Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #29

If you are struggling with Base Camp and want to use it, try going to POI Factory website and search for tutorials on Base Camp. There is a 13 part tutorial that will get you up and running.

I use Base Camp exclusively for planning my trips and all my stops. But, I use Google Maps to look at fuel stops to make sure I know they are accessible for my rig and to look at entry points.

I use POI Factory for extra POI's that I load into Base Camp or into my Dezl 760.

I will add I haven't used RVTW so I can't compare my experience with some who have posted.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Still Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Check out this website, go to"Transferring your GPX route directly to your Unit from Your Computer (without BaseCamp)" about 1/2 way down the page. See if this works.

https://www.roadrunner.travel/2018/0...your-gps-unit/
NO, this does NOT work...the GPX file is transferred but in the GPS file manager when clicking on the file it says "unable to open".

After using Base Camp for several hours and going back to RVTW to read their instructions again I really wish the powers at RVTW would UPDATE the instructions...why? They say Garmin will accept a .csv file and you should click on download gpx to get it??? Then the instructions go on using an out of date version of Base Camp...it says go to transfers (and shows screen shot) and this option does not show on my version of Base Camp...you have to click on Device and the select download "selection" which is all of the routes created from the tracks. Man...this is 18th century if I ever saw it.

The BC process of converting tracks to routes is confusing and time confusing.

I don't know what I am going to do...I like the suggestion of just saving destination addresses from RVTW and then using the RV 785 to get there using saved address...I leave next Thursday on 5300 mile trip (per RVTW) and about a month.
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
When BaseCamp first came out I fought with it off and on for over a year but I really didn't try very hard because Mapsource was still working for me. When the time came where Mapsource wouldn't work with my latest Garmin unit I tried harder and finally had the "ah-ha" moment and BaseCame quickly became my only mapping program. Now I can do just about anything I want with Routes and Tracks. I have over 15000 objects in My Collection. Stick with v4.6.2 as v4.7.0 had issues.

What do you think is not "intuitive" about BaseCamp?
Dennis, I guess I haven't had the "ah ha" moment yet, but I'm glad it works for you.

I can't rely on Base Camp alone because it doesn't have RV hazard avoidance and my Garmin 61 doesn't either. That means I need to plan in RVTW and do two transfers of data: 1. PC to Base Camp and 2. Base Camp to Garmin. That is the part I'm having trouble with.

Vettenuts had a link that shows how to go direct from RVTW to Garmin with a GPX file, but I couldn't get that to work. The Garmin is supposed to show up on desktop, but it didn't. I found Garmin using device manager, but couldn't transfer the file. If I use Base Camp it puts several routes in different order than they occur and I have to sequence them manually before going to Garmin. I think this double data transfer is too complicated and takes too much time. I'm going to let Garmin plan the route and use turn by turn print out from RVTW to customize route in Garmin using the route shaping feature. I think this procedure takes less time and usually requires one or two route shaping waypoints to duplicate the RVTW route. I hope RVLife app for Android is released soon and maybe that will allow me to directly import routes from RVTW. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #32

RV Trip Wizard is NOT a good replacement for BaseCamp

[This post will veer off-track a bit, since it deals with BC and TripWizard. But, it does have a bit of relevance in regards to getting routes into the new 785. So, if you're looking for info about the USE of the 785, skip this post.]

Gosh, there are too many folks I want to respond to, so I just hope ya'll will read my reply and if it helps you, good.

BACKGROUND, MINE...
First, I've used every Garmin type there is. I've used BC since day 1. I'm not afraid of technology and, in fact, am a very advanced user. I've also used the, now discontinued, MONTERRA which was a Garmin running on an Android backbone. Yuck.

BASECAMP, TRIP PLANNING...
Most users of BC will describe it as a Love-Hate relationship. There are other VERY useful threads about "how to" with BC.

Using the Trip Planner in BC is super clunky. Upon me going back and forth with another power-user, I have to agree that the BEST method of making a trip in BC, is to just plan each leg SEPARATELY with the standard Route Planner.

Trying to force yourself to use the Trip Planner in BC will cause all your gray hair to fall out...especially when you want to make changes.

BASECAMP, RV "HAZARDS"...
To the person who says BC doesn't plan for that, you're wrong. When you set up your parameters in the "Routing Preferences", you're given all the Specs that an RV-specific GPS gives you INCLUDING SPEED modification! And as you make your Route, you select the RV Driving model rather than a Car, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.

