Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

In need of TIRE help Please!

Spent past few days on the phone and online trying to find tires for my travel trailer.....beyond frustrated.

New to this so that hasn't helped.........2 local places told me they do not stock or have anything they can order online that will suit my needs.

One guy even called Kumho, which said they have absolutely no stock in the US for my needs, and when he called Maxxis, was told they do not carry any tires suitable for my trailer.

Online I was only able to find Kenda Karrier brand....which I have read many negative reviews on. :(

Currently I have the manufactured supplied tires on my Gulf Stream 188rb, specs are ST205/75/D/14, 4 1/2.

I was hoping for Kumho or Maxxis, since I read many good reviews, but every company is telling me that they don't make them for my specific needs.....

Any advise, please?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Lrakeahs;3412294]Spent past few days on the phone and online trying to find tires for my travel trailer.....beyond frustrated.

New to this so that hasn't helped.........2 local places told me they do not stock or have anything they can order online that will suit my needs.

One guy even called Kumho, which said they have absolutely no stock in the US for my needs, and when he called Maxxis, was told they do not carry any tires suitable for my trailer.

Online I was only able to find Kenda Karrier brand....which I have read many negative reviews on. :(

Currently I have the manufactured supplied tires on my Gulf Stream 188rb, specs are ST205/75/D/14, 4 1/2.

Wider tires do not mean better anything when it comes to trailers. I'd guess you already know that the 205 is to wide for your application. It is all about the load rating, not the size. Reduce the width and profile and go up a load rating, but I'm sure the tire guys have already told you that. I'd guess that the factory got a special deal on that size.....

is the 4 1/2 the rim width? most trailer rims are at least 6", so if the 4 1/2 is the rim width then those tires are dangerous on that mounting. I would imagine that the centers are worn while the edges are still have tread on them. If so then the 205 is way to wide for this rim.

It is all about the "load rating"......
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Try " Online Tires" they have your size available in Maxxis. ST 205-75-14, a very common size. $79.59
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

And sorry, the 4 1/2 was referring to the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern......I guess I thought that was an important piece of info.

If anyone has any advice on what tires I should get could you add a link maybe.......this has been a frustrating chore....arrgggg!

Many thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Ok, so I get a little smart and I see THIS on the trailer for tire specs......I was looking for tires based solely on what was already on the trailer from the manufacturer.

I want "D" 8 ply......so according to this I need the ST205.......although it states in the specs "C", does it make a difference if I get the "D" in the same tire?

My Tire Specs HERE

So I called around hoping to get Kumho or Maxxis tires, ST205/75D14, but could only get the Maxxis is a "C", or go with Bridgestone, Thunderer tire with those specs in a "D".....which would be my best option????...I am totally paranoid about a tire blow out and it's dangers and damages........HELP!

Oiy oiy oiy!! :(

This shouldn't be so hard..........
Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrakeahs View Post
Ok, so I get a little smart and I see THIS on the trailer for tire specs......I was looking for tires based solely on what was already on the trailer from the manufacturer.

I want "D" 8 ply......so according to this I need the ST205.......although it states in the specs "C", does it make a difference if I get the "D" in the same tire?

My Tire Specs HERE

So I called around hoping to get Kumho or Maxxis tires, ST205/75D14, but could only get the Maxxis is a "C", or go with Bridgestone, Thunderer tire with those specs in a "D".....which would be my best option????...I am totally paranoid about a tire blow out and it's dangers and damages........HELP!

No One makes that tire in a LRD. The "D" in your tire size indicates it's a bias ply tire. The picture of your trailer's certification label ends the tire size with a "C". That's its load range.

