Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Halogen Puck Light Bulb Replacement

Right after we took ownership of our new to us 1997 Safari Serengeti I noted a problem that I considered as a fire saftey hazard. And that was the unsafe heat build up of those halogen bulbs in the puck style lights. Very hot and one even fell out and burned my wife. A bit of seaching on RV websites led me to a LED replacement sold by the Prudent RVer. The bulb model replacement for the 10 watt halogen is G4.RV2N-H @ $19.98 each. A little spendy however a halogen 10 watt bulb does cost around $8.00 each. So I considered that an additional $11 a unit replacement cost is a good bargin to solve what I consider to be a fire saftey harzard. I needed to replace 8 units (side pinned) and two center pinned for the halogen spots over the batch sink. I initially ordered and replaced only 4 units as a test.

Test results. Easy to do, but I would recommend that a paper towel be used to remove the halogen bulbs and place them in a baggie as possible spares. Do not touch a halogen bulb because the oil on your skin will compromised the bulb. The G4.RV2N-H LED simply plugs back into the same plug recepticle. I left the first replacement one on as I replaced the others plus messed around for another 30 minutes in the coach. I wanted to test for any heat build up with the G4.RV2N-H LED's. No Heat Build Up whatsoever, nice and cool.

Assessment -- A bit expensive per bulb but worth the cost due to saftey.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We have several fixtures in our coach that use the G4 style JC10w bulb. We normally pay apx $3-$4 for replacements. We don't burn many of those out, but we do go through a lot of the 1383 spot style reading lamps.

We recently replaced two of the 1383 bulbs with A1141 3w LED bulbs ...the first we have tried that passed the DW's usability test. She uses one for reading every day/night, and LEDs we had tried before just didn't cut the mustard. We also replaced a couple of JC10 G4 bulbs with G4-SMD 12V 1.2W Warm white LEDs. They are pretty decent, but not good enough for the DW to allow me to replace more than the two we use for night lights when we are out ...and I had to remove the reflectors in the fixtures in order for the flat disc bulbs to work right. I note that the G4.RV2N-H is rated at 120 lumens, and they have another that is rated at 200 lumens. IF they spread the light enough, that may satisfy the DW ...I may have to get a couple that I can sneak into the fixtures and see if she notices...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Might want to hold off for a little bit. A contact over at the Safari Website has found an alternative, but foreign source via eBay -- G4 24 SMD LED Warm White RV Camper Marine Light Bulb - eBay (item 260644786763 end time Oct-31-10 08:06:20 PDT) Looks interesting, a 24 LED array, however it is still rated at 90 Lumen. He is waiting for delivery and will be testing also. Additionally, someone at the Safari website felt that the price of LED's will be coming down this year. I will cross post any results.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting LED option John. Do you know yet if these will fit as replacements for the halogen bulbs in puck lights?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
if these will fit as replacements for the halogen bulbs in puck lights?
I'm not John, but they look identical at least in terms of size/shape to the ones I used. How well they work depends on the specific puck fixture. On mine I had to remove the pot-metal reflector from the fixtures in order for the "bulb" to lie flat and shine in the right direction as my reflectors were small and tight and pushed the "bulb" at an angle.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

Well it was reported over at the Safari Website that the eBay/Chinese version did not work out that well. Polarity problems and at 90 lumens, not bright at all. I am still very happy with what I got and installed from the PrudentRVer.com Especially the center pinned spots over the bathroom sink. Gotta keep my better half happy when she's puttin' on the WarPaint
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #7

I recently installed two G4 halogen replacement bulbs in my Country Coach. They are the G4-WHP15-DAC warm white LEDs at $16.95 each from Superbrightleds.

Like AFChap, I had to remove the pot metal reflectors but then had to bend the two pins in an "L" shape to install them in the fixtures. On my fixtures, the socket for the G4 bulb is held in place by the reflector. If I decide to keep them I'll probably use something to "glue" the socket to the fixture. So far I like them but I'll continue to use them for awhile before making final judgment.

I measured the current for the original halogen bulb at 0.85 amps and this LED at 0.18 amps so there is a significant savings in consumed power coupled with the reduced operating temperatures. After several hours of operation, the trim rings feel warm to the touch, not hot like the fixtures with the halogen bulbs.