RV TRIP WIZARD, not so much...
Yeah, I bit. I got suckered into paying for a year subscription and wish they had a MBG...I'd take it. Reason being, it's not giving me much more than the Good Sam planner, BaseCamp, RVLife and a number of other apps will provide. Now, before you jump on me and say "BUT I DON'T WANT TO USE ALL THE OTHER CRAP; I WANT A ONE-STOP SHOP!", let me say this...

RV TRIP WIZARD, "Send to GPS"...NOT!...
The reason I REALLY wanted to use RVTW was to be able to port my routes into my GPS. AND IT CAN'T DO THAT!! NO, IT CAN'T...and don't explain to me how to do it, I know...and I tried every which method, and they're all crap!
You have to EXPORT a file, .gpx or CSV (what the???). That's HARDLY a "Send to GPS" function...entirely misleading, in fact.
I can handle a ton of tech-anything-steps-workaround, so long as it provides me with good results. But, in the case of RVTW, the GPX file is exports, must be IMPORTED into BC, which brings it in as a multi-point TRACK!!! AND...AND...THEN it must be converted to a ROUTE!! Why does this STINK? Because, you've now got a multi-point route with nothing but a bizzilion WAYPOINTS, rather than intelligently plotted POIs, Locations/Addresses, etc. etc.

POI, gone BYE-BYE...
Yeah, terrific. So you spend hours planning out your trip in RVTW, only to export the trip to a GPX file, import it into BC as a Track..like a hike, then CONVERT it to a Route, only to have all of those "hazards", "POIs", Gas Stations or what-else...GONE!! So what's the POINT? As another gent said, he uses RVTW to "look" at his trip, but still plans it out in the GPS. You're better off doing it in BC, because of the other features I mentioned, PLUS I can surely run a Mac a ton faster than the Garmin, let alone manipulate a route, see the map in different scales, details, etc.

I did several Trips in RVTW and was grossly disappointed. So, I now use RVTW as a "hmm, let's see what I can find along that route" tool. I still have to look up info using other sources.

DRIVE TIME/DISTANCE...if you're a Crow...
OH, and another thing about RVTW's "Radius" and "Drive-Time" circles...CRAP. It's as a crow-flies!! Useless. BC, on the other hand, will actually calculate drive time INCLUDING YOUR SPEED OFFSET! And, you can input the TIME OF DAY you want to leave, and your route will show you the TIME OF ARRIVAL and EVEN include any TIME ZONE changes!! RVTW does NONE OF THAT.

So, as much as BC is a PITA, RVTW is NOT a viable replacement...IMHO. How's THAT for a sentence with a lot of abbreviations! LOL

Not meant to be condescending or insulting to anyone who is emotional about what they have gotten used to using. I just wanted to bring up some technical shortcomings that have been mentioned, and/or correct misinformation.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
CaptainGizmo,
Let's start with...You are awesome!!!
Yup, I've used Base Camp for a number of years and was so severely frustrated with it, I tried many other route planning sources. Back in the day, I could MS Streets and Trips and be happy. Then for motorcycle road trips and local trips, I used MyRoutes, a terrific planner, but specifically for motorcycles.
Just bought our Class A and wanted to find a route planner that would plan using motorhome specs and provide all the magical POIs that we seek. Yep, Trip Wizard. And, yep, I too was lured in by those claims that it would export .gpx, which the Garmin 780 will import.
But I, like you, learned that those exports, and, in fact, the Garmin 780 do not play well with a Mac computer. Went through lots of frustration trying to get that to work and finally called Garmin. Guess what!!! Garmin 780 operating system is Android based! Gee, Android and Apple do NOT play well together. And that support person at Garmin? Well, he explained to me how to download the Android file transfer app, send the .gpx from TW to the Mac, combine the tracks into a route and then transfer the resulting file to the 780. Hope...didn't work. Garmin flipped me the bird.
So, I wasted that 1 year subscription cost for TW, but won't do that again.
Hate base camp, but will probably use it. OR...just do individual legs directly on the 780. Has worked pretty well on a couple I tried this past week.
Garmin, Garmin 780, Trip Wizard--Not Fun!!!
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
But I, like you, learned that those exports, and, in fact, the Garmin 780 do not play well with a Mac computer. Went through lots of frustration trying to get that to work and finally called Garmin. Guess what!!! Garmin 780 operating system is Android based! Gee, Android and Apple do NOT play well together. And that support person at Garmin? Well, he explained to me how to download the Android file transfer app, send the .gpx from TW to the Mac, combine the tracks into a route and then transfer the resulting file to the 780. Hope...didn't work.

