RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

MCD Shades

I recently replaced all of the pleated shades and the powered sunvisors in our Allegro Bus. The entire project was performed at MCD in McKinney, Texas and I've documented the installation procedure and reviewed the product in extensive detail at MCD Shades - Index. There are lots of installation tips that I learned from their techs and have passed them on for others who may be considering upgrading tyheir shades.

We are really impressed with the MCD shades. They are far better than we ever imagined and found that they keep the interior warm when it's cold outside as well as keeping it cool when it's hot. The MCD sunscreen material does more than just filter out heat from the sun's rays. It actually acts as a thermal barrier on overcast days or during the evening as well. I ran some temperature tests on both sides of the MCD sunscreen and found that there was a sizeable difference. I now think of the MCD sunscreen as "clear insulation" rather than sun screening.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Curzer good to hear from you. Info will come in handy when I change some of mine.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

how much did this cost ??
thanks jscott
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
how much did this cost ??
thanks jscott
I can't speak to the cost of installation because I installed shades on the house windows myself. Installation of non-motorized shades is relatively straightforward, and the average cost per shade for manual American Duo shades was around $200. American Duos have both day and night shades. American Solo is either day or night and are less expensive. Except for windshield shades, the prices are on the MCD web site. Click American Duo or American Solo, then click pricing.

Motorized shades are $165 per motor more. You can motorize both day and night, or you can motorize day only with manual night or night only with manual day. Obviously, 12V power must be available for motorized shades. Running 12V power where there is none could add significantly to the complexity of the installation and will add to the cost if you're paying someone to do the installation for you. That's the main reason we went with manual shades. If the shades are motorized, you also need at least one extra-cost remote.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Prices can vary widely depending on how many windows, what size, power, manual, or hybrid, Solo or Dual, etc. The prices are on their site If you go to their website you can click on either the American Duo link or the American Solo link. On either of those pages is a link to pricing. If you aren't quite sure what you are going to need call MCD they can give you a good estimate of what it will take and the various options. As to the windshield shade, if I recall correctly the American Duo powered windshield shade was $795, at least that's what my swiss cheese memory (which is known to be wrong sometimes ) seems to remember. The windshield shades do not require a remote control because they use rocker switches.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have to agree that the Dual MCD screens are wonderful. The stringed Day/Night shades worked OK but were a hassle to raise or lower and the sheers didn't serve much of a heat barrier for bright sunlight nor could you see out of them worth a hoot during the daytime. We installed the MCDs ourselves (all side windows), but since we were in the McKinney area, we stopped by to have them help adjust a temperamental shade. As we arrived late Friday afternoon they gave us a place to park with full hook-ups at no charge. Good folks and a great product.
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

mcd shades

I totally agree with everyone on the shades. I just installed the duo shades on all my side windows. what a difference they make. I noticed right away how the coach was warmer. The windshield is my next project with a trip to texas for that.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the MCDs for the side windows and will install them when DW gets the valances recovered. The job is in process but got interrupted by a death in the family.
I am eager to get them up.

Like a couple of you guys I am planning a trip to TX to have the front windshield shades installed. Maybe early this fall.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced all our window coverings with MCD's day/night shades last April for ~$5000.00 (material, fabrication and installation). The windshield shades are power operated and all the rest are manual. This was done at the MCD facility in McKinney, TX. We made an appointment and stayed in their parking lot with full hook-ups while they were doing the work. After our arrival, one of their tech's was taking measurements before I even had all the utilities connected.

We got there on a Thursday and all the work was done by the following Tuesday (they don't work through the week-end).

One of the best features of their driver side and windshield shades is the ability to, almost always, adjust them so the sun is completly blocked. It's amazing how much more comfortable driving into the sun is without it glaring through the unshaded part of the windshield or side window.

We've been really pleased with these shades and highly recommend them to anyone.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Smile Havenjoy

I just got these MCD Sunshades from a guy in San Diego from a company called Tropic Shield. I dropped my rig off at his site and in 3 days he was done. It is like having a brand new rig. I understand what people mean about them being a thermal barrier. On cold nights I don't have to use my heater as long. Heat seems to stay in longer than with my other blinds and curtains. Plus I can see out and nobody can see in during the daytime which is nice if ya are a single lady like me that likes to run around in her nighty during the mid a.m. I love them. Price was great too. He even built me new valances to enhance the appearance. So Happy!
Havenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Havenjoy. We're glad you're here.

I have to agree, MCD shades are wonderful. We're in the process of changing out our accordian never-even-or-fold-correctly-when-raised d/n shades with MCD duos. I love the privacy of the black day shades. A great upgrade.

Post often of your travels. We like hearing about the places ya go.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I posted above about installing some MCD shades as soon as I had time and did get the job done in the living area.

Last Nov we went to the factory and had the power units added for the windshield and also had manual ones in the rest of the coach. Even had the screen in the screen door replaced with the day material. Also a seamed piece of the day material with Velcro tabs and a regular night shade installed on the kitchen window.

We are very happy with the result. .
I fully agree about the side shades in the cockpit. They are great for keeping the sun coming from the side out of my eyes.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have picked an old thread to comment on as I ran a search to find out if anyone has a problem that we are experiencing. MCD shade seem to be relatively free of problems if one were to believe posts such as the one here. However we are having some problems with one of ours that seems to have been lowered to the end of it's travel and it will not return to the top. When going to the web page, the only repair proceedure is an adjustment wheel on one end of the roller to tighten the tension. That is explained as a way ti adjust the speed that the shade retracts. Adjusting the wheel does not help with our problem. I am thinking that I may have to remove the roller from the bracket and reinstall after rerolling it, if I am to resolve this issue. Will that help? Or is replacement in the cards.
Another negative of the shade is they are not a breathable fabric. This is a positive when trying to keep cold weather out but our windows are framed with a valance that goes along each side of the window. If the shades are drawn for privacy or as shade from the sun while the window is open the wind will buckle the shade and blow it outside of the valance. I expect this will soon damage the shade or at the very least cause it to become unsightly from wrinkles. Our Motor Home is a new 2012 and we are on our first trip with it so time will tell if my fears or right.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

I love our MCD shades, in spite of the issues. The following two links may help:

Problems With MCD Shades | eHow.com

New MCD Blinds

Sue