Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Dash Cams

I've been reading a lot at this forum trying to learn from others. i've got the answers to most of my questions but, now have watched a few you tube videos from people who use dash cams. They seem like a good idea but, I want a gps, tire monitors, and rear camera, and I've got to have the phone handy. I won't have a view If I add anymore. I know Garmin has a model with a camera built in but not in the rv model. I think it also has forward collision alert. Are others concerned with this? Seems like road rage is becoming the norm.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Not sure about road rage, but inconsiderate or just plain ignorance when it comes to people knowing the space needed for large vehicles/trucks to stop. It is difficult to leave enough space when folks fill any gap you leave in front for stopping in traffic. The biggest thing I have noticed is folks who don't pay attention when trying to merge onto a highway.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I've got dash cams in both of my vehicles. They're quite small so you don't really notice them there. I did NOT buy the most expensive ones (I think there were about $60 each, or something in that neighborhood). They take so-so video, not something you'd want to watch if you were trying to enjoy the movie, but fine for their intended purpose.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

Several people have installed dash cams for insurance purposes, drivers are getting crazy! I installed a Yi dash cam, went on YouTube and it was rated very high by Dash Cam Central. Not terribly expensive, about $60 on Amazon.

Now if an accident were to occur I have video evidence! One person on YouTube had video of hitting a deer, insurance company didn't dispute anything because the person had video of the deer running out in front of him.

I like having the cam so much I'm probably going to buy a second one for my daily driver. Also watch the Dash Cam Central video on what type of memory card to buy, very interesting!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #5

Well depending on the age of the TV most of that can be had in the "radio". even older TV can have many of those features included in an aftermarket stereo.

My Dash cam really is a "Dash" cam, more like a windshield cam! It is small and discrete.

I have a 32 Gb mini SD card in it good for about six hours of recording. It hides behind my rear-view mirror.

Here is an early video, I have since reduced clips to 1 minute.

http://vid1191.photobucket.com/album...psbd7f9076.mp4
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a DKLinks X1 dash cam and used it on a week long trip recently. The image quality is very good. I can pull individual images from the files and do what ever I want with them. It was more expensive than some, but it has a higher temperature rating than many, so you can leave it mounted in the windshield on hot days without cooking the electronics. I don't think all of the lower end models will stand up to southwest summers. Also take a look at the low temperature limits as when you need to get them inside.

The 64GB microSD card stored well over 12 hours of driving time without looping back. Not sure what it's real storage limit will be. I just pull the card from the dash cam if we've seen anything neat and save those files to my laptop.

I've read about some folks adding a second one on the rear end of their rigs to record action from those other stupid driver's stunts.

Back to the OP. DW said my dash is starting to look like the cockpit of a plane as I've added electronic goodies as you talked about. One thing I did was to install a Blue Seas 12 volt fuse distribution panel under the center console so I can fuse all these gizmos right there. Ran a 6ga. wire (40 amp.) from a relay mounted under the hood to my new fuse box for main. power. This keeps the dash area clear of loose power wires. One other recent addition was a MaxSignal cell phone booster, nice unit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

I have the Garmin Dash Cam 20 it works great but I cant view the videos out of it, so it is useless to me. Is there any way to view what it records. It uses the micro card.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I have the Garmin Dash Cam 20 it works great but I cant view the videos out of it, so it is useless to me. Is there any way to view what it records. It uses the micro card.
You can get a standard size SD adapter for the micro SD card, then select the correct video player for your PC/laptop.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Been using my GoPro camera as a dash cam for years. It takes excellent HD video and audio that can be played back on my PC or TV. Also use it on my quad and when not traveling, in my truck. I second the comment about crazy drivers who pull in front of you and do a brake check. If I happen to hit one of these clowns the highway patrol would be interested in the video. I have mine set up in an endless loop that runs about 4 hours on a 64 GB SD card then just overwrites the beginning of the video.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of features that may be of interest in dash cams: 1) collision detection, automatically locks down the recording after a serve stop; 2) how to wire it in so it automatically comes on with the engine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
Danny, I also use the Garmin 20 and it works quite well.
First, I bought a 64G high speed SD card with the removable Micro Card. Simply remove the micro and put it into the SD holder, plug it into your PC or lap top to view.
Second, I found the suction cup mount kept falling off so I bought a stick on windshield mount off Amazon and put one in the toad and one in the coach.
I bought a separate power cord for the Garmin and now have both hardwired in place so I can snap the Garmin off the mount and switch it from coach to toad easily.

https://www.amazon.com/IG-PSTARA-i-T...armin+Nuvi+GPS

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11...+20+power+cord
Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #12

I asked for one for Christmas.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I asked for one for Christmas.....
Our Daughter gave us a Polaroid brand cam for Christmas. Works good so far.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

I've had two near misses, both of which would have been the fault of the other driver. One was a dumba$$ who moved into my lane before completing the pass and the other was road rage because I didn't yield when I had the right of way. So I just watched CarCam Central for their budget recommendations and found the #1 rated Viofo A119 for $72 and ordered it.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash