Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter Generator Edison plug?

I recently bought an inverter generator. While doing my research I read that they have a "floating" neutral. If you use the little tester on the outlets while using the generator it will show an "open ground" fault. Some electronic devices won't work if I'm not mistaken. The fix appears to be an Edison plug. (plug with neutral/ground shorted) You just plug this shorting plug into one of the outlets on the generator and now neutral is bonded to ground.
I'm just wondering if most use this plug and just leave it plugged in? I just know that with it plugged into the generator all of the outlets in the rv test good with the tester.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would be very curious to see what device would not function properly with an open ground. In any event, all rv AC distribution panels have an isolated neutral buss. Have you tried your tester in your house? I do not believe that a properly wired system would show a fault like that.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinroch View Post
..... I do not believe that a properly wired system would show a fault like that.
A very quick google of "inverter generator floating neutral" would show you that this is perfectly normal. Thus my question for other RV'ers and what they are choosing to do.

The tester and my 4 meters all work in my house and in the RV.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinroch View Post
I would be very curious to see what device would not function properly with an open ground.
I didn't actually say it "had an open ground". The tester shows an open ground fault with inverter style generators.

I believe some/all of the progressive industries protectors will not work without the Edison plug. I don't have one but I've read that on here I'm pretty sure.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thus my hesitance to reply to posts is validated. I hope you get the answer you are looking for. I was just trying to help. I will not do that anymore. All the best.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think you actually added to the discussion.....you should continue to reply. Without your reply and others there would be no need to have this website. I just tried to answer your questions.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

I have a Progressive brand 50 amp EMS hardwired in my Toy Hauler. I installed it on the load side of the transfer switch so that it protects the trailer circuits no matter if they are being fed from shore power OR generator power. I have never used the "Edison" plug as you call it, and everything works just fine, no matter whether it's on generator power or shore power. And yes, the trailer 120 volt grounds and neutrals are not tied together.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I have a Progressive brand 50 amp EMS hardwired in my Toy Hauler. I installed it on the load side of the transfer switch so that it protects the trailer circuits no matter if they are being fed from shore power OR generator power. I have never used the "Edison" plug as you call it, and everything works just fine, no matter whether it's on generator power or shore power. And yes, the trailer 120 volt grounds and neutrals are not tied together.
Thank you. Do you have an "inverter" generator? Really this only applies to the this particular style of generator. Until I bought a portable inverter generator I had no idea that inverters and in particular inverter/generators have floating neutral.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Permanent mounted generators must have a Neutral - Ground bond per National Electric Code and RVIA standards. This is why fixed generators inside an RV or TT measure zero ohms between Neutral and Ground when Generator is connected to the coach's electrical devices thru a manual or automatic transfer switch.

With a portable generator or inverter, it is permissible to not tie neutral to ground, if GFCI protection of loads is not required.

It is also permissible to tie neutral to ground (some do this including Xantrex), so the only way to tell is to measure resistance in ohms between Neutral and Ground with the generator or neutral output off and see if there is a connection.

One major saftey problem with ground and neutral not connected at the power source is that it prevents Ground Fault Interruptors (GFCI) from working correctly, if there is no path from Ground back to the Neutral somewhere between the load and the power source.

I would bond neutral to ground either internally on the output receptable of the generator or externally with the Edison Plug method if measurement indicates it is currently "floating" neutral.

Finally, it is best practice to connect the Generator or Inverter to Earth Ground and to Vehicle Chassis (if in a RV or vehicle). Once again if power energizes the chassis or the earth (for example worn cord has part of black wire exposed and it contacts chassis or ground) that power has to be able to get back to the Generator or Inverter and it can not if Neutral and Earth Ground are not connected. Does not have to be a great earth ground if GFCI protection is being used, I use a long Gutter nail with a stranded wire brazed to it driven into the ground - connected to the ground on the generator - for this.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for response powercat. In my case (portable inverter generator) would you use the Edison plug and ground the generator to the chassis?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #11

And the answer is here.
http://noshockzone.org/generator
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoldesi View Post
Thank you! My research pretty much took me straight to Mike Sokol's stuff. He appears to be the expert on "hot skin" conditions and general AC safety when it comes to this stuff.

The inverter generators are becoming more popular so I thought I would see what people are doing. For now I'm leaving my Edison plug installed and not grounding to the chassis. I also carry the pen like Mike suggested and test for hot skin regularly.

The main point seems to be one connection point for neutral/ground connection. ( EX, breaker panel, transfer switch, generator, Edison plug, etc.)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #13

Thanks for asking and answering this question. I never would have thought of this until I'm out there wondering what the heck is going on.
My added question: if I'm just disconnecting the battery and running a battery charger off the inverter generator, then none of this matters? (No connection between generator and RV) I'm sure it's a silly question, but everything's simple until you learn what you don't know....
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post
Thanks for asking and answering this question. I never would have thought of this until I'm out there wondering what the heck is going on.
My added question: if I'm just disconnecting the battery and running a battery charger off the inverter generator, then none of this matters? (No connection between generator and RV) I'm sure it's a silly question, but everything's simple until you learn what you don't know....
I think you're safe. My inverter generator has a DC output but it has to go through a charge controller. When I measured the output it was around 19 volts with no load. The other funny part is I'm not supposed to use the generator at the same time I'm using the DC out..... weird.

Tags
generator, inverter