RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Garmin RV 780 Route Issue

Have been setting up my routes using BaseCamp and have found one stop that no matter how I program, there is no direct method of getting to the location. I am trying to reach the Walmart in Winchester, VA (2350 S Pleasant Valley Rd, Winchester, VA 22601) from route 81 south. Our prior stop would be the Flying J in Carlisle, PA. It takes us one exit too far and then back tracks through some neighborhoods even though there is a direct route. I have tried shaping points, etc. but have not been able to fix the route. I have also looked for low bridges or other avoidance's and none are found. The return to route 81 is by another route that the route into Walmart.

I uploaded the route to the Garmin 780 figuring it might be BaseCamp that is the issue and the GArmine 780 follows the same convoluted route to Walmart from the highway. I have attempted to use the shaping tool in the Garmin with the same bad results.

The image below shows the Garmin route in purple whereas the most direct route that I have used in the past is shown in red. I have tried adding multiple way points to get the route to go the way I want, but it doesn't work.

Wondering if anyone can try this on their Garmin 770 or 780 to see if you get the same poor route. I must have some avoidance turned on that I am not aware of but can't figure it out. If it's a glitch, at least I am aware and will drive that section without the Garmin. If someone else gets a better route, then I have something set that I am not aware of at this time.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

I have the dezl 770. I get different routes depending on my vehicle setting. My options are: Straight Truck, Tractor (as in 18wheeler), Car. Often the car is a shorter route than a Truck. There may be a weight limit on a road your longer route is avoiding.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Just tried your route on my 780 and it took me directly to the Walmart using the route you outlined in red.

There was a recent software update and map update for this unit. I'm currently running Ver 7.70 software with the 2020.20 maps.

Mine is currently set for car mode. Didn't try in under MH setting but my coach settings are probably not going to make a difference due to the smaller size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	257095  
Attached Images

TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

I did update to the latest software, wonder if there is a weight limit on those roads, although you would think the Walmart truck takes the most direct route. Maybe I will try lowering my weight and see if it changes.

Thanks for the responses and help.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #5

Tried changing to a car and the route went in on my red line. Tried a truck, and while more direct than the RV it wasn't direct like the car. Lowered RV weight and width, nothing changed. Not sure what is going on.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Typical Garmin experience for me. I just ordered the 785 RV hoping to stop all that on my older Garmin.

It routinely makes me leave the interstate & run thru a town only to get back to the interstate on the other side of town. Wife uses Google maps to keep us from following Garmins errors. On a recent trip I imputed a location that was 14 miles away, on arrival, according to Garmin I made a turn into a small neighborhood with very narrow streets. Then it tells me to retrace my steps 14 miles. The new route was correct.

I've talked to Garmin, changed settings at their direction, doesn't make any difference. I'm feeling uneasy about the 785.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Typical Garmin experience for me. I just ordered the 785 RV hoping to stop all that on my older Garmin.

It routinely makes me leave the interstate & run thru a town only to get back to the interstate on the other side of town. Wife uses Google maps to keep us from following Garmins errors. On a recent trip I imputed a location that was 14 miles away, on arrival, according to Garmin I made a turn into a small neighborhood with very narrow streets. Then it tells me to retrace my steps 14 miles. The new route was correct.

I've talked to Garmin, changed settings at their direction, doesn't make any difference. I'm feeling uneasy about the 785.
I've had my Garmin do that when I had it set to "shortest" route.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the following currently installed in my planning computer:

BaseCamp 4.6.2
City Navigator North America NT 2019.3

As set (RV, faster time), it routes me the same as the "inner" purple line in post #1.

No help, I know, but thought you'd want to know it happens with other hardware and software versions.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a weight issue to me. Had a similar issue getting to Broken Arrow campground in South Dakota. If the road has a weight limitation, Garmin will route your RV around it.
Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

Well, I figured out a work around without changing my parameters. I found a nearby Camping World and the Garmin takes me directly there and back to the highway. Bigger parking lot and I called them this morning and they told me no problem over nighting.

Score!

Never figured out what is up with the route to Walmart, hoping I can send it to Garmin and find out.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #11

I've seen similar weirdness, but not often. One is US-1 in Cheraw, Sc. and the other is on US-90 east of Marianna in north Florida. Basecamp sends me off in odd directions although there are no obstructions or weight limits but car mode works fine. I know for a fact those routes are ok.

I think the routing uses proximity alerts so the actual obstruction could be a ways away from the highway. It would be helpful if Basecamp could tell us what the obstruction is.

Also, on a divided US highway that has crossings for turns into businesses etc Basecamp sometimes doesn't recognize them as something to turn onto, resulting in a route way past the crossover.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

I am thankful for BaseCamp because the larger monitor I am using helps me look over the route and look for extra lines where I wouldn't expect them so that I can zoom in and find out what is going on. Sometimes its just the number of cloverleaves to get off and onto different roads, sometimes its a goofy route like that above. I also found that it identified the wrong location for Graceland RV Park. I'm glad I looked before we ended up in someones front yard. That one might have been operator error
Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post

Rec'd the 785 RV today, very impressed with it, they certainly charge enuf for it.

Have it set up, but can't get it to mount with suction cup, where the dash cam can see thru the windshield. Only smooth surface is the trim on the dash, which I like since it's right in front of me.

Ordered a boom type mount from Amazon for $10. We'll see how it does & if it will handle the trip to Sarasota, Louisiana roads yechhhh!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
If that doesnít work, try Ram Mounts. Heavy duty for the heavy 785 unit. Thatís what I had to do. - Ron

RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route