Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Dash camera with GPS (to stamp the video, not to use for directions) recommendations

We recently became convinced of the necessity of having a dash camera in our RV when traveling. All my research has increased my knowledge of the topic, but still falls well short of equipping me to choose and purchase one. Further, I have become convinced that the camera that we buy should have enough GPS capability to stamp the video with the location of it. Please forward any search suggestions, or purchase recommendations that you have to me. Comments on the necessity of GPS capability are also invited and welcomed. Thank you in advance for your generous help as I try to solve this problem.
harrierncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:52 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrierncd View Post
We recently became convinced of the necessity of having a dash camera in our RV when traveling. All my research has increased my knowledge of the topic, but still falls well short of equipping me to choose and purchase one. Further, I have become convinced that the camera that we buy should have enough GPS capability to stamp the video with the location of it. Please forward any search suggestions, or purchase recommendations that you have to me. Comments on the necessity of GPS capability are also invited and welcomed. Thank you in advance for your generous help as I try to solve this problem.
Here is the one we bought VIOFO A119S Full HD 1080p 60fps Car Dash Camera you can get the gps with it as well. It takes up to 128GB micro sd card wich will record a full day of travel. I wouldn't buy one that takes less than a 64gb sd card. We've been using it in my wife's car for almost 2 years. Good luck on your decision.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Garmin (THE auto GPS company, in my mind) make dash cams

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c11880-c11881-p1.html
Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #4

I have a Garmin Dashcam 45 mounted behind my TV up front. It’s basically invisible to people when we are moving. Does a great job catching video of nearly the entire front of us. Hope to never have to use it to validate any driving. I put in a 32GB microSD card and wired a 12V cigarette lighter adapter to a switched fuse in the panel so it comes on automatically when we start the engine.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #5

I chose the Thinkware 800, time stamps with location and / or date time. Good resolution and a quality sensor. There's a lot of cheap stuff out there. Batteries don't do well in dash heat, better ones use capacitors. This one's also wired up to monitor when parked.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

I use the Garmin 65W which I can control by voice. No batteries, tethered to 12v supply, GPS coordinates.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Here is the one we bought VIOFO A119S Full HD 1080p 60fps Car Dash Camera you can get the gps with it as well. It takes up to 128GB micro sd card wich will record a full day of travel. I wouldn't buy one that takes less than a 64gb sd card. We've been using it in my wife's car for almost 2 years. Good luck on your decision.
Great! Thank you for the information! :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Garmin (THE auto GPS company, in my mind) make dash cams

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c11880-c11881-p1.html
Thank you for the link! :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I have a Garmin Dashcam 45 mounted behind my TV up front. It’s basically invisible to people when we are moving. Does a great job catching video of nearly the entire front of us. Hope to never have to use it to validate any driving. I put in a 32GB microSD card and wired a 12V cigarette lighter adapter to a switched fuse in the panel so it comes on automatically when we start the engine.
Excellent, and thank you for the information! :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I chose the Thinkware 800, time stamps with location and / or date time. Good resolution and a quality sensor. There's a lot of cheap stuff out there. Batteries don't do well in dash heat, better ones use capacitors. This one's also wired up to monitor when parked.
Thank you for the information! :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I use the Garmin 65W which I can control by voice. No batteries, tethered to 12v supply, GPS coordinates.
Thank you for the information! :-)
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #12

I found this link https://dashcamtalk.com/
helpful when I was looking. Bought the Viofo previously mentioned. I have two, one in the motor home and one in my toad.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

VIOFO A119S V2 DashCam, used one for a year, love it.
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #14

You might want to keep in mind that GPS on your dash cam video can be a two-edged sword. It could be used against you regarding assigning liability if it captures you speeding or committing some other violation or unsafe act.
If you want location documentation use the camera on your smartphone to take a picture. It probably doesn't matter what you are photographing. Any photo taken at the scene should document time, date and GPS coordinates.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dash, gps