Harv n Lois,

Thank you for the compliment.

Please understand that Garmin Tech Support is an oxymoron. Plus, they have NO CLUE or desire to support BaseCamp!

Fear not, the troubles have NOTHING to do with the Mac! And, to be honest and fair, they really don’t have anything to do with Android either.

The problem is the way RVTW exports the info to a GPX file which LOSES all critical data points. So, when it’s imported into the Garmin...whether through BC or whatever means...you end up with TRACKS!! This is NOT helpful at all. Unless, of course, you were hiking through the woods.

I’ve created hundreds of routes with all sorts of programs, websites, Google Earth, and various tools. I’ve retained all data points without issues using Macs, iPhones, Androids, PCs, etc etc etc. Ya know why? I used KML or KMZ file formats NOT GPX!!!!!!

So, in summary...

RVTW absolutely sucks with regards to creating a route that is able to be “Sent to a GPS” without hassle and loss of data.

It has nothing to do with your platform, it has to do with the terrible coding of RVTW and the fact you have to export as a GPX file.

HTH
Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #35
NXR

Looking at this link Export to GPS I see a process to convert tracks to routes:

It kind of reads like you convert all tracks to routes and end up with one .gpx file. Would that help create a cleaner import?

Ray
Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Looking at this link Export to GPS I see a process to convert tracks to routes:

It kind of reads like you convert all tracks to routes and end up with one .gpx file. Would that help create a cleaner import?

Ray

Absolutely NOT! There’s only ONE method currently, using RVTW:

Export to a GPX (or CSV) file.

At that point, all is lost. Until they change to a KMZ or KML format, all the other info is lost.

The reason you must “convert” the track to a Route, is simply because the GARMIN auto models don’t read/use Tracks.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #37

Garmin RV 785 Lane Departure Warning

I got my Garmin RV 785 yesterday and have started playing around with it. It will take a few repetitions to remember what options are where, but I am pleased so far. One concern I have is with the Lane Departure Warning not going off when it should, even when we TRY to make it set off the alarm. I have tried repositioning the camera left, center and right, as well as facing forward. I have had it sitting on the bean bag dash holder instead of the window suction mount. I will switch to try that tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions? How much of the truck hood can be seen in the camera for this to work?
PaulnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #38
NXR

Don't put too much effort into LDW. Mine has gone off precisely once so far and I'm not sure why because, like you, it has not gone off when trying to make it go off.

I expect a firmware update may be required to fix it. My camera sees none of the dash itself so that's not it.

Ray
Old 08-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
[This post will veer off-track a bit, since it deals with BC and TripWizard. But, it does have a bit of relevance in regards to getting routes into the new 785. So, if you're looking for info about the USE of the 785, skip this post.]

Gosh, there are too many folks I want to respond to, so I just hope ya'll will read my reply and if it helps you, good.

BACKGROUND, MINE...
First, I've used every Garmin type there is. I've used BC since day 1. I'm not afraid of technology and, in fact, am a very advanced user. I've also used the, now discontinued, MONTERRA which was a Garmin running on an Android backbone. Yuck.

BASECAMP, TRIP PLANNING...
Most users of BC will describe it as a Love-Hate relationship. There are other VERY useful threads about "how to" with BC.

Using the Trip Planner in BC is super clunky. Upon me going back and forth with another power-user, I have to agree that the BEST method of making a trip in BC, is to just plan each leg SEPARATELY with the standard Route Planner.

Trying to force yourself to use the Trip Planner in BC will cause all your gray hair to fall out...especially when you want to make changes.

BASECAMP, RV "HAZARDS"...
To the person who says BC doesn't plan for that, you're wrong. When you set up your parameters in the "Routing Preferences", you're given all the Specs that an RV-specific GPS gives you INCLUDING SPEED modification! And as you make your Route, you select the RV Driving model rather than a Car, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.

