Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #113

I just checked the email. They extended the trade in offer until the 20th!
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #114

We used our 7720 today to go pick up our RV so we could pack up and head south. Our first trip.. Pretty excited. Anyway, there is a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out how to interact with the map view. Couldn't get back once I hit some icons. Learning.. But we live out in the boonies and the directions were right on, including the speed limits and various routes. The voices aren't quite as easy to understand as the gps on my ipad, but we switched it to the male voice and that was an improvement. All in all, very satisfied. Glare was not an issue... On a side note, our trip is delayed. When we got home and closed the door to the cab, the rear slide out window shattered and blew outward. Brand new rig!! As soon as we get that fixed we are headed to dc and then down to fla. will report more on the gps once we use it for real!!
Dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #115

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post

Will do Sam. Thanks
Well Sam, the lady at customer support was nice, but said if I did keep a copy of my coupon and receipt she could not help me. Darn, but I know better, I should have only submitted a copy. Oh well. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to buy the map upgrade for the price of being dumb. :_))
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #116

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Special Price

Well I was lucky enough to find a member here who wanted to move up to a newer unit that gave me a great price on the used one..

Now I can play with the big boys..
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #117

Tiffin Owners Club
After much deliberation, I decided to go ahead and take the RM offer to upgrade. (I have the 7710) my 7720 is on the way to arrive in the 28th.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just learned I'm getting a 7720 for Christmas...because, I was required to return by mail "any exisiting GPS Device" to get a $100 purchase discount (mentioned above?). This $249 deal only ran until 12/18 - sorry folks, I don't know about any extensions to the offer:
7720 Trade In

But anyway...unlike many here, I really like my 7710, so I bought an old Axion Geo 632 from a nice man on craigslist for $10 and sent that away for the perk It was cool stuff in 2007 at $350:
Axion Geo-632 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Now all I have to do is fight the Navigator over which model is better on the left vs. the right seat...I love my toys
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #119
laj

Well they turned out a peace of junk in the screen.the map ability is worthless. I am less then 6 miles off major us hiway it absolutely refuses to allow me routing on, and then rather then they come out with an insulting offer of a 100.00 trade-in when most people paid on excess of 300 less then 6 months ago. To hide it all they will accept any GPS as trade-in rather then a real good faith effort to correct or make right what they already perpetrated on the unsuspecting public. I'll be damned if ill give them another 249 to make them feel better. Nothing but a full refund IMO or straight across trade-in evens the score.

Most reputable businesses work this way. They knew up front there was an issue with the screen and software and if they don't know their product any better then that I don't want to do business with them anyway. All jmo
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Well they turned out a peace of junk in the screen.the map ability is worthless. I am less then 6 miles off major us hiway it absolutely refuses to allow me routing on, and then rather then they come out with an insulting offer of a 100.00 trade-in when most people paid on excess of 300 less then 6 months ago. To hide it all they will accept any GPS as trade-in rather then a real good faith effort to correct or make right what they already perpetrated on the unsuspecting public. I'll be damned if ill give them another 249 to make them feel better. Nothing but a full refund IMO or straight across trade-in evens the score.

Most reputable businesses work this way. They knew up front there was an issue with the screen and software and if they don't know their product any better then that I don't want to do business with them anyway. All jmo
X2.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #121

My two sons went in together to get me a 7720 for Christmas. I have a computer glitch so I cannot load the software from the Docking site until after I figure out my Dell.

I have been playing with my new GPS and I have to say, it is a fine piece of engineering. The screen changes in milliseconds it seems, the screen brightness is awesome, and all of the features are really, really bad-to-the-bone.

I like it, and now I need to plan a road trip to far and distant places to check it out in the real world.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #122

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
New features I like:
1) Weather overlays and maps, especially the wind speed overlay
2) Ability to avoid specific states or provinces, like to avoid IL as a rule. In the past I would have to go route details and select specific roads to avoid then wait for the 7710 to recalculate the route. Now it simply avoids IL during initial calculation.
3) More lines of text on menus and route directions
4) Quick Power Press feature. It allows you to set a specific action associated with a quick press of the power button. I left mine on the default setting of Show Map.

Side by Side Comparison:
1) The 7720 has a somewhat brighter screen, the increased visibility seems to come from better contrast. Whatever the reason it is easier to see in sunlight
2) The 7720 is much quicker in calculating a route. I entered 5 different city center and 4 out of 5 times the 7720 was well ahead of the 7710. On the 5th route it was only slightly ahead. Even with IL set as an avoid the 7720 was hands down faster.
3) When searching for POIs along my route the 7720 was significantly faster than the 7710. Typically the 7720 had 5 to 8 POIs listed before the 7710 had the first one.
4) They seem equal in responsiveness of the screen, if not it's too close to tell.
5) The 7720 boots up quicker
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Okay, this thread talked me into upgrading from my 7710 to a 7720. I missed the $100.00 trade in special but they are offering a 20% off deal for exisiting owners without sending back the 7710 ( or other GPS'). I found this discount from reading an announcement on my Rand McNally dock when checking for updates on my 7710. I am mostly interested in the upgraded functionality of the 7720, especially overlay of weather information.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #124

I got my Dell working as it should and I was able to download the Docking Software.

My only complaint, to date is that the software anticipates you and is so fast in its anticipation that sometimes it doesn't give you enough time to finish spelling out the city/destination name before it takes you to suggestions. Not much of a complaint, that the unit is too fast.

My favorite feature, thus far is the ability of the 7720 to give me campground/RV Park information instantly. I like the warning feature, and the GPS antenna is awesome. Sitting in my study I get full GPS coverage.

I like that the address book is very handy.

Although inn the daylight the screen was a bit difficult to see, although it could have been screen glare. I have since ordered the anti-glare screen protector from RM.

Overall I'd be happy to recommend this piece of equipment to any RV enthusiast.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #125

I also like that you can push button after button without creating any problems...with a click of a button you are taken back to the home screen. Unlike my Magellan, which had to be rebooted all too often.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
Hello
The new 7720 has the means to put in the type of vehicle, car, Class A etc. and then the length, with trailer, weight, height and more. There is a lot of info available on the 7720....the Walmarts, Flying J and others. Has tons of info for the RV versus some GPS units that are designs for truckers. I am in the midst of a review on the 7720 at this time....and yes it does include lifetime updates. ( I did not check but usually the companies that offer lifetime updates is only for the original owner and of only that unit.)
I am interested in your review as I have just received the RVND 7720 for Christmas and haven't even used it yet so any tips, quirks, advantages will be of interest to me.
Thanks,
Jim
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps