Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Magne Shade Too Short Due To Interior Cabinets?

This post is in response to an old dead thread.

I've had my Magne Shades since about 2011, first major upgrade after purchasing our new then Beast. My solution to the hot cabinet syndrome due to the windshield shade not going all the way up the windshield was to empty the front cabinets and remove the back panels to gain access to the backside of the windshield. Granted I could not see the windshield but, I used Foil Film Insulation cut to manageable pieces to lay flat against the backside of the cabinets. This made a huge difference in the amount of heat that was entering the cabinets.

Back in 2015 while down in Yuma I had to have the windshield replaced and that was the opportunity to get out my staple gun to secure the insulation to the cabinet framing. Sounds like some of you may not be able to access the backside of your cabinets. My Winnie has fiber board panels screwed into the backside of the cabinets to allow access to wiring. Hope this tidbit helps someone, and yes, Roger and company are excellent people ... BZ.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
This post is in response to an old dead thread.

I've had my Magne Shades since about 2011, first major upgrade after purchasing our new then Beast. My solution to the hot cabinet syndrome due to the windshield shade not going all the way up the windshield was to empty the front cabinets and remove the back panels to gain access to the backside of the windshield. Granted I could not see the windshield but, I used Foil Film Insulation cut to manageable pieces to lay flat against the backside of the cabinets. This made a huge difference in the amount of heat that was entering the cabinets.

Back in 2015 while down in Yuma I had to have the windshield replaced and that was the opportunity to get out my staple gun to secure the insulation to the cabinet framing. Sounds like some of you may not be able to access the backside of your cabinets. My Winnie has fiber board panels screwed into the backside of the cabinets to allow access to wiring. Hope this tidbit helps someone, and yes, Roger and company are excellent people ... BZ.
I'm confused. Isn't the magna shades the window screening that goes on the outside of the windshield held on by magnets? Or are we talking about something different?

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Yes, the shade is on the outside of the windshield which has magnets secured in pockets. There are also magnets that you stick to the inside of the windshield.

My point was that some motorhomes have a 5" dark tint across the top of the windshield that the Magne Shade does not cover ... this tint hides the view of the backside of the overhead cabinets when you're looking at the front of a motorhome. Additionally, the backside of the cabinets which are up against the windshield tint area are not insulated and therefore the cabinets get hot.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
gotcha. Do you like the magna shades? Do they help keeping the front end cool? They aren't cheap but I think they do look nice from the outside.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
My front cabinets are about 5" away from the windshield.... but there was this ultraleather covered valance that the interior electric shade was attached to. This made the upper magnets a harder install. I had to remove the shade and valance to place the magnets. Then 8 months later i had to do it all over again due to a new windshield.

I love our magna shade, cooler inside and during the day we can see out and others can't see in. Takes a minute or two to put up front and 2 sides. Wish i would have added the shade for the entry door.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #6

Bill, the shades are worth every penny. We have the windshield and cockpit side shades and as Bruce said, they do cut the heat coming in tremendously. Worth the price for privacy during the day while letting in the light and still having a view.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Bruce, I feel your pain, I didn't think about the coaches with the built in electric shade. My coach only had the 2 piece windshield curtain from the factory for night privacy. The bigger problem I had was the silly small fold down car visor's they put in that never seemed to block the sun. I got tired of doing the "hand salute" to block the sun so I built my own front valance and installed an electric shade that now doubles as my visor and at night privacy shade. If memory serves me right I also got the electric shade kit from MagneShade ... second best investment.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

[QUOTE=FLHTC3;3921787]Yes, the shade is on the outside of the windshield which has magnets secured in pockets. There are also magnets that you stick to the inside of the windshield.

My point was that some motorhomes have a 5" dark tint across the top of the windshield that the Magne Shade does not cover ...

I am confused. When I ordered my Magna Shade I had to provide them with the windshield measurements. Why would anyone not include the dark tint area in the measurement?
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #9

Fulton, can you access the top 5-6" of the interior side of your windshield? I and some others can't mount the top magnets there without disassembling the overhead cabinets.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
Fulton, can you access the top 5-6" of the interior side of your windshield? I and some others can't mount the top magnets there without disassembling the overhead cabinets.
I assume all RVs with front cabinets have that issue and mine is no exception. However, my cabinets and I assume all of the others, do not touch the glass. On mine there is a couple of inches clearance but the electric shades made the situation worse. After a little thought the solution
was simple. I took a plastic, has to be non metallic, foot long ruler and double sided tape, attached the magnet and slid it up into position, not touching the glass on the way up and then pushed it into place. Once all of the top was done I attached the Magna Shade on the outside to allow the glue on the magnets to set up. It has worked for two years now. My avatar shows it installed.
With that said, this year I decided to put some insulation in the front cap. Thinking about it I figured that there had to be a way to access all of the wires that run there without pulling the cabinets. I looked closer at the cabinets and found that the cabinet back piece was held on with just a couple of screws inside the cabinet. Removing the screws allowed the back to come right out through the door and gave me access to the cap to install the insulation but also would have allowed me, with some contortion, to reach the top of the windshield.
Even knowing that I would still use the ruler or a piece of wood trim to install the magnets as it was quick and easy.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Fulton, I see what you're talking about, sounds like it was a PITA and I'm sure Roger had no intention of customers becoming frustrated installing his product. I can imagine what a pain it was to get all the top magnets in place with the protective tape intact to stretch the shade across the windshield and then to try to peel off the backing and get those magnets in the same exact spot. I see that Magneshade has another installation option for those with cabinet interference "If you have upper cabinetry in your coach where the top magnets will be mounted inside, you can place the magnets on the tip of a butter knife to reach into a tight spot. *Some windshields with interior interference will require a combination of interior and exterior magnets. In this case additional instruction will be included."

I just went outside and measured the top windshield tint, it's approx. 12" and not the 5-6" as I stated.

My MH came with the wrap around cockpit curtains and the two fans which are attached to a split panel mounted to the bottom side of the cabinets. I can't imagine the average DIY customer being happy to learn they'd have to remove those items AND the cabinet panels to install the 6 magnets across the top inside of the windshield. FYI, I did add an electric shade to the front of the cockpit as the tiny OEM sun-visors were inadequate.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

Actually it was not a PITA. The ruler worked quite well. It is not as complicated as you think. I removed the backing before using the ruler. It was then simple to slide the magnet into place. It did take two people. One outside holds the Magna Shade in place, starting at a corner and the other slides the inner magnet into place. When it grabs the outer magnet you are done with that corner. You then move to the next one in line until you have all of the top done then start down the sides. It was easy.

Tags
interior