Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Rand Mc Nally 7720 vs Garmin Dezl 760

I have narrowed my search for a new GPS down to these two models and need input from some of you that have used them. any and all info appreciated thanks
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #2

I have the 760 and it the best GPS I have ever owned.

1. It does the RV routing very good.

2. You can do searches for POIs "Along your active route." That is very nice.

3. Data like time of day, speed, time of arrival, distance to destination, etc are displayed in what is called The Dashboard. You can customize it to your liking.

4. The lifetime map updates provides four updates each year. The RM 7720 provide one update per year.

5. The Garmin tech support is great and quick.

6. I have no issues with the 760 at all.
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

I have the Garmin2595.
Will never buy one again.
While it is supposed to be updated, for Commerces location, it is a big zero.
Ignored the location of a nearby Camping World and another major store.
Contacted by email Garmin to complain that never replied to me.Supposed to be updated for 2013
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
laj

was stupid, bought the 7710, the only way to get any money back out was to buy the 7720. same junk, with the same problems. Bought the 760 and now I have one that works great. No issues at all. Now if I could just get it ignore ce's would be great. way better screen then rm. jmho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

I have decided on the Garmin 760, thanks for you all's input , now to make a new post to find out what all i need to order with the unit
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
was stupid, bought the 7710, the only way to get any money back out was to buy the 7720. same junk, with the same problems. Bought the 760 and now I have one that works great. No issues at all. Now if I could just get it ignore ce's would be great. way better screen then rm. jmho
What kind of problems are you having? I bought the 7715 about a month ago and so far absolutely love it. Have had no problems of any kind so far. Much better than the Garmin I had before.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
RV Trip Wizard
Question on the Garmin 760... How good is the GPS standard software at identifying and warning on low clearances?
Second question, have any of you who own the 760 loaded a third party low clearance database, if so whic one and how effective is it?

Thanks...
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
What kind of problems are you having? I bought the 7715 about a month ago and so far absolutely love it. Have had no problems of any kind so far. Much better than the Garmin I had before.
sending down dirt roads when that was checked to avoid. trying to send me down roads that didn't exist. routing me sometimes up to 100 miles out of my way. telling me to take an off ramp to simply put me back on 3 exits down. refusing to recon. major roads. yes, I had the latest updates loaded. 7710 had total screen washout in slightest sun light, 7720 was a little better. to me the 760 is much superior in all respects. just for finding cg's you have to look under lodging. ajmho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #9

I had the RM 7720 for ONE TRIP. That was enough. It routed me down a 1-lane dirt road, then to a non-existent interstate on-ramp on a dead-end street and was going to take mw WAY out of my way on one leg, just to keep me on an interstate instead of a much shorter state highway.

I returned it, got my money back and bought the Garmin Dezl 760. In my opinion, it is a MUCH better unit.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
NONE of them are any better than the mapware they contract for. Garman, et al.. do not make their own mapping dataware. I have a Honda Civic with a proprietary mapping gps. It has the same mistakes as my Garmin. Similar problems with Google Maps on the computer. The difference here is that I contacted Google and they fixed where I live. Honda took us off Hwy 101 as we headed south to San Luis Obispo.. only to put us back on at that onramp.. go figure. We never took it because we knew where we were going.. but, sometimes it's fun to see where they take you.

Oft times they get confused and take you WAY out of the way..Turn it off and put it back on a route and it's back to the short route. GPS' are helpful.. but.. NOT like having a map. I'm willing to live with the issues.

Just don't blame Garmin, TomTom or Rand Mac.. Blame the mapping people.

Now, if you have a cellphone.. use Google Maps.. it's the best out there.

Of course.. all of the above is one man's opinion
Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #11

Rand Mcnally is a marketing company not a GPS Manufacturer. Garmin is the world standard in many applications. Rand has a history of bringing units to market that are full of flaws: Power connectors that come loose, screens that cannot be seen in daylight and speakers that sound like a 1950's transistor radio. No GPS is perfect. They are a helpful tool. I had the 7720 and hated it! Just got the 760 and haven't had a chance for a real test.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I had the RM 7720 for ONE TRIP. That was enough. It routed me down a 1-lane dirt road, then to a non-existent interstate on-ramp on a dead-end street and was going to take mw WAY out of my way on one leg, just to keep me on an interstate instead of a much shorter state highway.

I returned it, got my money back and bought the Garmin Dezl 760. In my opinion, it is a MUCH better unit.
2X!!

We had virtually the same experience. Had the RM 7710, found it to be misleading with a lousy interface and decidedly not user friendly. Never could get used to it in day to day usage. Tried with it for three longer trips and had the same experience with it each time. Very frustrating, especially given the cost.

Decided to get the dezl 760LMT -- primarily on the strength of the good experience we had had with our Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT in our toad -- and we have never looked back.

Had the dezl 760 been available when we bought the Rand McNally, I am sure we would have bought it, but at that time, the RM 7710 was really the only show in town for RV application with 7" screen. When the dezl came out late last year, I placed an immediate order with Crutchfield and as soon as it came and we used it, I realized how good it was.

Features, ease of operation and updating, voice command that really works, good support -- these are all top drawer IMO with Garmin.

I wanted to be wow'd by the Rand McNally and kept an open mind right up till the end of our third trip, but the connection I hoped for just never happened.

Like with so many other things in the motor homing arena, there are plenty of different and valid opinions -- and that's true with GPS. But the proof of the pudding is always seen with real world usage. And in our travels, the difference between the two brands' RV models was a marked contrast to us.

Just our opinion, but like Rich and Linda, we are very satisfied with our dezl 760LMT.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Got a 7720 a couple months ago.
Issues so far include some odd routing and unable to install dock software on three different PC's running XP or Windows 7. Calling tech support is useless. The need software drivers but don't supply. I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. The tech support is clueless. So guess the free map updates are useless. Only good feature is number of RV parks.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Just bought the 760 this weekend and used it to drive back from Calgary Alberta to the middle of B.C. - I am impressed.
The manual sucks especially when you are trying to import previous waypoints from a older Garmin GPS. Use Basecamp but even it is somewhat difficult. It doesn't give you a chance to select where it saves files to or how to get it to pick up previous .gab files.
I would recommend the new unit. I have an older 7200 that I was updating.