Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

LED light bars and driving lights

I was wondering if anyone uses an LED light bar on the front of their RV for driving on remote country roads or driving into boondocking sites after dark.

Obviously I'm not wanting to have something for driving though campgrounds after dark, or down roads where I could blind oncoming vehicles.

I DO NOT want to cause a problem or hazard to others, but there have been times where I've been in some VERY dark areas where flooding the road ahead, and the shoulder with light would really help. Just don't know if it's worth it.

My Serengeti does have a set of factory installed driving lights which I'd like to replace with led versions. Have you done this and what worked for you.

Thanks,
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I do not have anything on my current MH, except terrible headlights. My DW's jeep has the LED system, and my RAM 2500 has lights by a company called Liteforce. Both are off road only add ons, so I am not comparing apples to oranges here. I would take one set of Liteforce over 4 sets of high quality LED's. I don't use them often, but when I do it makes me smile just a little bit.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

I posted something similar a few weeks ago. Kinda got a little flamed about all of it but I plan to install a couple driving lights for the rare occasion we're out after dark. I have a dead spot center lane where no amount of aiming of the headlights will cover. I'd thought I could just get a single LED 18"-24" bar but will probably go with a set of 6-7" LED driving lights.

There are some nice lightbars that also do fog lights that I thing would be great, but I think it's just a matter of time until the lightbars will be a target for police to pull you over. I've seen too many jacked up trucks using them as their primary headlights lately.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

The fact that you had to add so many disclaimers to your post says way more about this forum than it does about you. Okay rant over....

Yes, we run an LED light bar conveniently mounted in the lower fascia of the front cap.

I bought it here and highly, highly recommend having one for rural driving:
Lazer Star Lights - LED light bars & Lighting Accessories
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #5

I completely understand the touchiness of the subject as I've been an amatuer astronomer for 50 years. I'm very much against the improper use of light. Where I live there are quite a few jacked up truck that have terrible led headlights, driving lights and HID lights. I'm a big believer that more light doesn't equal good light. I have switched to HIDS my car because it is a european designed and built car that has projector headlight that were designed for them. I love them but wouldn't put them in my wife's SUV because they would produce a lot of glare.

In the near future we will be full timing and expect to do quite a bit of boondocking and I'm thinking of the few times I've been caught traveling down dark, narrow, country road or being a place that seems to suck the light right out of my headlights. A decent light bar may help in these circumstances especially since my copilot gets very frightened when the road is that dark. Our primary plan is to travel and arrive during daylight but the best plans of mice and men. . . .

I figured there might be others who have traveled this path before me.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have both 50" (at roofline) and 30" (in grille) single row LED light bars on my Hummer H3; only use them off-road or rural deserted roads, and smile broadly every time I turn them on! But I too am planning on shortly adding a 40" to the grille of my RV, for occasional use in rural deserted areas only.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I put a set of these on my motorcycle for daylight recognition by all of the distracted drivers out there. They work great, actually better than great.

BUT, they are way too bright for driving into on coming traffic at night time, when I use them as a way to light up the rural two lane roadways at night they are fantastic.

I'm sure I could lower the projection to eliminate some of the issues with oncoming traffic, but then I would loose some of the total illumination they provide on the back roads.

BriteZone™ LED Work Light, 1400 Lumens, Slim, Flood

Jim
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #8

Jim,

I have something very similar on my Harley Ultra. I have the front of the bike lit up like an alien spacecraft, not so much for me being able to see, but for others to see me. #1 danger for bikes - besides being a stupid rider - is car making left turns in front of the bike. I added that style driving light a few years back after driving the motorhome back from a camping trip. While driving something caught my attention far back in my rear view mirror - and it was still daytime. Turned out to be a BMW touring bike with similar lights. Got home and ordered a pair for my bike.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm seeing some decent light bars for not a lot of money and am leaning toward installing one. Driving after dark in the motorhome scares the heck out of my wife, I'm doing the driving. Her rule is, we will ONLY travel during the daytime which is easy when you are traveling locally, but when we go to full timing I know there's going to be times the sun beats us to the horizon.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

I certainly sympathize with motorcycle riders wanting to be seen by others. However, no disrespect intended, I don't think any version of LED has any upper light beam "cut off" and this leads to the excessive brightness suffered by oncoming drivers.

I think there are traditional driving light products that provide additional light without blinding oncoming traffic. Kudos to jlckmj for being aware of mis-using any bright light product .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
...I'm sure I could lower the projection to eliminate some of the issues with oncoming traffic, but then I would loose some of the total illumination they provide on the back roads.....Jim
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:40 PM   #10

No disrespect taken here. When discussing vehicle lighting, glare and light going where it isn't supposed to is an important factor to consider.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I certainly sympathize with motorcycle riders wanting to be seen by others. However, no disrespect intended, I don't think any version of LED has any upper light beam "cut off" and this leads to the excessive brightness suffered by oncoming drivers.

I think there are traditional driving light products that provide additional light without blinding oncoming traffic. Kudos to jlckmj for being aware of mis-using any bright light product .
I have a light bar but it is connected to the high beams so I turn it off for oncoming traffic.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I have a light bar but it is connected to the high beams so I turn it off for oncoming traffic.
Which is the obvious solution, if I fit one that is how I'm going to do it.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I will move mountains to NOT drive at night, but sometimes you have to !
(more because I don't want to reduce the bug population by a gazillion with the front of our rv and set up after dark than any other reason )

I got led pairs for the front of our jeep and they light up the night and can be directed where I need them, going to get a pair for the rv too as soon as I retire.

even upgraded the backup lights to 50W !!!
first 2 pics are of cubes and before I aimed them
(that bright reflective sign in the distance in the 2nd pic is a long, LONG ways away.)
last is with one of the backup lites with stock for comparison...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-10 002.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	183587   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-28 008.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	183588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2846.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	183589  
Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I have used the driving lights on my MH one time, in fact for many years one was broken and one burned out.. I finally replaced them last spring with a pair of LED lights. 18 watt CREE (Equal to 600 watts of incandascent light....... EACH... Per some testing I've done).

I still don't use 'em.

Tags
led, light, lights