RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

Rand McNally RVT80

This device worked for the first couple of years. Lately it has gone crazy and contributed to my craziness.
I shows my Motor Home off the highway that I am on and tries to reroute me. It loses GPS connection, freezes up, and other crazy stuff.
I have talked to RM at least five times and have gotten good and bad advice. I have tried all of their fixes with no success.
Before this becomes a jack pad, does anyone have any good advice>

Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
There was an update to the Global Positioning System that required that the low level firmware in my Rand McNally GPS units be updated. Without the update the GPS receiver will not provide precise location in real time anymore and the side effects of this are severe. It will provide directions "late" and will be confused on your exact location so it may provide invalid directions based on a wrong location.

The update has to be done manually the "Dock" software is not able to do it. Rand McNally Tech Support hand held me to do the manual update on my GPS. It took about 2 hours on the phone with Rand McNally to get mine updated to resolve the issue.

After the update the GPS is back to normal and works well again.

powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
try a pin hole reset and reboot from the dock
Old 11-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

Yea I tried all of this:
- Went into file manager and deleted it all
-Downloaded new info
- Went to GPS repair with the secret 0135 code to enable
Still didn't work.
First couple of RM people insisted I connect to the dock software....wrong. Then I went through all of this other stuff.
They had me switch off exact location and then put in on again....still nothing.
I resist spending another $400 on a Garmin. Don't know if I have enough patience to call India again for help
Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

This version does not and will not work with the dock. It updates via WIFI.
I have reset with the pinhole and downloaded GPS with still no luck.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Rand McNally Update

i just got off the phone with RM for the sixth time and maybe received the most honest answer.
The RVT80 and another RM device have electro-magnetic interference issues. These issues cannot be corrected with updates to the GPS data.
They are sending me a new mounting bracket and charger that "may" fix the issue. The new bracket has an old style magnet that amplifies the GPS signal to help the unit know where it is.
I am not sure this will do the trick, but I will try it before I spend another $400.
The lady I spoke to was the first person to tell me the real issue. The previous people either didn't know/wouldn't tell me or...........
Old 11-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #7

Rm rvt80

Well I received the new (old version) mounting magnet for the back of the tablet. Put it on, received a GPS signal and entered a trip and all worked.
The question will be during the next trip in January will it survive the entire trip.
I am going to move my tire pressure display to another area to reduce any interference in case that has been a contributor.
For some reason RM also sent an DC charging cable.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
my 7735 was not repairable no idea what they shipped they say a new upgraded model so we will see they did tell me my accessories will not work so i do not like that it is sitting in az even though i am in fl