Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #1

Moth Balls versus Peppermint Oil?

Hopefully I have this in the correct forum.

We're in NJ and plan to winterize our 1999 National RV Tradewinds DP in October. We have an open air pad in our driveway, so we'll get a cover and keep the MH w/ us. As we consider the potential for mice and other assorted outdoor critters to take residence in the MH during the winter months, we've recently read that placing peppermint oil on cotton balls throughout the MH instead of using moth balls is a better option for keeping the outdoor life, well outdoors. All the accessible holes where mice could enter the rig have previously been closed up.

Any opinions, other options and/or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Willie
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

I bought several of those mouse screamers that you plug into the 120 volt plug in. Im assuming that if it is parked at your home, you could keep a cord ran to it. I have tried everything from Irish Spring, to moth balls. The only real success I have had, is with these plug in sonic mouse repellant things. They seem to help. I have not seen any sign of mice in my rv, or my garage since I put them in both of them. They are silent to humans, and don't seem to bother cats or dogs. Apparently, mice can hear them.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pick a smell that you like better, because whatever it is you'll be smelling it. I've had my RV for over a year now and it still smells like the packets of stuff the PO had in the basement storage. Not really offensive but not april fresh by a long shot. No evidence of critters found inside the coach but a bungalow sized nest inside the genset.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #4

From my experience, it works. We stay near a field and field mice just used to run in...which freaked out some of the family members (self, included). That is when we discovered peppermint oil. We just put some on cotton balls and place them in corners, have not seen a single mouse in ages. Don't forget to refresh the smell from time to time.

And - as a bonus! - it seems to me that ants and bugs are not fans of the aroma either.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Peppermint oil, that's a good tip. We tried mothballs in our last unit with only partial success. Dryer sheets did well and we now use them on our present rig. We've also bought some scented garbage bags and when parking in storage we lay a few out and keep some in the storage bay.
I've actually bought a pair of the 'mouse screamers' but have just started using them, one for inside and one for storage. We'll probably go 'suspenders and belts' and do the peppermint oil thing as added insurance. It really sucks when you open your cutlery drawer and see their droppings over everything.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Most home remidies are snake oil. Spend a few hours searching out every opening and seal them up. SS screen or SS wool will do the trick. Follow that up with rodent proof spray foam. Inside place several traps. I really prefer the sticky traps with a dab of peanut butter. Check them weekly and replace when you trap a critter. Move them around once in a while to cover everyplace.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Peppermint oil seems to help but if you have a way in, they'll get in.
I use snack bags and put like 6 cotton balls in each and then squeeze a bunch of drops on the cotton balls. I use a knife and puncture one side of the baggy and leave that side up.
I put a baggy in each bay - smells nice in the coach.
I pulled my washer out of the closet and found that the plumbing was coming through a 4 inch hole from the toilet next to the closet. I figure that was wide open under the toilet so I bought and filled the hole with mouse proof foam. Haven't seen one inside since. The foam does take a long time to expand. Not like cheap less dense foam.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ve used Dryer sheets and Irish Spring have worked for us from the inception of owning our coach. We store it inside a machine shed. All holes are sealed up and we have never had a mouse. We place many many sheets
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #9

Try a mouse pail trap set in the RV. Just put 3-4" of used antifreeze or oil in the pail with peanut butter on the rotating can and it will catch mice all winter. Google mouse pail trap for instructions. Scents won't keep a mouse away if they are really hungry.
Attached Images

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Since we're a "no-kill" household, (except wasps....really, really hate the wasps), we're going to try the peppermint oil solution this winter after a thorough review/fill of all MH holes. We're off to our last camping adventure for the year this weekend, so next up is our first winterizing adventure. Did I say I hate the wasps, man I hate them.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Peppermint oil on cotton balls. We use this each spring on both holes in a groundhog den at edge of woods. When we used the peppermint oil from the health food store, they would come back in a couple of weeks. When we started using Young Living, it kept the groundhogs away the entire season. It also works great at repelling ants and spiders.
Kjinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

I tried 2 "Cab Fresh" packets in my truck engine compartment this last summer and also placed a mouse trap next to the "Cab Fresh" packet. Attached is a picture of the mouse I caught. A hungry mouse don't care about bad scent any more than a very hungry person would (most people have never been in a really hungry situation).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Cab.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	261702  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote