Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crossfire equalizer, darn you iRV2, looks like more $$$

Saw a post about the Crossfire equalizer system for rear wheels. Product info sounds good.

How do they look on aluminum rims?

Anybody have problems buying them for a specific PSI setting, then end up needing a different pressure in the rear tires?

I truly thought i was done buying stuff for the coach.......will it ever end?

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is also a product named "Catseye", I think. Have seen them on semis.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

Are you planning to use these in place of a TPMS? If so, I prefer TPMS having had several tire failures when we had our TT. I have heard people say you can use a TPMS with this system, but I haven't seen that from the manufacturer. It doesn't make sense to me that something that is designed to prevent one tire failure from affecting the other by sealing the connection would then allow the TPMS sensor to activate, maybe it does. Finally there is the issue that the two tires are connected via braided hoses, something that others feel is problematic when one asks about valve extension hoses. Personally, I use extension hoses and individual sensors for my TPMS. I do have a siamese hose that I can use to equalize pressure when necessary.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do they look on aluminum rims,< Just fine,

Specific PSI,, Get your rig weighted (Each corner) and find out the PSI before you order them.. The setting is very adjustable at the factory before they lock it down.

NOTE: I have Simulators over Steel rims, Unit still looks good, but.. I can not connect it with the simulators in place.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Installed crossfires 8 years ago. Removed center cap and put SS lug nut covers on. Put new hoses on last year. Amazon seems to have best price for them.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have been running the Crossfire system on all three of our RV's for the past 20+ years now and swear by them.

Weigh the coach and get the proper tire pressure off of the tire manufacturers weight vs. tire chart and then order the correct Crossfire for the appropriate pressure required.

I believe they are available in 5 psi increments.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the Crossfires with TST TPMS - 5 years and no problems.

I think using a TPMS is the priority tire safety feature, but think of this:
Without crossfires you need 6 TMPS sensors. With crossfire you only need 4 sensors. So, there is some cost offset as well as the safety features advertised by Crossfire.

You know - when you have an RV and the upgrades are never ending
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

OK, has anyone with both the Crossfire AND a TPMS suffered a tire failure and the single sensor signaled the failure? I guess I don't understand how a sensor would work when the system seals the link between the two tires.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #9

I have 2 sensors on each Crossfire. You can see them in my picture above. Had a blowout on inner rear tire last winter. Alarm went off. But heard blowout noise before alarm went off. When I put system back together I installed only one sensor per Crossfire. Have not had a problem with setup. A slow leak on one tire will lower pressure on both tires. I called Dual-Dynamics direct to get hoses for second sensor.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
OK, has anyone with both the Crossfire AND a TPMS suffered a tire failure and the single sensor signaled the failure? I guess I don't understand how a sensor would work when the system seals the link between the two tires.
Good point. When the window tufns black, the internsl vakve is closed. Tire no longer connected.

Dan
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When one tire goes, there is a loss of several PSI prior to isolation. On a slow leak I think that was 10 to 12 PSI.
Keep in mind that most blow outs are caused by under inflation = more friction = increasing tire temperature.
If you hit something like a nasty board full of nails the tire won't 'blow out' until it has run low on pressure then heated up. The TPMS would catch this.
Now if you run over a parked car or snow plow blade and blow a tire, you wouldn't need the TPMS to tell you something bad happened.

That window turning 'black' is a real nice feature. In the winter I pull my TPMS and run the RV monthly for maintenance. I can just use the window to check tire pressure. On cold mornings you can see the 'yellow' indicator hovering at the bottom of the window and as the tire warms up the 'yellow' rises up to the center.

Another big plus is the easy access to the tire valve (for both tires). My duallies were a PIA to check/fill prior to 'crossfire' and I would tend to let a few PSI slip due to laziness. I had valve extenders and one of those leaked costing me a tire. Crossfire is just better built.

I'm not trying to sell anything - I'm just a satisfied customer with 5 year experience trying to assist in understanding.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
There is also a product named "Catseye", I think. Have seen them on semis.
Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
Jim T
That would be these: Cat&#039;s EyeŽ - Link
I've had them on my rear duallys since '02, (for over 115k miles).
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

CrossFire will put an extra Tee inline in each hose for pressure monitors. When I ordered mine, I ordered 85psi, but now with new tires I run them at 95psi. It doesn't hurt the Crossfire and it still equalizes the pressure. Call the company and they will assemble whatever you need.
How to Order - Dual Dynamics
Old 02-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
CrossFire will put an extra Tee inline in each hose for pressure monitors. When I ordered mine, I ordered 85psi, but now with new tires I run them at 95psi. It doesn't hurt the Crossfire and it still equalizes the pressure. Call the company and they will assemble whatever you need.
How to Order - Dual Dynamics
Be careful here. Since the internal valve is set for 85, I am pretty sure if you get a leak in one tire, both tires will eqyslize down to about 80 psi before the isolation valve closes.

But I am sure your TPMS alarm will sound before that happens.

Regards,

Dan

Tags
fire