If your trailer will except a tire about a half inch taller and wider, the 215/75R14C will provide about 100# of extra load capacity per tire at the same PSI as the OE tires.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrakeahs View Post

My Tire Specs HERE

Did you read my prior post? It is not hard to find tires. I gave you the website and price. You can pick larger sizes based on clearance and get the load range you want.
The only thing I didn't do was to place the order and have them shipped to you.
I don't understand the problem, since there isn't one.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #8

My local Walmart has those on the shelf, $45 apiece. The Super Walmart even has some already mounted on generic wheels...
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Towing a boat for over 30 years I have been through trailer tires many times.

I have found that I seldom buy my tires unmounted anymore.
I have found it more cost effective to order the tire and rim already mounted from a trailer supplier.

Look at tire and tired/wheel options from eTrailer.com

they have the tires you are wanting as unmounted and mounted tires.
they have other options other than the ones you want to avoid.
For the last few years a have run quite a few Loadstars (Kenda) with good success on a heavily loaded boat trailer.

Prices are good, and their service has been good. I have purchased from them for the last 20 years.
(have no affiliation -- just recommending a supplier I have used many times)

I also gave up on bias ply's and have gone to radials years ago. I have not purchased bias ply for years. Having said that I would not mix a radial and a bias on the same axle.

You will get just as many opinions on trailer tire brands as large RV tire brands. i have had very poor results with Goodyear of recent years, and Carlisle always. Many tread separations with both brands.

good luck.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Even my enclosed trailer LRE tires worked out to be a better price ordering them online already mounted. I sold the old ones locally which made the deal even better.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Towing a boat for over 30 years I have been through trailer tires many times.

I have found that I seldom buy my tires unmounted anymore.
I have found it more cost effective to order the tire and rim already mounted from a trailer supplier.

Look at tire and tired/wheel options from eTrailer.com

they have the tires you are wanting as unmounted and mounted tires.
they have other options other than the ones you want to avoid.
For the last few years a have run quite a few Loadstars (Kenda) with good success on a heavily loaded boat trailer.

Prices are good, and their service has been good. I have purchased from them for the last 20 years.
(have no affiliation -- just recommending a supplier I have used many times)

I also gave up on bias ply's and have gone to radials years ago. I have not purchased bias ply for years. Having said that I would not mix a radial and a bias on the same axle.

You will get just as many opinions on trailer tire brands as large RV tire brands. i have had very poor results with Goodyear of recent years, and Carlisle always. Many tread separations with both brands.

good luck.
I too, have had really god luck buying stuff from eTrailer.com. Their prices are much better than local RV suppliers and shops. I would highly recommend them. When an order came in on time, they jumped through hoops to fix it. Very good on the advice too! $115 a tire with free shipping is just a tad less than what I would pay at a local shop. And that includes a new rim!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Did you read my prior post? It is not hard to find tires. I gave you the website and price. You can pick larger sizes based on clearance and get the load range you want.
The only thing I didn't do was to place the order and have them shipped to you.
I don't understand the problem, since there isn't one.
I appreciated the information provided, and I think in my lack of knowledge, I couldn't find what I thought I needed for my TT......I thought they had to be travel trailer tires, and when I went to the site and chose "trailer" it only gave me 3 options and none were Maxxis brand, or a brand I was hoping for....eg: Kumho or Maxxis.

Anyways, I probably made it harder than it really is simply because I thought from what I had read, that there was a difference between "tires" and tires for a travel trailer........

Save
Old 01-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
There is a difference (however it is often debated) between a regular passenger tire, an ST tire -- and an LT tire.

Here is a description copied from another website.
When I mentioned sTRAILER -- I was talking about buying and using ST tries.
I use ST tires on my boat trailer and I am guessing TT's come with ST tires
==============
ST tire designation: ST stands for Special Trailer tire. ST tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not designed for the load or traction requirements of a drive or steering axle. ST tires have strengthened sidewalls to prevent the tire from rolling under the rim in turns and when cornering. All ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. ST tires feature materials and construction designed to meet the higher load requirements and demands trailer towing presents.
===============

in my opinion the tire you are looking for would be a
ST205 tire
That is not a car tire. It is a trailer tire.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #14

Thank you so much for clarifying