Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 01:37 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered Boogey lights for my first project - awning and am thrilled with the quality of this kit. Seems like the right place to go for led lighting. Bluetooth control allows my phone to control the lights (color and animations). Can’t wait to install.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I ordered Boogey lights for my first project - awning and am thrilled with the quality of this kit. Seems like the right place to go for led lighting. Bluetooth control allows my phone to control the lights (color and animations). Can’t wait to install.
Way to go Neal. It's an easy project. Just take your time, plan out the installation (particularly the wiring aspect) and be sure to use the supplied primer. As they caution, once you "stick-em" there "stuck" (i.e. no forgiveness).

Be sure to write up your install and share it along with photos with us here in the forum.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Way to go Neal. It's an easy project. Just take your time, plan out the installation (particularly the wiring aspect) and be sure to use the supplied primer. As they caution, once you "stick-em" there "stuck" (i.e. no forgiveness).

Be sure to write up your install and share it along with photos with us here in the forum.

Will do. I just have to figure out where I’m going to get the power lead into the coach and tap into wires. I am thinking two options:

1) find the outlet for the microwave and drill thru and into this cabinet and use the 110 to 12v adapter and plug into the 110. It also has the room for the light controller box.

2) or try to run wire down to the basement which has the electronics such as AGS controller etc and tap into 12v somewhere.

3) run a line in near the awning bracket on forward edge and then down the wall and tap into the patio light switch.

Anyone that’s added awning lights I’d love to hear how you ran the power cord.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Attached from my previous posts in another section of the IRV2 forums are some additional photos including comments of how I fished/ran wiring from the chassis battery compartment forward

Attachment 188651

Attachment 188652

Attachment 188653

Attachment 188654
I wanted to come back to this particular post and state that final completion of my project included my going back to the section of 1/2" split loom conduit and wiring I ran through the open channel found inside the rear wheel well (which allowed me to fun it from the rear/chassis battery compartment forward into the front basement compartments). To secure the loom inside the open channel I used spray expanding foam by adding a section of 3/8's hose to the spray foam canister then by reaching in and up to the open channel sprayed a bead of the foam along the channel which in affect served to expand and encapsulate the loom in place inside of the channel (if all this makes sense). The result being that the foam fills all voids, dries quickly and hardens forming a secure bond such that wheel wash from the rear drive/tag axles/wheels & tires will not effect the loom nor the wiring inside of it and was an easy way to secure it in place. After the foam expanded and hardened in place, I simply ran a long edged razor knife along the edge of the channel in order to trim off any excess foam then finished by over-spraying it with some 3M undercoating. The split loom is now fully enclosed inside the channel and protected.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Will do. I just have to figure out where I’m going to get the power lead into the coach and tap into wires.
I don't remember which of these smart guys said this, it was either TeJay or Twinboat - but he pointed out to someone that there is always hot 12 volt at the generator. Might be a place where you could get power for your lights.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Will do. I just have to figure out where I’m going to get the power lead into the coach and tap into wires. I am thinking two options:
Neal,

Suggest you call Newmar CS and ask them to tell you where they would recommend you find, source and tie into your existing 12vDC.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If I put the lights up at the awning base I think I would be fine. However the kitchen slide and topper would block the lights so I think I need to put the lights on the slide below the topper tube. Then the question is getting inside the slide. I may tape the lights up on the awning base and see what happens. Not going to rush this. I may have to pay an expert or Newmar to do this.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If I put the lights up at the awning base I think I would be fine. However the kitchen slide and topper would block the lights so I think I need to put the lights on the slide below the topper tube. Then the question is getting inside the slide. I may tape the lights up on the awning base and see what happens. Not going to rush this. I may have to pay an expert or Newmar to do this.
Well, you already know that labor is the real cost driver so if paying someone else it gets expensive real quick. When you mention the awning base are you speaking of the fixed portion or the end section of the canopy awning? I'll admit Im unfamiliar with the Ventana in terms of its awnings. If on the other hand your speaking of the outer end section of your canopy awning installation would be a breeze just a matter of running the wire back through the hinged frame supports and finding where you want to tap into the 12v DC and install your controller.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
So as not to hijack this great thread looking for help in my LED install on my Ventana I started a new thread. Thanks Rick for your help thus far.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/led-...na-375901.html
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Felt compelled to come back to this thread and post some additional photos that again may hopefully help others contemplating their own DIY installation of LEDs on the underside of their MH/Coach....

