Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Contoure coffee maker

We finally found and tested a really good RV coffee maker. Actually, it is designed for boats and we found it on a marine accessories web site. The brand name is Contoure. They were sold out when we checked and we had to wait about six weeks but it was worth it.

The unit is basically cube shaped. It can operate setting on it's base, mounted on a wall, hanging from a cabinet or flush mounted into a cabinet base if you order a trim accessory. The carafe is stainless with a broad base. We fastened ours to the wall and a cabinet bottom too for extra security. All the removable components latch into place but are easy to access with one hand. It has a digital clock and a programmable brew start timer. It takes less than 10 minutes to brew a full pot but you can remove the pot to get a cup before it is done. It is 120V only.

The coffee tastes the same as if we brew it in our stick house in our regular coffee maker. We have used it on a couple of trips now and are very pleased with it's performance and quality. The down side is price..., about a hundred dollars.

The unit is very versatile except for not having a 12V option and we highly recommend it.
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You can find a bit more info on their home page here

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400599_l.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	753  
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought about an electric coffee maker for my RV, but I prefer to use a 40+ year old stainless steel (outside & guts) w/copper bottom camp stove percolator coffee pot. The smell and sound of perking coffee, the heat of the stove taking the chill out of the air, and the memories of its' travels (hunting, fishing, RVing) is priceless. As a bonus, the coffee pot can be used outdoors above a campfire on a grate or hot coals.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

I grind my own beans, throw them into tea kettle when water is at 160 degrees and heat to 190 hence brewing french press style in bulk. I then remove from the stove and strain through paper napkin sitting in a strainer over a container. This process nets me one mug and a full thermos of truly wonderful brew.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to seem negative, but you really should read the reviews on the Contoure coffee maker before purchasing. Lots of negative stuff there.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The Mr Coffee MRX35 is similar to the Coutere and over $30 cheaper. Excellent coffee maker!

Coffee Makers - Coffee Maker, 12-Cup, Programmable - MRX35 - Mr. Coffee
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Not to seem negative, but you really should read the reviews on the Contoure coffee maker before purchasing. Lots of negative stuff there.

Dieselclacker
We searched the RV forums for reviews on "spacemaker" type coffee makers that mount to the bottom of wall cabinets. All we could find were reviews on the Black and Decker model that CW carries and they were uniformly bad. We saw a post that mentioned the Contoure as an alternative so we gave it a try and have been very satisfied.

Where did you find the reviews you mentioned?
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon amongst others. Couple of the boat supply places also had some bad reviews posted. Believe most of the problems were with the water reservoir valve leaking at the bottom. Also inability to empty caraffe completely was mentioned on a few of the reviews. Go to the coffee makers website look for suppliers, and then read reviews.
All that is important is that you are happy with your purchase, regardless of what the reviews say.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:

Dieselclacker
The major issue with the Contoure Coffee Maker was a problem in a batch of the clear plastic water reservoirs. they leaked on occasion, due to internal heat in the brewing process. This has been corrected with a more heat tolerant plastic. I am one of the owners of SmallSpacesAppliances, Compact Kitchen Appliances - Home and have lots of very happy customers.
Rkettling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I thought about an electric coffee maker for my RV, but I prefer to use a 40+ year old stainless steel (outside & guts) w/copper bottom camp stove percolator coffee pot. The smell and sound of perking coffee, the heat of the stove taking the chill out of the air, and the memories of its' travels (hunting, fishing, RVing) is priceless. As a bonus, the coffee pot can be used outdoors above a campfire on a grate or hot coals.
By Golly, you sold me! Never thought about it that way. Going to put my old camping percolator back in the coach. That's what the propane stove is for, right? Also have a little butane stove, like chefs use to make omelettes at Sunday brunches. That ought to attract everyone to your campsite, sitting out on the picnic table.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I grind my own beans, throw them into tea kettle when water is at 160 degrees and heat to 190 hence brewing french press style in bulk. I then remove from the stove and strain through paper napkin sitting in a strainer over a container. This process nets me one mug and a full thermos of truly wonderful brew.
Ed , Are those the same kind of coffee beans the monkey's ate
in the movie "Bucket List"
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Amazon amongst others. Couple of the boat supply places also had some bad reviews posted. Believe most of the problems were with the water reservoir valve leaking at the bottom. Also inability to empty caraffe completely was mentioned on a few of the reviews. Go to the coffee makers website look for suppliers, and then read reviews.
All that is important is that you are happy with your purchase, regardless of what the reviews say.

Dieselclacker
I can't seem to find this item on Amazon.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This looks like an updated Black and Decker (GE) Spacemaker Unit! The B&D Carafes don't keep the Coffee Hot for very long. How good is this one??
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have gone through 4 Contoure coffeemakers. They all malfuctioned in a few different ways ie: excessive steam, leaking resevoir, etc. Finally the company returned my full purchase price for the coffeemaker. Also in order to get all brewed coffee out of the stainless steel carafe it was neccessary to completely invert the carafe. Its a shame because I really liked the look and design. I settled for a Black and Decker with a glass carafe it turns itself off in 2 hrs but I would rather have the stainless insulated pot with no hot plate.