Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Assuming your compressor is at normal condition, you can get the compressor's max psi output into your tire using the pistol type air chuck that i've mentioned bought from walmart. This pistol type charger has a release botton to maintain your compressor running before reaching the cut-off psi. Believe me it works and if not just return the pistol to walmart. Email me anymore concern and i'm willing to help.
The problem with using the coach air is that you need to have the engine running to keep the pressure up. We wanted the portable air compressor so we could fill tires and run air tools without the engine running.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #16

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
The problem with using the coach air is that you need to have the engine running to keep the pressure up. We wanted the portable air compressor so we could fill tires and run air tools without the engine running.

Bob
Good point Nodine
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
Picked up my Craftsman compressor tonight,,, Looks good, works good, I'm impressed. I'm sure it's going to fit the bill!
Based upon posts in this thread, and the great reviews I read on that unit, I bought one myself yesterday in Bend - wow, what a great compressor and price - very light - and comes up to a full 150 PSI really fast!

I love it - on sale for $89!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915309000P?mv=rr
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
ok guys ,,,,, I'm convinced .... I will go to Sears tomorrow and pick up one of these compressors and start hauling it in my basement so I can ''top out'' my tires without having to go to a service station and pay a buck for two minutes of air thru a short hose with a leak in the chuck.....
Better idea. I could just follow one of you guys and when I need air....... You got a good compressor on board..............
I owe someone ten cents for this valuable information. First one to claim this info and see me gets the dime. The rest of you guys are just s.o.l. ......lol...
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon
God bless our vets .... ALL GAVE SOME ...SOME GAVE ALL
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
ok guys ,,,,, I'm convinced .... I will go to Sears tomorrow and pick up one of these compressors and start hauling it in my basement so I can ''top out'' my tires without having to go to a service station and pay a buck for two minutes of air thru a short hose with a leak in the chuck.....
Better idea. I could just follow one of you guys and when I need air....... You got a good compressor on board..............
I owe someone ten cents for this valuable information. First one to claim this info and see me gets the dime. The rest of you guys are just s.o.l. ......lol...
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon
God bless our vets .... ALL GAVE SOME ...SOME GAVE ALL
Be sure and come back after you buy one, and share your impressions - I sure like mine!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I had bought one to use on my fiver but it took an eternity to air up the tires to the required psi. I took it back and bought the one that is 6 horsepower, the above compressor did not have enought horsepower to fill my tires up in a timely fashion. I aired one tire and it took me 20 minutes to get it up to 80 psi. Good compressor but just not enough horespower to fill up my fiver tires.
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordiesel250 View Post
I had bought one to use on my fiver but it took an eternity to air up the tires to the required psi. I took it back and bought the one that is 6 horsepower, the above compressor did not have enought horsepower to fill my tires up in a timely fashion. I aired one tire and it took me 20 minutes to get it up to 80 psi. Good compressor but just not enough horespower to fill up my fiver tires.
If you're referring to the Sears model pointed to further above, I can't image what the issue might be - mine airs up the tires on our Winnie MH to 90 PSI in nothing flat...

One thing I might point out, that for larger volume and higher PSI items like RV tires, don't use the compressor's built-in regulator - it will restrict flow and efficiency quite a bit - probably great on lower volume applications - but not tires, unless you want to spend the extra time to have it done "automatically".

On ours, I open the regulator to maximum PSI, and then apply pressure while frequently checking PSI with a handheld digital gauge - inflation speed is as good or better than any compressor I've used, and I *do* have a 5 HP, 5 gallon shop version to compare against.

And by the way, the built-in PSI regulator on my shop compressor works better when set for substantially higher PSI than the desired PSI for the tires as well - I wouldn't trust the regulator accuracy in the compressors for airing up RV tires anyway - so use of the more accurate digital gauge is no issue for me...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you sign up for the Craftsman club, online, you can gey a 10% discount. Bought one of these compressors last month.
Russ & Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Regarding this compressor, does the hose use standard fittings and could it be possible to change the hose from the coil type to a conventional straight type?
I think this is exactly what Iv been looking for.
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Regarding this compressor, does the hose use standard fittings and could it be possible to change the hose from the coil type to a conventional straight type?
I think this is exactly what Iv been looking for.
Thanks.
Yes, hose and fittings are standard, and can be changed as desired - I've used mine several times now - and LOVE it! It does a far better and faster job of inflating our MH tires up near 100 PSI than the larger 5-gallon 125 PSI shop compressor we also have...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #25

I put standard quick couplers on as well so I can use a coiled hose and chuck of my choosing. Compressor is great. I use it to maintain 125 psi in tires. I have to fill before cutoff to keep it running once pressure is above 115 psi in the tire, and it's a bit slow to get to 125, but it does. Also fills inner tubes for floating down rivers.
04Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the quick reply.
Looks like Im going shopping
Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
Maranatha,

Good points on why needed. Our experience with two different diesel pushers is that trying to fill the tires is a long and frustrating experience with the coach air.

First the coach air outlets are not is a very useful place, in the generator compartment on our coaches, and it takes a lot of air hose to reach the back tires - a lot. Second, the tanks are probably pressurized only to about 130 psi when fully topped off and stabilized. If used to fill a tire, that pressure drops quickly and then there is no differential pressure to force air into the tire. Frustratingly this pressure point is usually not low enough to trigger a restart of the coach air compressor, so you have to do something to dump air, like activate the brakes, to get to the point the air compressor restarts. Then, if you are lucky, you may have enough pressure to fill the tire before you have to do this all over again. Lastly, you are idling the engine all this time and with the 2007 emission standard engines, idling for a long time is a no, no. For me it is very simple to take this small, light compressor around to each tire and fill them if needed. Also with an output of almost 150 psi when running I have plenty of pressure to force air into the tire and quickly fill to required levels.

Our experience and preference is to have an electric compressor with us.

Lew
I agree with you to a point no one wan'ts to clog up there Diesel Paticulate Filter DPF Idleing the engine. You should be able to turn on your cruise "while idling in nuetral" and bump up the engine rpm using the acel button on the cruise to 1100 rpm this is a safe rpm and wont clog your DPF. I have no problem filling my tires from the onboard air and the process is quick as I am normally only a couple psi off from where I want to be.
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Firestone Air Tank, Firestone Air Suspension Air Tank System

great onboard system
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote