Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flo Jet RV waste pump

FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Item - Camping World

Has anyone used this pump?

Pro's & Con's please.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have one. The reason was so when we arrived home we could use a garden hose to pump the holding tanks into the sewer system via the vent pipe. It works great for that. It sends it 50+ feet to the vent no problem. There is a flat head screwdriver slot under a rubber cap on the end in case you have to really give it some elbow grease if it becomes stuck. You are suppose to plug it into a 12V outlet (what we used to call cigarette lighter) but I found it could blow any size auto fuse so I plug it directly into one of those jump start packs. It will shut down before it overheats.

If we are parked at a site with a sewer connection or are stopping at a dump station I don't bother to connect it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Hi Ron,

I had that pump on my boat and it worked great. As mentioned it will work best if you run a deciated hot wire to the location. FYI, If you are comfortable with ebay there is a guy that sells them for less. I was looking into them and from what I recall he beat everyone by 70-100 bucks.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Ron,

Bought one just recently, best thing since sliced bread. My pump is mounted on a 90 elbow that I leave hooked up, and I've wired it to a permanent 12V by the generator. Things I've learned- solder the connection to the switch, makes it heat up less. Use the largest diameter garden hose you can get, which makes the speed of the dump much faster, as well as less power used to pump. You can leave your grey water hose hooked up and it will gravity drain if applicable. Hook up your grey water flush line (another garden hose) before you start everything, makes cleaning the hose much nicer. Now, for the fun news. I bought one since my nearest campground hookup was 150 feet away. Yep, it pumped it nicely, black or grey, all the way. The flush line you will need when it's time to roll up the hose, but it can be a short line from your city water line (if you have a backflow protector!!) I've pumped out into sewer lines, cleanouts, and places I couldn't have possibly reached without it. The complaint I hear is that it's slower than the 3", but it hasn't been for me, because my cleanup is minimal, my flush time is fast, and I don't end up with oookie stuff on my hands anymore.... (yes, that's the official term. Oookie.) You just roll up your hose, link the two ends together, and no smell either. There's my two cents worth from a new owner....

Jerry
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And don't let it run dry!
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks All

I'm convinced and especially since Flying J started charging to dump. I only need it for dumping when I get home from a weekend camping trip that has no dump facalities.

Amazon has them for $209.00 free shipping

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #7

This guy says that the system 'stinks' literally he replaced his with some new super tough hose,

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

We have always had the big stinky slinky, don't see why you would want to compliate things this much, but if people like them I guess that is all that matters.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
This guy says that the system 'stinks' literally he replaced his with some new super tough hose,

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

We have always had the big stinky slinky, don't see why you would want to compliate things this much, but if people like them I guess that is all that matters.
We use both. I use the 3" hose (good one) when at RV parks or at a dump site. My pumper is used at our winter site where I have to pump to an outlet 100 ft away.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I figured I would be using mine this week... Normally I use the 3" hose. but the park I"m in now has had limited parking for me this summer (my fault really.. I need to replace my laptop till I do I need to park close to the park's only Wi-Fi Router or you won't bet reading this) Well, for most of the summer that meant the one site that's in range that has no sewer hookup (It is there, just broken and buried, They will work on it post-season)

Using the flo-jet macerator I pumped over to the next site, worked great.
Have also used it in places where some idiot stuck the sewer inlet like a foot off the ground (Above my outlet) making the 3" host useless.

I do like using it.. But the 3" is faster plus my wife understands that one.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are also great for spraying that noisy dog! Just kidding!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #11

Sounds like there are situations where this type of pump is necessary.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
They are also great for spraying that noisy dog! Just kidding!
Can work wonders for irritating neighbors too. So I've been told.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #13

Have owned and still using a macerator pump since 1977 (same one). Over the years have found numerous ocassions to use it. Carry 150 foot of 3/4 inch garden house. For home pump offs I just stick the hose into the Washing machine drain (in the garage) and pump tanks. One of the best RV items ever spent money on
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #14

No personal experience have only read about issues that make sense when you think about them:
The drain rate is very very slow compared to the larger hose gravity method, which in my mind does lend credibility to the thought that the pump is not as clean an evacuation as gravity, being slower would have to allow more poo to remain in the tank.

A few owners have mentioned that the method of by 'passing' the gray water past the pump really does not drain it as fast as a shower can put the water in, if at all. More than one owner has cited an unpleasant experience while taking a shower.

Shaft seal leaks would seem to be an everpresent concern, and during cold weather sending warm/hot water through the pump would have to cause condensation in the motor with the expected problems-AND of course you do have to alter your winterizing to include the pump chamber if you live in cold climates.

And having a permanently mounted pump, unprotected, would -seem- to present another host of issues

Again, I have never owned one of these systems and I have mentioned that there does seem to be situations where the pump would be not only handy but necessary-but I am tending to say I would avoid these instances, go to the dump station, and get a faster/cleaner dump and have 'cleaner' tanks: PLUS that $200 dollars or so would buy at least one normal vacations beer !!