If I decide I like them, I'll begin a replacement program. I began my search after seeing how much power the Halogens used. I've got 32 of these halogen fixtures so I don't think I'll be replacing all of them, just the ones that are turned on for extended times.

I've also got 16 G4 reading light fixtures with the bulbs inserted vertically rather than horizontally like the puck fixtures. These recessed fixtures swivel in one direction. If anyone finds LED's for these I would like to hear about it.

Here's the link to Superbrightleds.

G4-WHP15-DAC LED Lamp Specifications
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #8

LEDs are one answer. But if you want to stick with Halogens, go to eBay. I've been buying the bulbs there for about 50 cents each. They work the same and last as long as the ones I had been paying several dollars for at Camping World.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #9

Here is another source: welcome to jclampstand.com! . Scroll down past the flashlight stand_. These may just put me back into buying LED's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
I recently installed two G4 halogen replacement bulbs in my Country Coach. They are the G4-WHP15-DAC warm white LEDs at $16.95 each from Superbrightleds.

Like AFChap, I had to remove the pot metal reflectors but then had to bend the two pins in an "L" shape to install them in the fixtures. On my fixtures, the socket for the G4 bulb is held in place by the reflector. If I decide to keep them I'll probably use something to "glue" the socket to the fixture. So far I like them but I'll continue to use them for awhile before making final judgment.

I measured the current for the original halogen bulb at 0.85 amps and this LED at 0.18 amps so there is a significant savings in consumed power coupled with the reduced operating temperatures. After several hours of operation, the trim rings feel warm to the touch, not hot like the fixtures with the halogen bulbs.

If I decide I like them, I'll begin a replacement program. I began my search after seeing how much power the Halogens used. I've got 32 of these halogen fixtures so I don't think I'll be replacing all of them, just the ones that are turned on for extended times.

I've also got 16 G4 reading light fixtures with the bulbs inserted vertically rather than horizontally like the puck fixtures. These recessed fixtures swivel in one direction. If anyone finds LED's for these I would like to hear about it.

Here's the link to Superbrightleds.

G4-WHP15-DAC LED Lamp Specifications
There's a couple of vendors on eBay that can save you some money over Superbrightlets.

Dave
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
Right after we took ownership of our new to us 1997 Safari Serengeti I noted a problem that I considered as a fire saftey hazard. And that was the unsafe heat build up of those halogen bulbs in the puck style lights. Very hot and one even fell out and burned my wife. A bit of seaching on RV websites led me to a LED replacement sold by the Prudent RVer. The bulb model replacement for the 10 watt halogen is G4.RV2N-H @ $19.98 each. A little spendy however a halogen 10 watt bulb does cost around $8.00 each. So I considered that an additional $11 a unit replacement cost is a good bargin to solve what I consider to be a fire saftey harzard. I needed to replace 8 units (side pinned) and two center pinned for the halogen spots over the batch sink. I initially ordered and replaced only 4 units as a test.

Test results. Easy to do, but I would recommend that a paper towel be used to remove the halogen bulbs and place them in a baggie as possible spares. Do not touch a halogen bulb because the oil on your skin will compromised the bulb. The G4.RV2N-H LED simply plugs back into the same plug recepticle. I left the first replacement one on as I replaced the others plus messed around for another 30 minutes in the coach. I wanted to test for any heat build up with the G4.RV2N-H LED's. No Heat Build Up whatsoever, nice and cool.

Assessment -- A bit expensive per bulb but worth the cost due to saftey.
I replaced one halogen bulb last week. Bought replacements at a local RV service and supply store for $1.95 each, 10 watt. Seems as though I can do this replacement 9 times for what an LED costs.

Don

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
"I replaced one halogen bulb last week. Bought replacements at a local RV service and supply store for $1.95 each, 10 watt. Seems as though I can do this replacement 9 times for what an LED costs."
Yes you can, but they are HOT and they consume a lot more amps. We will be boondocking and using solar.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Shadowcatche;755787Yes you can, but they are HOT and they consume a lot more amps. We will be boondocking and using solar.[/QUOTE]

and they are fire hazards
Old 12-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Interesting LED option John. Do you know yet if these will fit as replacements for the halogen bulbs in puck lights?

Rick
Is that an Eriba Puck?
gumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote