RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Entry door window shade

Has anyone tried the Blackout EZTM RV Window Cover on their entry door glass?

https://blackoutez.com/RV-Window-Cover

They custom make a cover to fit the window and it looks like they use velcro to attach it to the door. I considered replacing the frosted glass with the "slim shade" but I'd rather a simpler solution.

I'm also considering just use the Camco Reflective Door Sun Shade, but it doesn't block out all the light.

Thanks

Bob

BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #2

We just replaced the frosted glass with a "Slim shade" this spring - really glad we did - good tint, easy to see out, easy install. Can pull the shade for all but the last inch or 2 and can still see out if needed.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

I need blackout for all my windows when I astronomy camp. I bought a roll of reflectex and use velcro for the window on the door. I just put it between the window and the shades for the rest of the windows. Keeps the sunlight out when sleeping in. Keeps my inside trailer light from leaking out and being visible by other astronomers outside.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We made our own for the bathroom skylight. I suppose you could make one ( or buy the one you posted ). It worked well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	251215

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

I thought an update was in order!

The shade that I mentioned in my original post looked nice, but no one seemed to know anything about it. It came with a couple options, which I wasn't sure on, so I called the company and left a message and I also emailed them. Well I never heard from back from them...not a word! That combined with the fact that the shade was attached to the RV door with glued on Velcro strips which I wasn't sure how that would work long term, not to mention that it was also a tad pricey, I decided to keep searching for a shade.

I then found a shade uses snaps to attach to the door for $23.95 on Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

They make the shade to fit a standard door window. The instructions tell you to remove a screw from each corner and replace it with screw and snap that is supplied with the shade. Easy enough, right??? Wrong...Unfortunately our trailer door window doesn't have any screws! I contacted the company looking for a template of sorts so I could install it. Well they recommended against drilling into my door molding. Well I took a chance and bought it anyway.

I taped the shade using blue tape over the RV door window positioning it where it should be. Then I very carefully marked the where the snaps hit the corners of the plastic door molding. I then drilled a tiny pilot hole in the center where a snap should be installed, only drilling deep enough to penetrate the plastic molding. I then removed the bit from the drill and poked it into the hole and the bit went in about 3/8” before it hit something solid. I just wanted to make sure that snap with its self tapping screw didn’t hit anything inside the door and it didn’t. Then I screwed one snap (the ones that came with the shade) to the door. Then I attached the cover using the one snap and I pulled it taught. I marked where the next snap needed to be and installed as I did the first. I just needed to make sure that I ONLY drilled thru the black plastic molding and no deeper. I did this for the remainder of the snaps and the shade now fits perfectly flat on the door! I recognize that the snaps are only screwed into plastic, but it shouldn’t be an issue because we won’t be taking the shade off all too often, so I’m sure that the snaps into the plastic will hold.

As for the shade itself.....It does the job, it blocks almost all of the light and it has a real nice finished look to it. It looks a whole lot better than my cheapo cardboard shade! We are very happy!
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door, wind, window