Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Iota Engineering-Bad Experience

Just wanted to post my experience with IOTA. I recently purchased an older RV with a Magnatek converter that liked to get very hot and tended to cook the coach batteries without fully charging (never got over 13v).

I read glowing reviews and comments on the IOTA converters so decided to go with them and purchase an American made DLS55 with the intelligent charging module. From day one the converter would blow the shore power gfci in my home.

After much reading on the web about troubles with GFCI and newer integrated power converters I became not only confused but angry. The consensus appears to be to stay away from GFCI outlets. Silly me, but if newer converters are GFCI incompatible, then it should be clearly stated on the product literature. Moreover, having to run a new non-GFCI circuit to my garage is an absurd workaround. Lowering safety and spending more money is a bad trade off for a more efficient battery charger.

I contacted IOTA and after 3 days, was email an RMA with return instructions and an interesting disclaimer which stated that any product returned but not found to be defective by IOTA would be scrapped and nothing further would be done.

Very interesting policy. I wish they made this clear on the outside of the box.

Nevertheless, I returned the converter, at my shipping expense of $19.00.

One month later, (3 weeks in their possession), nothing. No email response. Tried calling the only "tech" but only get his voicemail. Left a message yesterday, still no reply. Today I was told that no processing has begun on my item?!

In the meantime, to avoid having to cancel two RV trips this past month, I purchased Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converter, slightly lower rated at 45 amps. Works perfectly, not a single GFCI issue while plugged in at home or anywhere else. And it was $50 cheaper, also made in the U.S.

I emailed IOTA's president (since customer service can't help) still waiting for a reply.
Just wondering if they decided to "scrap" my new converter?

For the record, Iota's Return Policy is quoted below:

Defective Stock
Prior to returning defective material, the RMA Request Form must be submitted to and approved by IOTA Engineering. IOTA Engineering will issue specific instructions as to the disposition or return of defective material. Material returned as defective but found to be in good working order will receive no credit and will be scrapped unless other arrangements have been made, in writing, by the customer with IOTA Engineering prior to the return of product. The customer may contact IOTA Engineering Technical Support for troubleshooting assistance by calling 1-800-866-4682.

Just my 2 cents.

Storch
93 Fleetwood Pace Arrow (now with fully charged batteries)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IOTA Engineering RMA Policies.pdf (51.2 KB, 69 views)
storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have put IOTA converters intwo RVs and never had an issue with anything. The one that I did put in a progressive Dynamics created so much RFI that I could not use the shortwave radio. PD's approach to the problem was to build a Faraday cage around the thing. It was yanked and replaced with an IOTA.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would stay FAR FAR away from ANYTHING that is made by IOTA or has the IOTA name on it.

Their transfer switches were fire hazards and they knew it. So they stopped making them but there are lots of RV's with the POS still inside.

I think they took that route versus being taken to court.

As far as I am concerned, anything that IOTA makes is ONLY good for Boat Anchors if you tie enough of them together.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I've had Progressive Dynamics converters in all our 5th wheels since 2000. Never a problem. I highly recommend them.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
why would u be on a gfi either 30 or 50 amp plug in neither gfi???
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
why would u be on a gfi either 30 or 50 amp plug in neither gfi???
To keep the batteries topped off when rv is in my driveway between trips, or to run the fridge a day or so before a trip to get it cold, or to have 110 power while working on the rv, e.g. Cleaning, vacuuming, prepping for a trip.

Most newer home these days must have gfci outlets on exterior and garage locations to comply with building codes.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

Update: iota called and "found" my converter. It was "repaired" and just shipped.
I'll swap it with the PD 9200 and see if it works as it is supposed to. If so, looks like I'll have a spare/backup converter.
Storch.
93 pace arrow 34'
Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

As with so many venting post's, this one was event specific, and proof that stuff happens but our emotions take over before realism.

The Ford vs Chev argument, whatever the product, will never end.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote