Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doran TPMS

I have owned my Doran TPMS for just over 4 years. over the last year or so i notice i was having issues with receiving signals on some of the monitors. I thought it was just time to replace due to battery life ($50 each). i took them to Doran here locally, and they tested the system and found some of the sensors were having a software glitch on them now. they offered to replace six of them at their cost. the product only had a one year warranty. the other four were ok just needed replace due to battery life. this was great news, save me some $$$ for sure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, what excellent customer service. We bought the Doran TPMS a few months ago and have had no problems with them.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
they now have short extension where you can add air to the tire without taking the TPMS off. $10 a piece. makes it easier when adjusting the air pressure.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My Doran 10 wheel TPMS is barely 2 years old. I now have 4 sensors currently at the Doran shop for the techs to see why I have been getting Lost Signals when using them.

One in particular was not working at all when that tire went flat on my trailer and I didn't realize it. A fine Canadian in Calgary let me know and I ended up having to buy two new tires as a result. One to replaced the shredded flat tire and the other to replace the adjacent good tire that unfortunately had gotten fractured internally from the excess weight. Needless to say my trailer sustained some damage to it also. I was NOT a happy camper that day.

I had to buy 2 new sensors just to finish my trip from Florida to Anchorage Alaska because of the two sensors that were only working intermittently. Later in the trip another two sensors started acting similarly.

It will be interesting to see what they find out to be the problem with my sensors and how they resolve it.

They state that the sensors are not temperature sensitive but during my 6000 mile journey, I found that they are and I have data to prove it. Whether it turns out to be the seals or the internal circuit board, I will post the results when I hear back from them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just heard back from Debbi of Doran Mfg. regarding the status of the four sensors that I had sent to them for testing.

The really bad one is being replaced by Doran free. It seems that they are claiming the seal was damaged and moisture had gotten into the chip rendering it unusable. The second one which was almost as bad will not be replaced by Doran so I am having it replaced, $30. The other two, they are claiming that both have very strong signals and they cannot figure out why they would give a Lost Signal so they are being sent back.

Truthfully, if I have numerous Lost Signals with these sensors I will be looking at another system to buy that will be 100% reliable.

I lost two tires on my trailer this past trip to Alaska because of a sensor not reporting a signal correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Richard, I am curious, are you using the extended range transmitter?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fred,

Yes, I am using the Signal Booster in the rear closet. With hauling a 30 foot trailer behind me, I wanted to make sure I had the long rig covered.

I have recently discovered that the one tire from the right front of my coach where I had one sensor that was giving me some erratic problems was due to faulty stem valve depth. I tried two other sensors there without success. I backed the valve out ever so slightly without having it leak air and tried it again, and it worked.

I now think it may be a good idea to replace stem valves periodically just as a precautionary step.

I do NOT leave the sensors on 24/7, so they get taken off whenever we plan to be in one location for a long period of time. It is possible that by screwing them on and off so many times that the stem valves are changing in dimension just enough to cause the sensors not to work correctly.

At least that is one scenario I will be looking at closer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #8

New to this site ... seems to have a vast range of experience. My Doran experience has not been as good as many. Bought in late 2010, I regularly get alarms and recently "Lost Signal" alerts. They seem to all go away after several minutes when the software cycles through the 12 sensors on my rig. However, I have had one major disappointment. When traveling through a construction area, one sensor on our tow was broken off letting all the air out of the tire and leaving the sensor somewhere in the dust. The Doran System never realized and never reported the sensor missing. Another driver flagged us down about 5 miles down the road about the flat, shredded tire on the tow. I called Doran, they told me that the system is not designed to flag a suddenly missing sensor and it also can not flag a sudden blow out either. They apologized sent a replacement sensor at a "discounted" cost. Why does the system take so long to cycle through the sensors (five minutes or so)? Sounds like a software problem. I have 12 sensors, and to replace them all when the batteries go bad will cost about $500.00. I am investigating other systems that will report lost/missing sensors sooner than five minutes. Replacing a shredded tire isn't cheap nor convenient either.
acosentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I can NO longer recommend the Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring System to anyone for purchase.

I have had their 10 tire system installed since May of 2010. Since then I have put on over 36,000 miles and each segment of any trip during that time, I have had one or more Lost Signal alerts from various sensors.

I have worked with Debbi of their RV sales division and it hasn't been completely satisfactory every time. I have contacted them so much now with information regarding what I think is the problem with Lost Signals that she now just forwards my emails to their engineering department and I never hear whether anything has CHANGED or IMPROVED.

Their system is NOT 100% reliable especially the sensors. Therefore, I will be looking at replacing this system with one that is similar in use but 100% reliable.

When the Doran is working fully with a Green Light status light on, it has reported one slow leak & one flat tire that I have had during that time. However, with another flat tire that I had, the sensor on that specific tire wasn't reporting correctly at the time, Lost Signal Alert and the tire was shredded before someone stopped me to tell me about it. That incident cost me two tires and two new sensors.

So far, from what most people report, the Pressure Pro System seems to be the BEST overall. However, I will be evaluating ALL systems except for the one that goes inside the wheel. I believe that company no longer supports their RV division for their TPMS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to read that some are having good luck with their Doran systems. Unfortunately, I'm in the other camp after using my Doran 360 for 4 years and over 40,000 miles. I have a 10 sensor system with their signal booster.

I've had no problem at all with Lost Sensor alarms or false alarms being reported.

However, I have had to replace at least 12 sensors so far. They just seem to drop like flies.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

I have used Pressure Pro for 10 years or so and it has saved my bacon on several occasions. Great customer service, as well.
I like knowing what the tire pressure is. My TP system that came with the MADP didn't do that.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I did look at Pressure Pro BUT they need to update their technology with what the competition is offering specifically sensors with replaceable batteries.

The replacement TPMS that I did purchase is called Tire SafeGuard and it is far better than the Pressure Pro TPMS system.

Extremely reliable with a decent screen.

I'm now a Happy Camper!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
We went with Truck Systems Technology TPMS. I have only had it out for one trip but it performed flawlessly. The batteries in these units can be swapped out as well. The other little feature I like is that you require a special tool to remove them, preventing theft. When I winterize the rig I will take the sensors off.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote