Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have done some simple testing with my GPS and the only thing, so far, I would give it a positive-positive on would be it is big. I was disappointed that I paid a just under $300.00 for this GPS and had to download, myself, the User Manual. I bought this so I could be assured when the unexpected happens. Example, last year we sat in a 5-hour back-up on the Interstate in Kentucky. When the traffic finally started to move and get off the exit, the police turned trucks and tractor trailers right and cars and me in my RV left. I was now on back-country two-lane roads and in a panic. It's the "what if". Although I have not put this in the RV (winter) I hope that setting up the unit as I have will not add the panic and confusion to my trip if I selected Highway Systems (only) and it try's to divert me back to highways and not allow a detour on the back roads.

Since I have a non-portable GPS in my car (one of the features), a Garmin and a Tom Tom with free updates and traffic alerts, all have different menus and setups, different methods to access the onscreen features and destination-selections. The problem I have is it will take some time to get familiar with this by trial and I hope never error. But I didn't buy it for the 7 inch screen. I bought it so that I was comfortably assured that it would not lead me down the path of destruction with my RV. And that is something I hope the updates correct and give that level of comfortable assuredness.
So I guess it is message boards such as this that others help by sharing their setup suggestions and other areas one should be informed about. I truly hope I can say this GPS out performs it's price. Time will tell. But since I don't have my IPhones tethered, we still will be using our cellphones to access the features that were not included in this GPS. Something I really think Good Sam should have had some influence on, such as Bluetooth connectivity. PILOT Flying J fuel pricing and RV lanes would have been a nice accent to this GPS because I appreciate the extra business connection features. Problem is I have them as aps on the phones and not on the GPS. I appreciate the answer to my question above from BobGed. His answer was correct and if it was in the mega download user manual I had to print at my cost...(sigh) I didn't see it and must of missed it. Maybe I need to go back to school and learn reading AND comprehension. Long reply but so far my like to this unit is "it's big!"
gdetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twohep View Post
I used my 7725LM for 2 months (July & August) this summer and it worked flawlessly. Takes a little while to program as it has a lot of options. The feature I like best is that it can be set to RV or CAR mode
i just read your post on the rm7725 gps. i just bought one and am having a hard time with it. I used to use a tom tom before and loved it. my problem is i would like to sometimes have an alternate route to go on instead of the one it picks for me. i downloaded the manual and cant find a way to change route. you seem to be having good luck with yours and i could use some help thanks
thomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading the reviews of the RM and Garmin I decided on the TomTom VIA 1605M RV 634 GPS . I haven't used it yet, but when I was programing the Rv specs it wouldn't allow me enter more then 8 ft width .
caplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caplad View Post
After reading the reviews of the RM and Garmin I decided on the TomTom VIA 1605M RV 634 GPS . I haven't used it yet, but when I was programing the Rv specs it wouldn't allow me enter more then 8 ft width .
I used it for a trip to Savannah GA last week . It worked well except it did not detour around the Fort McHenry tunnel in Baltimore . I will have to check the setting's
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #47

Another quality product bites the sust

Well, after 2 1/2 years of fighting with RM and the device this fine piece of Chinese made electronics bits the dusts.

Driving down, the road, sitting on the dash and "puff" away goes the display.

Apparently too much sunshine on the black case. We'll never know. RM's dock software doesn't even recognize the device is plugged in.

Lesson learned. Never again Rand McNally. Looking at Tom-Tom and Garmin. Garmin I know.

Charlie
cburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will continue adding to this after several times I used it. I do not recommend this problematic unit. The 12 volt plug is spring loaded and it constantly works loose relying then on the battery charge that only lasts 1/2 hour most!!! You then must redo the information you programmed into it after the near to a minute calculating route. Of the. 4 GPS units I have/had this is the worst and make sure you do a double check. I did last weekend and it was taking me west on the Pa turnpike when all I needed to do was stay on Route 15 north. When I needed the instant direction it had unplugged was black because it had been running on the battery and I had no confirming directions .. For which I purchased it for in the first place.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
GPS

I will continue adding to this after several times I used it. I do not recommend this problematic unit. The 12 volt plug is spring loaded and it constantly works loose relying then on the battery charge that only lasts 1/2 hour most!!! You then must redo the information you programmed into it after the near to a minute calculating route. Of the. 4 GPS units I have/had this is the worst and make sure you do a double check. I did last weekend and it was taking me west on the Pa turnpike when all I needed to do was stay on Route 15 north. When I needed the instant direction it had unplugged was black because it had been running on the battery and I had no confirming directions .. For which I purchased it for in the first place.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a question . Does any of the GPS re-route you around the fort McHenry tunnel in Baltimore because of the propane restriction? I bought the Tom - Tom rv unit and it didn't re-route me . I contacted Tom-Tom about it and haven't heard of a fix .
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have a question . Does any of the GPS re-route you around the fort McHenry tunnel in Baltimore because of the propane restriction? I bought the Tom - Tom rv unit and it didn't re-route me . I contacted Tom-Tom about it and haven't heard of a fix .
Most of the GPS's out there do not have propane restrictions in their data programs. I think, and don't quote me since I have not had a chance yet to make sure, that the only one that MIGHT would be the Garmin 760DEZL which is mostly used by truckers. I know some have been asking Garmin to add the propane restrictions into the 760RV but I don't know if they've done it yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Tip:
when you see 18-wheelers switch to the left lane without an apparent reason, follow them if possible. There may be a curved underpass that is lower in the right lane.
vrugt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
The 7725LM has been upgraded to a 7735LM...just ordered one at camping world on-line store.

More features (not sure exactly), better display, the tech at RandMcnally said there were a bunch of updates made in the 7735LM

ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
There is a setting that allows you to prohibit tunnels from the menu. I am not sure if it will route you around because of the propane.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just received the 7735 (ordered via camping world on-line) - its the next generation of the 7725

Better screen, faster processor...does just about everything else the same.

No - it does not have Voice Command - ie. you can't talk to it, well you can but it doesn't seem to care...

I like it, especially the speed warnings

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
My most recent issue with this GPS is the unit's setting for a KOA address didn't allow my to enter it or more specific as the "street" eliminates letters this KOA's street address did not allow input. But they had GPS readings and so I entered those KOA site-specific GPS readings. I did a save and changed the name to KOA. The next morning I turned it on in my travels, went to "Address" and it wasn't there. Checked in most recent and it wasn't there either. Luckily I knew where this KOA was and was just testing the quality of this GPS. It failed. This unit also defaults back to the smallest scale roadway picture. Press the + button it increases the picture until the next announcement where and when it defaults back to a small picture. It may make a good block to help level the RV by using it under the tire. Not sure haven't tested it yet. (sigh)

Tags
gps