Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2005, 02:35 AM   #1

Anyone have experience with either of these GPS systems? Have Delorme but find it cumbersome to have the PC near the driver. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2005, 02:35 AM   #2

Anyone have experience with either of these GPS systems? Have Delorme but find it cumbersome to have the PC near the driver. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #3

I have used the 2610 for over two years and love it. There are some major differences between the 2610, 2620 and the c330. The c330 does not compare with the 26xx but does offer the 3D view if that is important. The difference between the 2610 and 2620 is that the 2620 has an interanl hard drive and comes fully loaded with maps and points of interest. Currently with the 2620 you must peform all of your trip planning using the GPS unit. While the 2610 comes with with a replaceable Compact Flash card. You can easily upgrade this to a 2GB CF and load all of the maps and points of interest with the supplied MapSource software and have pretty much the same unit as 2620. The MapSource software can also be used on a computer to plan trips and transfer your plans to the 2610. As I understand the c330 it comes fully loaded with the maps and points of interst but planning trips must be done by one point of interest at a time.

My preference is the 2610 due to it being more flexible and can be basically made into a 2620 by adding a 2GB CF card and loading maps and POIs one time at less cost than the 2620. In addition the 2610 comes with the Maps and POI data CDs and MapSource software while the 2620 does not.

Hope this helps.
mibearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 AM   #4

We have the 2620 we use it a lot and in general I'm happy with the product. It's nice not to have to load any maps. We even used it on a trip to Mazatlan, Mexico. There were no details maps and none promised but the basic roads were there to our surprise.

Our only disapointment is the map updates. Ours is about 2 years old now and occasionally there is a road that has been changed so it will start telling you that you are off route when you aren't. We could get the updates but think the $150 price tag is just a little steep. For now we'll live without the updates as it's just not that important.
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:36 AM   #5

Try taking a look at this website:
http://www.pdastreets.com
(can never remember if there is an "s" on the end).
Go to forums...Palm...Garmin
Although a lot of the posters are problems encountered (if you don't have a problem, you usually don't go searching for answers!).
paddlers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:55 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We use the Garmin 2620 in the truck when towing our RV and have never had a problem with it. I like the 2620 as well (if not better) than the Alpine-supplied OEM navigation system in my Acura 3.2TL-S, and that's saying a lot. The mapping software on the 2620 is much more detailed than the Alpine/Acura once we get out of major metro areas.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #7

Getting ready to purchase a Garmin product. Looking at the newest model 2720. A little higher priced than the 2620 and the 2610. Has anyone used the 2720 yet. Would be interested in your comments about it. Also is an outside antenna needed in a RV? I have a Adventurer 35U. I would get the GPS for my laptop but it's hard to see in bright lights. They are alot cheaper but would like to also use it in the car.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick N.:
Also is an outside antenna needed in a RV? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a Garmin 2620 in my MH with no external antenna. Depends on the mass above the location of the GPS unit, I suspect, which varies by type of MH.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
We used our 2620 extensively on our recently completed trip around the country. It worked great. (We call her "Rosie") I have a full size van and noticed that the unit couldn't sit at the edge of the dashboard or the van roof would block the signal. I never needed an external antenna but it is something you may want to consider, especially if someone wants to take it off the dash and work it from their laps, etc.

Enjoy.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Dick N.

Our last MH was a 35U and the StreetPilot 2610 performed beautifully on the dash with no external antenna. I don't think you will have any trouble at all. Lost satellite once in a while, but never for too long.
As far as the 2620, it WOULD be nice to have ALL the maps installed ALL the time, so I'm looking for a 2 gig card for my 2610. I found out the updates are critical (got on a road that was dead ended when the new road was built a year ago....had to unhook the toad in the pouring rain to turn around...sigh) but like the man said, they are pricey.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Garmin has recently cut the upgrade price for the V7 maps to $75, which I think is a reasonable price. You can order direct from the Garmin web site.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Gary,
Thanks for the update on the map upgrade pricing. That's a lot better price than before. I WILL upgrade now.
Thanks again
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #13

I got a Garmin 2620 for Christmas. I've used PDA's for GPS navigation for the past 5 years and I decided I wanted a dedicated GPS navigation device. One feature of the 2620 I like is it names the street name rather than saying turn left or right in 500 yards. My wife and I laughed when we went off the GPS route because the voice sounded just a little disgusted at our failure to follow its directions. I've tried it in the motorhome and it works just fine sitting on the dash.

I like the unit and I'm happy with it.

On my PDA GPS software package the US map is split into 5 sections so plans must be made up to a map section border and then other plans must be made once I crossed into the another map section. This makes trip planning more difficult but I seldom crossed into other map sections so it wasn't too much problem. Also as memory chips grew in size I was able to download all map sections needed for a trip.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I recently sold my Garmin Street Pilot III and replaced it with a 2620.. I was able to get a 2620 for the same price (after discounts) as a 2610 plus a 2 GB data card. After futzing around loading maps in my SP III (even though it had a 128 MB data card), having everything loaded at once was a #1 priority for me. With the 2610/2620, it is much easier to create a route on the unit than it was with a SP III, so doing routes there on the 2620 rather than on a PC seems acceptable. I haven't taken any journeys wit the 2620 yet, though, so will have to report again in a few months, when I have more experience under my belt.

With regard to the C330, I think the 2620 is a hands down winner technically, but there is a price difference to consider too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote