Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Inquiring mind needs to know...

The hardwire versions have a bypass capability, so if the unit has a failure, you can hit the button and be back live. So, if you are willing to carry a portable as a spare, wouldn't this give you the same capability? In case of a failure, just plug in the portable at the power post.

I think I have seen posts where the HW version failed, they called Progressive and were shipped replacement parts and the failed parts were later shipped back.

I went with the HW version because I have a bad case of CRS and wanted to avoid leaving the unit at a camp ground.

For the people who are concerned about moving the EMS if they are upgrading their rig and want a portable EMS so they can take it with them. Comparing the cost of the EMS to the cost of a trailer, isn't the EMS cost a nit? Plus, at time of upgrading, a better EMS may be available... Just my opinion. (yup that's me wandering in the dark...)
I understand the HW version has a bypass feature, but a direct lightning hit could fry that switch, etc. so that it wouldn't work. I spent too many years in the electrical field and lightning can and does do a lot of strange things. I know Progressive will ship replacement parts for the HW just like they will ship replacement units for the portables, but what if the HW is hit hard enough to damage the case or other parts that would make the replacement parts impossible to install?

I too have CRS disease, but I just have a rule that I never/ever unplug the power cord from my PT50C until the PT50C is unplugged from the power pedestal first. Will I screw up some day? Maybe, but I hope not. I do know one thing for sure, "I will never plug in anywhere without my PT50C".

Right now I'm on my home base site on a residential lot and started having high voltage spikes on one leg. It has happened 14-15 times over the past month. I logged the date/time of each episode and reported to the power company. After a couple of weeks and 7-8 episodes they called to tell me they found the problem and thanked me for reporting it and keeping such good records of date/time. They said not only were they sending out spikes, they didn't have a system to identify this particular issue. It hasn't happened again since this call. Progressive wins again in my book. No damage was done to me, but what about the other residents around me in their s&b's that didn't even know this was happening?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I like the hardwired version, but I can install it myself. If someone wants the portable, I like Cliff's installation!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Short posts are a problem for the portable ones

We initially bought the portable Progressive unit but it is only to be used hanging vertically and we kept encountering electrical hook up posts that were too short to allow that. We gave in and got the hardwired version.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I understand the HW version has a bypass feature, but a direct lightning hit could fry that switch, etc. so that it wouldn't work. I spent too many years in the electrical field and lightning can and does do a lot of strange things. I know Progressive will ship replacement parts for the HW just like they will ship replacement units for the portables, but what if the HW is hit hard enough to damage the case or other parts that would make the replacement parts impossible to install?

I too have CRS disease, but I just have a rule that I never/ever unplug the power cord from my PT50C until the PT50C is unplugged from the power pedestal first. Will I screw up some day? Maybe, but I hope not. I do know one thing for sure, "I will never plug in anywhere without my PT50C".

Right now I'm on my home base site on a residential lot and started having high voltage spikes on one leg. It has happened 14-15 times over the past month. I logged the date/time of each episode and reported to the power company. After a couple of weeks and 7-8 episodes they called to tell me they found the problem and thanked me for reporting it and keeping such good records of date/time. They said not only were they sending out spikes, they didn't have a system to identify this particular issue. It hasn't happened again since this call. Progressive wins again in my book. No damage was done to me, but what about the other residents around me in their s&b's that didn't even know this was happening?

How high of spikes were you seeing? I was at a site this past year and saw a reading of 128v on my little portable plug in device. Do any of these EMS units have a booster built in if they would drop down to let's say less than 110v. Shouldn't most of our equipment handle 110v legs?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
We initially bought the portable Progressive unit but it is only to be used hanging vertically and we kept encountering electrical hook up posts that were too short to allow that. We gave in and got the hardwired version.

Where does it say the portable version has to be used hanging vertically only?

I use a 15' extension and then put my portable 50amp version inside my power compartment. I just recently had mine replaced and one issue was moisture was getting inside. If I cannot reach the power compartment with my extension cable I put it under the motorhome.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #20

I just checked the Progessive website to see if I could find anything about having to have the portable EMS 50 hanging vertically, as I also put mine laying in power bay when hooked up to 20 amp service in our storage site.

