RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

Looking at Washer/Dryer options

I had a 5th wheel with a stacked washer / dryer. I liked using it but did not like all the space it took up. I sold the 5th wheel a few years ago. Now I am looking for a new RV, probably a travel trailer. I have seen and like the travel trailer with washer / dryer prep.

How well do the newer Combo washer/dryers work?

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My personal opinion is that the "new" combo just has a new Mfg Date. We had a combo in our 2008 MH, and now have stacked in this new to us MH.

With the combo it took about 4 hours to wash and dry a load. Useless as far as we are concerned. Then think about the stack-able. When finished washing, you put the clothes in the dryer and then put another load in the washer. With the combo it is 1 four hour load at a time.

Consider lightening your load in the RV in other areas and go with a stack-able unit.

Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

After 1 trip we gave the combo to friends, surprised they still talk to us. 2 1/2 hours for a tiny load. Now have stackable.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

The combo units are slow and small. They take about 2 hours to wash and dry a relatively small load. If you don't mind doing a load a day, they can work great. Full disclosure: I never had one, but work with a few guys who have.

What I did with my travel trailer is remove one side of the bunks and use that as a platform for a residential sized washer and dryer. I had to plumb it all myself, but it wasn't too bad. It's great having a full size washer and dryer, but it does shake the trailer a bit on the spin cycle. I usually do my laundry when I'm out and about to avoid the annoyance.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:35 AM   #5

So the combo has not improved over the years and still takes hours to do a load, oh well. When I had the stackable I could wash the top sheet and 1 pillow case then the bottom sheet and the other pillow case.

I think I will continue to go with the stackable units and loose the storage space.

Interesting crazy idea popped into my head. If I buy a bunk room trailer I could turn that into the laundry room and buy residential units. That would be a great set-up. I was watching YouTube videos and the combo washer/dryer was 2 cu. ft. Residential front load washer is 4 cu. ft. or bigger.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #6

I have a Keystone Passport. I removed the chairs at the rear entrance & replaced with a full size washer (via the window -27 inch wide) & a 120V dryer with a counter top over them. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	262501

The pic is before the counter top was added.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
NXR

We have the Splendide 2100XC combo and it works well for the two of us. Sure, it takes 2.5 to 3 hours per load if we don't use Express wash but that's not a problem for us. It's not a lot longer than our 3.5 cu ft washer and 7 cu ft dryer at home take to do both parts (wash and dry), both front loaders.

We use it in the morning to dry the shower towels to keep the humidity down (20 minutes does it) and we use it as the clothes hamper. Once it's half-full we run it.

If you're traveling with kids teh time could be a problem but not for us two.

Ray
Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

We bought our Cameo used with a stackable W/D. The washer then broke down so we removed the stackable unit and went without for a year. We have since bought a Haire 1600 combo unit and have been very happy with it. The way we use it is to do a load every other day and usually hang dry the clothes on a portable folding rack either inside or outside depending on weather and CG rules. We will use a CG W/D for the larger items when one is available. I have said that if the combo ever breaks down that I would replace it with just a small wash mach. But the wife does like to have the dryer option which she will use once in awhile.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #9

We also use the vented Splendide 2100XC. It works perfectly for our needs.

She will put one load in the AM before our day's travel, but not start it; pushing the start button as soon as we land for the day. When that is done, she will put another load in and the dry cycle is our sleeping white noise.

It does everything we need, and it is MUCH better than going to the coin-op.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #10

If you have damp towels can you dry them without washing them with a combo washer/dryer.

Does it have a dry cycle independent of a wash cycle?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you have damp towels can you dry them without washing them with a combo washer/dryer.

Does it have a dry cycle independent of a wash cycle?
Yes. The Splendide has three programs, cotton, permanent press and something else. Each has a dry cycle you can select independently.

Ray
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

Thanks, when we use the pool at the RV park we always have damp towels that I immediately will dry getting ready for the next trip to the pool.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #13

We have the 2100xc vented combo. Only thing I know for sure is with this unit you want the vented version. Honestly I don’t understand the negativity around it, we love it. Wash cycle takes about an hour, wash and dry about 2, it does not take 4 hrs. And it’s not that small, we wash 4 pairs of normal size jeans at once with no trouble. Wash all bedsheets and pillow cases at the same time with no trouble. Bedspread different story, that needs to go to the park laundry or laundry mat.

Usually we will wash items that we don’t want in the dryer, once done hang those up to dry, then start another load for wash and dry. People also complain about wrinkles, the key is to wash the clothes with dryer setting off, once done shake the clothes, put back in and start the dry cycle, no wrinkles. This isn’t any different than what we do at home with separate units. Do you ever just grab clothes from the wash and toss in dryer without separating them and shaking them out a little bit?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, it does not take four hours to wash and dry a typical load in the Splendid 2100XC. Washed on #9 Express wash, it takes 1 hour and 35 minutes.

If you overload the machine or go with a longer cycle it will take longer. Read the instructions and follow them. Do not use any longer cycle than it takes to get the clothes clean. Very few things will take the long cycle. If it a full load of towels and wash cloths, maybe 1 hour and 45 minutes.

SO never more than 2 hours max if you use the machine correctly. It is not a full size home machine and you cannot load it like that.

We have been full time for over 6.5 years with our 2100XC and would not be without it. A stackable unit is heavy and takes up storage space.

Ken