LED RR Section mounted behind tag axle and along bottom edge of side radiator. Here I used 1/2" aluminum stand-offs on the 3/4" aluminum angle bracing to space the LED light strip off and away from the radiator support frame. Also includes 2-wire M/F connector that will permit the radiator grille to be opened for servicing without removal of the LED lights.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4366.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	190072
Rear Fascia/Bumper Section spanning width of coach. As shown, here I used some 1" wide aluminum flat stock (bar) to mount the LED channel to and sealed the ends with RVT to mitigate water intrustion.

Name:	IMG_4369.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	190073
Rear Fascia/Bumper Suspension of LED Mounting Channel. Here I used the 1/4" stainless all thread which allowed me to adjust the height/level the span of aluminum across the width of the rear. Using the all thread also allowed me to choose random points on the underside of the facia and mount to various points in the existing structural sheet metal.

Name:	IMG_4370.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	190074
Securing of split loom inside inner Rear Axle Wheel Well channel. As seen, I used aerosol spray foam to secure the 1/2" split loom conduit that is laid in the channel running from the chassis battery compartment up into the forward basement area. The foam expanded to fill the channel void space and thus encapsulated the wire loom which was afterwards coated with 3M Undercoating to further protect against wheel wash from the drive/tag axles.

Name:	IMG_4374.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	190075
Another view of the split loom secured inside the channel using spray foam (prior to being trimmed and undercoated)

Name:	IMG_4375.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	190076
Entrance Door Step Mounting of LED light strip.. Partially visible here, I once again used a section of the 3/4" aluminum angle extrusion and bolted it to the fixed ends of the step rails.

Name:	IMG_4377.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	190077
Example of the LED light strip mounted to underside belly frame between steer and drive axles. As seen, use of the supplied aluminum extrusion channel and diffuser panels permit a secure enclosure to protect the LEDs from road hazards as well as making them easy to clean (by wiping).

Name:	IMG_4371.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	190078

This thread and previous post serve to complete the summary of my DIY installation of Boogey Lights Under Glow full coach body surround LED lighting As stated in my initial post these have been provided solely for the purpose of helping others whom may be contemplating their own personal and similar installation.

Should anyone want or desire more info on my project, please PM me.

Happy to Share.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
POST/THREAD #24 CORRECTION

Apologies, I realized after posting the above thread that what I referred to in the 1st photo as being the LED RR Section mounted behind tag axle and along bottom edge of side radiator is actually the LR (or driver's side rear body section that host the side radiator and is located aft of the tax axle extending to the rear fascia of the coach).
Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Additional Info: Making use of surplus LED lighting (cut off sections)

Having had some leftover/surplus LED lighting strip from my project I made use of a 3' section by installing inside my wet bay basement compartment. An easy, 20 minute job, I tapped into the Pos (+) wire of the existing small switched 12v dome light that Newmar installs on the left corner wall and to a common ground. The additional light provided by the LED is apparent and will serve well when needing to work in the compartment at night.

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	190338

Next up will be to add some LED lighting strip to the Generator slide compartment (presently no lighting provided), the front Chassis Electrical basement compartment (has small switched 12v Dome) and the rear Engine Compartment (also has small switched 12v Dome). Adding more light to these area is for service work only.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #27

What an excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to detail every step of the install. I'm looking forward to doing this sometime this summer... This post is an awesome primer. Safe travels!
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #28

Ok well I’m buying your coach when you upgrade knowing how meticulous you are on a project like this! Great job and what a write up! Subscribing for sure!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, light