Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb First Aid Kits

I have a small first aid kit in my motorhome which fortunately I've rarely had to use. I unfortunately just cut my finger in the office and went for the first aid kit to find the bandaids. I was thinking, wow, this is a great first aid kit, I should get one of these for the motorhome too. You never know when you may need something with a little more stuff than a compact first aid kit. So I ordered one of these to match what I have in the office and hope this helps someone else that may be looking for a first aid kit or improvement to what they already have.

https://amzn.to/2YfOBPe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first-aid-kit.png
Views:	71
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	245213  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Neil. Been looking for one with a decent case instead of a cobbled together bunch of first aid items.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

As a medical first responder on our fire department, I got used to grabbing my med bag every time we head out. I found that I was hauling more than I needed and finally reduced back to a kit similar to what is shown. Worse event is when I went to assist a fellow camper who was diabetic. When I did a blood draw on her for a glucose reading, she went bananas and said that she needed all the blood touch equipment. Needless to say, all the equipment got thrown away and replaced. Not sure why she freaked, did not want to ask.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

I married a woman who is a BsN Cardiac Cath Lab nurse. She keeps our first aid supplies organized and up to date.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
From my tenting/backpacking days I carry an REI Co-op Camper First Aid kit in the trailer and the Backpacker kit in the truck. I also keep a Sawyer Bite/Sting kit, Sawyer ChitoSAM hemostatic dressings and a Sawyer SAM splint in the trailer.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
As a Boy Scout Leader, I preached having first-aid gear available. I have kits in the coach, the toad, my everyday driver, the house, my backpack, and soon-to-be cycle. I find that I use them all regularly helping motorists, hikers, and others that I encounter along my way. The kit the OP shows is a great all-purpose collection. I have the training, so I carry a little bit more.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered the one in the OP and it was a little too big for my needs in the MH so I ordered this one, it's a smaller form factor and will fit my storage available better.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep in mind that the ointments/creams in these kits do expire. You can order replacement packages pretty cheaply

Antibiotics:
Pac-Kit by First Aid Only 12-001 Triple Antibiotic Ointment Packet (Box of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XZ5LEK..._q.Z2Cb7G2KYHX

Sting Relief:
Pac-Kit 19-002 Sting Relief Wipes (Box of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QXR4Q0..._Uf02CbWC0Q8NK

Aspirin and bandaids can be replaced as needed.
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #9

We keep bandaids, antibiotic cream, alcohol(both pads and a bottle), and Bactine in the TT. Should we need anything more than that, we're off for the urgent care or ER!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a backpack, yes a backpack, that the wife put together from our boating days. She thought we would be hours away from help so she put together a first aid kit and used the list of stuff for a trauma kit - less the doctor stuff. Any how the back pack moved to the van when the boat was sold and now is on the MH. She goes through it every few years to replace the out of date stuff.

I'll tell you that in a serious cut or something those little kits supply very little and if more than one person is hurt you could have a problem. Also, if it's serious and you get someone on the phone you have the parts to get started helping people. Some places we have been have been an hour to the small town and EMS could be even further away.

To give you an idea she used a site like this one:
https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/me...l-medical-kit/
to research it and build the kit.

Perhaps she did this because I accidentally cut the ends of two fingers off once or sliced the length of my finger open with a razor knife, not once but twice...

Hope this helps someone.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #11

1st investment should be in training, not gear... more knowledge you have, the less stuff you need. An adequate first aid kit is good, but one needs the knowledge on how to use it.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
Perhaps she did this because I accidentally cut the ends of two fingers off once or sliced the length of my finger open with a razor knife, not once but twice...

Hope this helps someone.

That is why my DW doesn't allow me to have sharp objects in my possession.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #13

My wife was an ER nurse for a long time. She assembled 2 "kits" 1 in the truck, 1 in the RV, that will take care of all but the worst injuries. You can buy just about anything needed from sterile suture kits, eye-wash kits, to military grade wound care packages. Just depends on your level of education in medicine. And yes, my wife has put a stitch in me when steri-strips wouldn't work.....
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

My ex was stealing the dr's she worked for blind so I have a huge pile of medical stuff. Stuff to do stitches and all sorts of numbing meds. Even some that were inject-able. I'm not kidding. I tossed those out. I'll never give anyone or myself a shot of something I'm not even sure what it is. Actually I'll never do a shot of anything. But I did keep some very nice bandaging and first aid supplies.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote