Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
low bridge warning

I recently saw RV 2011 on TV and noticed a product that mounted on top of outside mirror and after programming was able to warn driver of clearance problem ahead. Anyone aware of this device or perhaps is using one that would be able to share your opinion regarding it's usefulness and/or reliability and cost. Thanks and looking forward to responses.

Ranger Rick
2009 Winnebago Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #2

No but I will just say that using truck route on GPS works great for me.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The impression I got from the show was that it measured the height of an object ABOVE you, not in FRONT of you - in which case it's not much use as an early warning system...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Yep, this device only works if you stop and creep up to the low bridge. No warning if you are speeding and did not see bridge.
I use COPilot software on a netbook and it also has low bridge's in database as well as you can import any other points of interest
CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The impression I got from the show was that it measured the height of an object ABOVE you, not in FRONT of you - in which case it's not much use as an early warning system...
Put it on the truck , which is much lower and it will give you warning on those not so labeled places. Even on the RV the A/C units are a good 8 inches.

We ran into a low overhang bridge in Canada with no height signs, only weight signs.

No way to turn around I had to climb up on the ladder as the wife crept forward. We cleared it by about 3".

Truck route GPS is nice, not so handy if you travel off the beaten path.

I saw the show also and have been looking for the product.
Walt523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Use the Rand McNally RV5510 trucker gps already cleaned 1 dome off before I purchased it, now I feel a whole lot better in new area's, the GPS is a lot less money than a new dome
Old 11-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting approach. I like gadgets myself, but didn't hear of this one. I too stick to the truck routes on the GPS even if bunch of the times it does try to take the long way around. Unless I know the area, better safe than sorry.

In terms of early warning, that's what the clearance lights (orange lights on front of the roof) are for - if you are approaching a bridge and you see orange reflecting - stop. Trick I was taught in bus driving school.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #8

Doesn't help at speed but, if I am crawling up to something like a gas station awning, my CB antenna is on the drivers side far front and higher than anything else on the MH. I can lower the window and hear if it touches. MH roof is less than 11 feet so that is seldom a concern, just the vents, etc that stick up higher.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Most any year RM Trucker's Atlas that you can buy at the Hook or other truck stop will have all the low obstacles listed by state.

Always a good resource, inexpensive and these low obstacles typically never change from one year to the next unless the low obstacle is removed or the road is lowered.

This publication (or information) is absolutely essential if you are traveling in the eastern US, especially in New England.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Rand McNally RV GPS. It is OK, but not fool proof by any means. With the height set at 11'6" it tried to send us under a bridge posted at 10' 5". It has also suggested roads that were posted for lower weight than our 20,000 lb setting. The trucking atlas is a necessity with these units.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #11

This is maybe the device that Ranger Rick was talking about back in March.
http://www.giraffeg4.com/index.html
However as other have pointed out it measures the height above you not in front. Okay if you are a spotter/lead vehicle or a 5er moving really slow.
Here is another site to get up to date low clearance POI for the US to add to your GPS
http://www.lowclearances.com/index.html
lefthandturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ranger Rick,
The RV 20XX shows are all marketing and sales, they are not reporting unbiased views. Months prior to the show being taped, they blatantly hawk the show to manufacturers of RV and after market products. Those who pay their price can have their RV or aftermarket product highlighted on the show. After hosting this program for a few years, one would hope the female (talking head) who is on camera would have learned a thing or two about RVs. Unfortunately she has learned nothing. What she says must come directly from the companies whose product she is highlighting. The camera person needs to take a rest in using the zoom and wide scan.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
For anyone who travels off the major highways, it might be useful to carry a telescopic pole in your storage compartment. When extended, it would be 2" higher than the highest point of your motorhome, and if you approach an overpass or bridge of questionable clearance, pull off the road, and use the pole to check for adequate clearance.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Two Youtube videos

Anyone for two "free" AC units.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote