topic rants come cascading in to the thread.

The OP's original question was regarding adding aftermarket systems to his 5th wheel tow vehicle. A quick Google check revealed this, but no price was listed Collision Avoidance System RD-140 | Safe Drive Systems So the aftermarket systems exist, but I wonder if their cost is significantly higher than buying a vehicle with these things built in?.

My earlier comments regarding distracted driving come from my impression that things like lane departure warnings etc. may promote more people taking their eyes and thoughts off of the driving task to text, dial, or otherwise, since they have confidence that the systems will keep them out of trouble during their unsafe driving practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Wow, tough crowd. The OP was asking about new technology, he wasn't asking how he could avoid actually driving. Years ago, cars came with drum brakes, no seat belts, and a passenger side mirror was an extra cost option, not standard. We now have backup cameras, blind spot warning devices, anti lock brakes, traction control, air bags, power heated mirrors, etc, and I doubt that any of us, grumpy included, would consider removing any of those things from our cars or RVs. So what's wrong with asking about new technology that may be available to increase the awareness and info available while driving an extremely large rig? I don't get the attacks here; how about come down from all your high horses and answer the question that the OP actually asked, rather than accuse him of unsafe driving practices?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very true, George. Since this appears to be the OP's first large rig, I applaud him for asking about things that may be available to help, and I will assume that he is looking for ways to increase his awareness of his surroundings while driving what is likely an unfamiliar rig, rather than ways to decrease the "involvement/attention" required while doing so.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a mobile eye system installed on my DP and am glad I did.
dpkealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
would like more feedback on mobileye sysem.

thanks.

Lee
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #21

I'm not against technology. For instance, backup cameras are very nice as an additional tool.

That being said, Properly adjusted mirrors are paramount. I do not have any blindspots. I will say that adjusting mirrors so that I can see my truck, seems pretty silly. I know where my truck is, I need to know where others are. So, I tend to have the mirrors set to just the point where I lose sight of my truck. If it's going to be close in a parking lot, a slight head movement solves that problem.

I also tend to use the convex mirrors much more than the regular mirrors when on the road..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am working on a system based on a TV ad for a car with 4, count them 4 cameras. When I'm done I will have ... more than that.

Two high mounted "Security" cameras (Sitting beside me as I type) these are day/night jobs designed for home/Commercial security, Got them from All Electronics, not too bad price wise, Weather proof, hoded, and infra red lights for night use without heatlights.

A pair of "Rear View" cameras I have one already for testing, have not yet tested, These will be LOW mounted, likely below the mirror assemblies or on "Clam shell" enclosures on the sides of the RV.. For the areas the HIGH cameras miss.

Another Rear camera and a nose camera (Need to work on that one some, broken connector)

There is already a side view camera for gas pumps.. But that's not importnat

Except for the factory REAR view which is Camera A on the monitor all these will be fed to a "Stunt Box" (Security camera controller) so I can display a grid featuring,,, I hope... The GPS screen on this laptop (HDMI if it works) and 3 of the cameras.. Two side and one rear.

The box may also send a six or 8 grid to a DVR... Thus providing a surround security or travel record.

Imagine how nice it will be when some gent with a license of 1 D 10 T comes up on me like I'm standing still (I'm doing 60 per the GPS) flys by me and rear ends the steel hauler.... If he survives he's going to tell a story that .. Will not be supported by the DVD I'll burn for the investigative officer.. not even close.

But the 4 camera grid will be look good on the Rear View Monitor B so long as I'm forward bound (In reverse it switches to A automatically)

Of course... If there is a co-pilot out there.. I do have an opening.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Makes me not want to ask any questions of the group.
Almost as bad as asking a gun group what is better, 9mm or 45cal.
paddykern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Almost as bad as asking a gun group what is better, 9mm or 45cal.
Well, that one is easy! [emoji2]
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #25

I agree that these devices should be used in conjunction with safe driving practices, not as a replacement.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Fan33 View Post
I agree that these devices should be used in conjunction with safe driving practices, not as a replacement.
RV_Fan33

However the future of "safe driving practices", (aka: "driving skill"), looks bleak.....there are already people who can't drive a car unless it has an automatic transmission.
Soon there will be people who can't drive a vehicle without collision avoidance, lane departure, and blind spot view systems.

I may be old, (and I might be grumpy), but I'm happy to say that I can drive without the aid of gadgets/gizmos ...(have for 59 years).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
RV_Fan33

However the future of "safe driving practices", (aka: "driving skill"), looks bleak.....there are already people who can't drive a car unless it has an automatic transmission.
A manual transmission is now considered an "anti-theft" device!!
Old 05-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #28

Lateral sensor array for RVs

I'm on my 3rd motorhome and it has side and rear view cameras. I leave the rear camera on all the time. The side cameras are not useful at all, activated by the turn signal and showing not what's behind you, only next to you with no perspective, so you can't tell if the vehicle you're passing is behind you or next to you. The rear view camera and side mirrors give me better information. The blind spot on the driver side is minimal and those mirrors work well. On the passenger side, there is a large blind spot right behind the entry door. At night, camera glare makes the cameras useless at which time, you're relying on your mirrors and hope that the other drivers have their lights on. While in 35 years of RVing, I have never hit anybody, lane changes at night, especially when towing a car behind, takes much greater caution.

My Chevy Bolt EV has blind spot detection. It is not flawless, but works pretty well. I read an article on collision avoidance systems in the November 2019 MotorHome magazine. Mobileye was mentioned, but it only warns of forward collisions, not side ones. As of this posting, I am not aware of any after-market blind-spot warning systems for RVs.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote