Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Outdoor wood burning fire pit which keeps smoke away?

Probably asking for a lot, but i'm looking for a wood burning fire pit which I can setup (dont mind if I have to assemble it every time) outside.

What I am looking for is something that vents the smoke up and away from the kids/wifey as they love campfires but don't like a lungful of burning ash.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Waiting on this one, myself.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/firepit
Old 04-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
WOW. In the meantime what do I do ?

Not sure why it has a rechargable pack that 'powers your fire for up to 24 hours'. If the battery dies, does your fire die ? Or just the ventilation?

Do you need to dous it with water at the end of the night?
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
WOW. In the meantime what do I do ?

Not sure why it has a rechargable pack that 'powers your fire for up to 24 hours'. If the battery dies, does your fire die ? Or just the ventilation?

Do you need to dous it with water at the end of the night?

In the meantime I'm either using my campfire in a can or just smelling like smoke. Mostly I'm using my campfire in a can. I don't like smelling like smoke and I don't like my trailer smelling like smoke.

That thing needs the battery pack to circulate the air to get the more complete combustion. I'd assume that you just kick it to high to finish burning whatever is left.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a Pot Belly Stove with chimmney.

Or an outdoor fireplace (one of the "Teardrop" or Pear shaped ones) with a chimmney.. I don't have the bandwidth for in depth searching but.. (I got lucky fast,, ok, perhaps not all luck)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Black-Steel...lace/999931518

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oakland-Liv...place/50320069

I kind of like that last one.. Nice TALL smokestack.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

I use a Flame Genie. No smoke. Pellets are cheap. No worries about transporting bugs around in your logs and it puts out a lot of heat. Plus very little mess to clean up.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
It'd be nice if it would stay consistent, and sometimes it does. But more often than not, for us, we can sit down on the upwind side, and the wind changes. We move, it changes, repeat.

We sometimes wind up putting four chair around the fire so at least can just change chairs without having to move them.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsqrd View Post
I use a Flame Genie. No smoke. Pellets are cheap. No worries about transporting bugs around in your logs and it puts out a lot of heat. Plus very little mess to clean up.
Bought one last year but have yet to even take it out of the box.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

The best part about a fire pit with a chimney is that the heat coming up the chimney will roast a marshmellow to perfection without imulation !!! Smoke is temporary, the perfect marshmellow is the dream.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

I use a portable propane myself. If I was to carry a wood burning pit, it would be the Solo Fire Pit.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I use a portable propane myself. If I was to carry a wood burning pit, it would be the Solo Fire Pit.
A couple of years ago we were parked somewhere in the south west desert and were thinking about having a fire. One of the campers with a fifth wheel wandered off and came back with a drum from a clothes washer. The drum was placed on 4 largish equal sized rocks to keep it off the ground and the fire was lit. It burned the wood very nicely and in the morning when the fire had gone out and the metal cooled he turned it over to dump the ash and then put it back in the bay on his 5er. No assembly required and cleanup was easy. He claimed he bought it for $10.00 at a recycling place.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep in mind too that smoke doesn't always go UP.
When the barometer is falling so will the smoke.

If you have folks around you that have a wood burning stove or fireplace in their house you'll often seen the smoke rolling down the roof, rather than floating away from the chimney. That's a sure sign that the weather is changing and you're in for rain or snow.

In similar circumstances the smoke from your fire pit is still going to hang around the camp site, even if the chimney is a few feet off the ground.
It will be better, but it shouldn't be assumed to be a sure cure for a smoky camp site.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Propane fire pit all the way. No setup. No Mess. No smoke at all. Still cooks smores just fine.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fire, outdoor