Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Portable smoke Generator, 1# refillable propane bottle, Coleman 30" tree

I have three different comments/questions that are related to grilling and propane:

1) I just bought a Smoke Chief smoke generator and so far it is great. It is made by Smokehouse Products of Hood River Oregon - they are the new company that bought the Luhr Jenson product line and are sill in the same location. They now manufacture the Little Chief and other smokers.

I bought it because of seeing it on demo at Holiday Sports in Burlington WA. the rep was using it to smoke cheese and the samples were awesome. It doesn't add any heat while it is smoking so the cheese doesn't melt. For cooking just attach the smoke generator and fire up the grill - gas, charcoal or electric, whatever you have. The MSRP is about $189 but it was on sale at Holiday Sports for $129 with a $10 gift certificate added for good measure.

I used it at home on my Weber Genesis gas grill - I had to drill a 9/16" hole for the smoke tube. So far we have used it three times and the first use was for salmon filets that were great - I cooked them a little longer than usual but at a very low heat and had smoke on all the time and the last use was for chicken wings that were also great - a little over done but this is still early on the learning curve.

The unit weighs about 2.5# and is about 8"X4"X 10". It will probably fit inside my small Weber charcoal Go Anywhere grill. I prefer to use this grill with charcoal (but it is available in gas also) because of its size and weight. I can't see carrying 40# to 100# of large bulky grill/smoker ( Weber Q or Coleman Roadtrip?) in the basment of the MH. I don't think that i even need to drill a hole in the Go Anywhere grill as I can use one of the vent holes in the grill.

2) Refillable propane bottles:

Manchester Tank is advertising a refillable 1# bottle. I found them on ebay for about $40.00+ but if you buy several 1# disposables over the season the new refillable will pay for itself quickly. They have to be refilled from an existing larger tank 5# or above I know that there are people selling adapters to refill the disposable one pound bottles and apparently a lot of these disposable bottles are being refilled whether it is safe or legal at all. I personally have no interest in refilling the disposable for safety and liability concerns. Since I now carry a 2.5 gallon ( 11#) propane tank I can refill this 1# bottle if I should decide to get one.

3) I just got a new 2.5 Gal Manchester propane tank and when I tried to fasten my Coleman 30" propane mast (tree) the new type OPD fitting extended further from the tank body than the old style tank. Consequently the Coleman tree would not grip the neck of the fitting to hold it upright.
When I contacted Coleman they suggested buying a new tree ($40.00) - for product liability reasons they aparently wouldn't offer any solution. I plan to cut a couple of pieces of steel flat bar stock that I already have and screw or rivet it to the sheet metal gripper jaws at the bottom of the Coleman tree. Has anyone had this same experience and did you get a solution or just buy a new Coleman tree?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

1# refillable propane cylinder

I just found out about another 1# refillable that is made by Flame King. It is available direct for $9 in lots of 30. It is available from other sources also. Apparently it is designed to be filled from fork lift type tanks with a liquid flow in the vertical position. They are coming out with a fill valve for 5 gallon tanks in the near future. Apparently tank can be damaged using other connections but that may be marketing hype to sell fill valve for their tank.

When I get a chance I will get off the Kindle and get on a real computer and find all of the other details.

I did find a local propane distributor (Vanderyacht in Bellingham, WA) that sells the Flame King for $19.00. I will go in and check them out in a few days. I will update this string when I have more info.

If anyone has comments on my original post I would appreciate any response.

Lee
Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have tried to get the cylinders and refill valve, but it apparently can't be sold to end users. It can only be used by certified propane dealers.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane