Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #1

If you are thinking about getting the KVH L2, auto seek, in-motion satellite system and you use directv, you probably should wait until both parties get their act together. The D10 receiver that KVH is giving you, as part of their promo, has the low speed dataport screwed up recently (June 14th) by a software update from directv. Right now, L2+D10 combo will not be able to auto seek any satellite. I have been patiently waiting for a fix and it looks like CW is going to help me out here...

Right now, I would avoid the L2 product. I don't know about the S2, but I suspect any KVH that uses the dataport to have the same problems. However it seems that the really old rca receivers are fine...Apparently, the software updates were only for the D10?

Wish I got the DVS based systems...but they cost many $$ more.

Anyone have an opinion on the [moving view] in-motion system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 AM   #2

I have the same problem with my L2 sat.and D-10 rec. It has been a month or so since the problem started. It doesn't look like DirecTV is in any hurry to send out software to fix it. I am going to call KVH to see if they can reprogram my L2 through my laptop.
It seems odd that there aren't more complaints on the forums about the KVH in motion problem. I am wondering if most people got their KVH problem fixed already, someway that I am not aware of.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #3

KVH has no firmware updates for the L2, as of a few days ago. Asked about them for another reason.

They did say I could upgrade to the DVB system as in an L3, but it retails for $799, no thanks.

Mine is working fine without a data connnection. Not sure if I have a "D10" receiver or not. (Never have been able to make the data connection work. Had a bad switch plate/control head fixed that, still deosn't work.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:45 AM   #4

tderonne,
By saying your's works fine, do you mean that you manually find the right sat. and then it tracks it in motion?
I leave for my next trip Wed. and I was hoping that was all I had to do.
My motorhome is sitting next to the house now. I manually selected the sat. When the programs came in I turned power off to the ant. so it wouldn't search during storms.
I was wondering if I turn power back on to the ant. 15 minutes or so before I move the MH if it would track in motion?
I also changed the setting on the rec. menu to a round dish. This seemed to help load the guide and info. strips at the top, showing the channel,etc., per KVH's website suggestion.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #5

Pretty much, yes. It does lose the right satellite now and again, so it can take a few punches of the sat button to get it back on the right one. I don't have an HD setup though, just a simple round dish, if that makes difference.

I guess I should also ammend my statement on "working fine" though, once it did think it was locked on (satellite getting good strength), but no TV. Just unplugged it for while and started over. I read after that about the DirecTV problems, that could well have been it.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #6

directv sent the software to the D10, which in turn screwed up the low speed dataport that the kvh system needs. If you call kvh, like I tried, they will keep telling you that they are OK and that directv needs to fix the 3 things that got screwed up. meanwhile, you do not have the auto seek feature that you paid for. I would call kvh just so that the complaint is logged and they see that it is not just ME complaining. Thank goodness (so far) that Camping World is going to try to help me on this...since I just recently bought this money waster...

I posted this to help those that are looking to buy one right now to understand the issues...My recommendation is to buy DVS based systems, which costs more. Or to wait and wait and wait until the fix is in...

Personally, I am hoping that CW can't fix this problem and that I can get a good price on a diff system (or patch my roof where the L2 used to be)....

I am so unhappy about this right now...

Personally, I would not accept the "manually push the button until the right satellite is found" option as being OK...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchell:
... do you mean that you manually find the right sat. and then it tracks it in motion?
That is the kvh work around for the problem right now...but you need to leave the power on so the dish will track as you are moving down the road.

Whenever you turn off kvh and turn it back on again, it always goes thru its system check and it will need to relocate the sat again...

If you are stationary, you can manual seek, then turn off power to kvh...That that is basically a S2 or S1 model, which costs less than a L2...again, you paid for a feature that is not working.

When I am stationary, and I know the zip code, I can find the sat faster than the L2 anytime, using my old wind up manual dish...I thought I was improving my MH enjoyment, but this L2 problem is giving me more headaches than I need.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #8

LandHo,
Please let us know what CW does to fix your L2. I didn't buy mine at camping world so I don't know if they will help me.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #9

CW was very sympathetic to my problem. Especially since I just had the thing installed. They talked to KVH. Here are the following solutions (from KVH):
1) Wait until the software updates are made to the D10 (there are 3 things that needs to be fixed)
2) Upgrade to the DVS based system for about $450+install fee (45% discount from KVH...whoopee)
3) Have CW do some special software programming/fixes...
4) Find a few older RCA receivers that are unaffected by the software updates.

I choosed #4. Luckily, my old receiver was on the short list and it seems to work. I also bought an identical one that CW uses, as a backup...
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
LandHo -

What RCA receivers aren't affected by the problem (or where can we find the list you mentioned)?

I just got my KVH installed and, due to several circumstances, the motorhome has been all the way from the dealer to the gas-station (an unpleasant journey in itself) and then to the backyard, so I dunno if I have or will have your issue, but wanted to be ready.

TIA,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #11

LandHo,
I would also like to know what receiver works. Does it have a model number? Maybe I could find one on e-bay if I knew what to look for.
I have a D10,D10-200 and D10-300.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #12

RCA DRD-
these are older units...ebay is probably the best place to find them...about $15-$20

D10s are the ones that got messed up...arrgghh!!
When I talked to kvh, they didn't recommend D10-200 or D10-300 even before this round of problems. They said the D10 was the only one that was "ok" (before the software bo bo occurred)
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #13

If you go to the KVH web site they have a form you can download, fillout and fax back to them. They will send you an older receiver that uses the low speed data cord. I faxed the form in Monday.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #14

ABOUT TIME!!
Here is the link for the D10 problems

http://kvh.com/d10/index.asp