RV TRIP WIZARD, not so much...
Yeah, I bit. I got suckered into paying for a year subscription and wish they had a MBG...I'd take it. Reason being, it's not giving me much more than the Good Sam planner, BaseCamp, RVLife and a number of other apps will provide. Now, before you jump on me and say "BUT I DON'T WANT TO USE ALL THE OTHER CRAP; I WANT A ONE-STOP SHOP!", let me say this...

RV TRIP WIZARD, "Send to GPS"...NOT!...
The reason I REALLY wanted to use RVTW was to be able to port my routes into my GPS. AND IT CAN'T DO THAT!! NO, IT CAN'T...and don't explain to me how to do it, I know...and I tried every which method, and they're all crap!
You have to EXPORT a file, .gpx or CSV (what the???). That's HARDLY a "Send to GPS" function...entirely misleading, in fact.
I can handle a ton of tech-anything-steps-workaround, so long as it provides me with good results. But, in the case of RVTW, the GPX file is exports, must be IMPORTED into BC, which brings it in as a multi-point TRACK!!! AND...AND...THEN it must be converted to a ROUTE!! Why does this STINK? Because, you've now got a multi-point route with nothing but a bizzilion WAYPOINTS, rather than intelligently plotted POIs, Locations/Addresses, etc. etc.

POI, gone BYE-BYE...
Yeah, terrific. So you spend hours planning out your trip in RVTW, only to export the trip to a GPX file, import it into BC as a Track..like a hike, then CONVERT it to a Route, only to have all of those "hazards", "POIs", Gas Stations or what-else...GONE!! So what's the POINT? As another gent said, he uses RVTW to "look" at his trip, but still plans it out in the GPS. You're better off doing it in BC, because of the other features I mentioned, PLUS I can surely run a Mac a ton faster than the Garmin, let alone manipulate a route, see the map in different scales, details, etc.

I did several Trips in RVTW and was grossly disappointed. So, I now use RVTW as a "hmm, let's see what I can find along that route" tool. I still have to look up info using other sources.

DRIVE TIME/DISTANCE...if you're a Crow...
OH, and another thing about RVTW's "Radius" and "Drive-Time" circles...CRAP. It's as a crow-flies!! Useless. BC, on the other hand, will actually calculate drive time INCLUDING YOUR SPEED OFFSET! And, you can input the TIME OF DAY you want to leave, and your route will show you the TIME OF ARRIVAL and EVEN include any TIME ZONE changes!! RVTW does NONE OF THAT.

So, as much as BC is a PITA, RVTW is NOT a viable replacement...IMHO. How's THAT for a sentence with a lot of abbreviations! LOL

Not meant to be condescending or insulting to anyone who is emotional about what they have gotten used to using. I just wanted to bring up some technical shortcomings that have been mentioned, and/or correct misinformation.
Thanks for the lesson on transferring routes from RVTW to Garmin GPS. I have spent many hours trying that and feeling pretty stupid that I couldn't get it to work. You have clearly identified why it doesn't work and now I can stop beating my head against the wall. I feel better now! Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #40

How is everyone's RV780 working? Mine is occasionally buggy, locking up and requiring a hard reset (simple power down, power up doesn't work). What really turned me off is when I missed my exit on I 10 (not paying attention). The GPS had quit working with no notice presumably a few miles back. It has done this a few times but the other features are so nice, I hate to send it back. I also get numerous disconnects from the smart phone, especially when coming back into a 4G area after being in a dead area. I will just not reconnect on its own. Anyone else having these problems?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
FYI, If you have specific questions on using BaseCamp you can try posting them here with a BaseCamp heading or try asking in the BaseCamp Forum https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/ in the approate PC or MAC area.

There are lots of knowledgeable BaseCamp users who can answer.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
How is everyone's RV780 working? Mine is occasionally buggy, locking up and requiring a hard reset (simple power down, power up doesn't work). What really turned me off is when I missed my exit on I 10 (not paying attention). The GPS had quit working with no notice presumably a few miles back. It has done this a few times but the other features are so nice, I hate to send it back. I also get numerous disconnects from the smart phone, especially when coming back into a 4G area after being in a dead area. I will just not reconnect on its own. Anyone else having these problems?

Not good news. And I fear it has ALL to do with it being Android based!

I’ll hang onto my 770 while I test the 785.