In the operating instructions under "weather resistant" it does say it needs to be hung vertically....... So I'll (continue to) assume it's fine not being vertical if not exposed to weather. I'm not particularly concerned...... Can always check with them directly.

Weather Resistant | Can be exposed to elements, however, may not be submerged. Unit is designed to be mounted or used vertically.

On the other hand, it appears the portable EMS 30 and 50 are being discontinued....... so if you want one, need to act now. Check thier website...........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I just checked the Progessive website to see if I could find anything about having to have the portable EMS 50 hanging vertically, as I also put mine laying in power bay when hooked up to 20 amp service in our storage site. I couldn't find anything stating the need for it to be vertical.

On the other hand, it appears the portable EMS 30 and 50 are being discontinued....... so if you want one, need to act now. Check thier website...........

Hopefully they will still honor the lifetime warranty? I also checked the Progressive website before making my post.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Hopefully they will still honor the lifetime warranty? I also checked the Progressive website before making my post.
Sorry, but check my late edit regarding vertical use...... It was under "weather resistant"

We are discontinuing our EMS-PT30C & PT50C's and have a limited quantity available. These still come with our Lifetime Warranty so now's a great time to pick one up while supplies last!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #23

Just a couple other thoughts with regards to the portable EMS 50.

While I had not been aware of the "vertical" orientation, it does appear to me to be related to weather resistance / subject to it or the connections being immersed in water. In any case, the few times we have been subject to short power pedistals, I have protected it with a garbage bag when there was any chance of signifcant rainfall..... It just seemed logical to do, and never had any problems doing that when it was subjected to heavy rain and resting on the ground a couple times.

It will be interesting to see what they (hopefully) replace it with. Seems to be a very popular solution, so it would be kind of surprising if they don't come out with a "new and improved" version. The one thing I would like to be able to do is reset the fault indicator without unplugging..........

Regards
Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #24

I have the portable progressive 30 A unit and use it, it also came with a lock box when I purchased it at CW on sale. I just had to furnish the lock.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
How high of spikes were you seeing? I was at a site this past year and saw a reading of 128v on my little portable plug in device. Do any of these EMS units have a booster built in if they would drop down to let's say less than 110v. Shouldn't most of our equipment handle 110v legs?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I don't know exactly how high the voltage was, but the EMS shuts off power to your rig at anything over 132. As far as low voltage, 110v is fine. It is my understanding that design line voltage is 120v for all utilities and they are allowed +/- 10% so 132 to 108 would be the range and appliances are all designed for this range. I have been told by several utility companies that their limit is +/- 5% and the closer you can stay to 120v the happier your appliances will be.

The EMS units don't boost voltage, but there are other products that do. I don't have one of these. I haven't seen the need often enough to warrant the cost. If I see constant low voltage I just move to another park or turn off the power and wait for it to improve or fire up my generator.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
vertical

Quote:
I just checked the Progessive website to see if I could find anything about having to have the portable EMS 50 hanging vertically, as I also put mine laying in power bay when hooked up to 20 amp service in our storage site.

In the operating instructions under "weather resistant" it does say it needs to be hung vertically....... So I'll (continue to) assume it's fine not being vertical if not exposed to weather. I'm not particularly concerned...... Can always check with them directly.

Weather Resistant | Can be exposed to elements, however, may not be submerged. Unit is designed to be mounted or used vertically.

Thanks for finding that, BertTrvl! I knew it was in the manual somewhere but looked and looked and didn't see it hiding there under weather resistant. Yes, I agree that it probably is only if exposed to rain. I have assume it was because water could pool on it unless hanging down. It does look like the portable ones are being discontinued because they're being replaced by a newer model, so folk who want the portable might want to wait for the new one.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #27

Here are some pictures of my surge protector that Progressive replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive Surge Protector (1).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1,010.1 KB
ID:	147212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive Surge Protector (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	963.0 KB
ID:	147213  

Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #28

Quote:

Portables are being replaced/improved, not discontinued... Was just on the website and saw this:

We've gone back to the drawing board and made some pretty impressive new improvements to the design and function of our most popular Portable EMS-Surge Protector.

Our new EMS-PT's are better than ever and will be available January 2017.