Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Thumbs down HWH Jacks' Design Flaw

I have a newer 625 series HWH system (installed Apr 16 2007) and after 14 months and just 9,000 miles the system started to flicker jacks down during travel. Further troubleshooting revealed that one component on the control board came loose from its solder on the board.

HWH gratefully replaced the board (even though it was more than 12 months) however the same thing happened again about 15 months and about 7,500 miles later. After checking the board I found the same component loose (by applying slight pressure to the component the jacks down light went off). This component is suspended horizontally on the board and road bumps and jolts break the component loose from its solder joing. After removing the control box I found that the component had been replaced (very obvious manual solder joint and excessive heat to the joint and trace).

So it is obvious that HWH is fully aware of the problem but after several phone calls and e-mails I have been left out in the cold without a response.
army1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Why wait for them? If you have it out re solder the component then put a drop of glue between the board and the component so it does not happen again. Can't believe HWH didn't think of that.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #3

Well they kinda did.....they added some silicone on two sides of the radial drum core, between the RDC and two ceramic resistors, but since this was done at 3 and 9 o'clock and the solder points at 12 and 6 o'clock, the 12 o'clock still failed. Turns out, after I removed the RDC I found that the joint did not fail, the lead broke. I can't use the original RDC since the lead broke off inside. Once I procure one (can't seem to find this one RDC10-331K) I was going to do exactly as you describe, especially since there are no trace lines on the front of the board underneath the RDC mounting area!

Great minds think alike, thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #4

Army1sg,

I have been trying to revive a dead 625 panel for a while. I have replaced a voltage rectifier and 2 diodes and jumper-ed a burnt trace wire. The panel will light up but not deploy jacks yet. I will check the RDC for a bad solder joint or open lead. I have been operating Jacks and slides with a simple box with switches I made up but want to get the board working properly. I may still end up getting a new one from HWH. Please let us know if you locate a source for the RDC's.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RDC ?

I was an electronic tech for 35 years (15 years ago now), what is an RDC?
Is is something Digitec would have in there huge catalog?
Walt
Old 12-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

Sometimes, the component soldered to the board - usually a ceramic resistor - gets so hot during operation that it literally unsolders itself from the board. I've had that happen, and other than redesigning the board, I've fabricated a home-made heat sink - usually a strip of copper - to function as the heatsink - worked for me...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Roadwalt,

Radial Drum Core Inductors
Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well try here for the RDC10-331K:

RDC10-331K-RC datasheet pdf datenblatt - Allied Components International - Radial Drum Core Inductors ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #9

Thanks Rex,

Been there, done that.

Good news is that I received a response from Joe at HWH on the 24th, a nice Christmas present, they have agreed to replace the unit for me again, and the new one has a modification to the mounting of the Radial Drum Core Inductor, and they will warranty it for another year!

Thanks for all the help from those self-help (and electronically inclined) RVers......
Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
Army1sg,

I have been trying to revive a dead 625 panel for a while. I have replaced a voltage rectifier and 2 diodes and jumper-ed a burnt trace wire. The panel will light up but not deploy jacks yet. I will check the RDC for a bad solder joint or open lead. I have been operating Jacks and slides with a simple box with switches I made up but want to get the board working properly. I may still end up getting a new one from HWH. Please let us know if you locate a source for the RDC's.
Hi Wayne and Kathy,

Before I send you down a diferent troubleshooting road, the original malfunction was "Jacks Down" light when they were retracted.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While it is maddening in the extreme to deal with repeated failures, It is nice to hear that HWH is standing up and accepting responsibility...

Unlike some other companies who will remain nameless...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #12

army1stg, Thanks it was just another possibility. Where is the RDC located? Your board may be a newer version since mine does not seem to have an RDC. Is it on the touch pad? I can't seem to locate it on my 625 board. I am close to getting my 625 working properly. I am down to the circuit that turns on the pump all other functions seem to work. The pump and master relay are good. I am in no big hurry I have made up some switch boxes to do all the functions without the board.