Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone,

Let's say you're trying to get your tire back to 95# and it's at 89# now. How long do you think it takes this Craftsman to fill it back to 95#? Just curious...
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently replaced my small 1.5 gal with the Craftsman. It certainly does have a higher psi rating although the reservoir is very small so that means it will cycle on and off much more if you using shorter burst of air such as bicycle tire etc.
But it works just fine.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
I recently replaced my small 1.5 gal with the Craftsman. It certainly does have a higher psi rating although the reservoir is very small so that means it will cycle on and off much more if you using shorter burst of air such as bicycle tire etc.
But it works just fine.
My Craftsman cycles between 125-150 PSI - which is FAR better than my larger wheeled 6-gallon compressor that cycles between 80-125 PSI, that larger compressor when trying to put 100 PSI into our dually MH tires gets to be a problem as tire pressure gets above 80 PSI, but well below 100 PSI.

This is because the valve stems in our MH are awkward and hard to get the inflator on properly, and often the compressor has reached cutoff PSI and shut down before I can actually get the air flowing into the tire.

Then, When PSI quickly drops below the 100 PSI I want, the only way to get the compressor to kick back in for the last 20 PSI or so, is to manually release air from the tank to a pressure lower than 80 PSI, and then try to quickly get the tire pressure where I want it before the compressor shuts off again, still at a pressure lower than what I want.

The smaller Craftsmen maintains cycling enough higher in PSI, that getting 100 PSI in my MH tires is no problem at all.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I just bought this air compressor at Harbor Freight. I used it to service my MH & trailer tires. I run 90PSI in the MH & 85PSI in the trailer. The compressor had no problem pumping up the tires. It connects on to the battery 12V & the coil hose & power cord are long enough to easily reach the front of the MH battery to the rear wheels of my 34 1/2' MH. For the price & small space it occupies I am happy with it.
12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor - Compressors - Air Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Anyone,

Let's say you're trying to get your tire back to 95# and it's at 89# now. How long do you think it takes this Craftsman to fill it back to 95#? Just curious...
I'm guessing but I would say less than a minute.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I'm guessing but I would say less than a minute.

Bob
YUP!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I just bought this air compressor at Harbor Freight. I used it to service my MH & trailer tires. I run 90PSI in the MH & 85PSI in the trailer. The compressor had no problem pumping up the tires. It connects on to the battery 12V & the coil hose & power cord are long enough to easily reach the front of the MH battery to the rear wheels of my 34 1/2' MH. For the price & small space it occupies I am happy with it.
12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor - Compressors - Air Tools
Looks like that pointer no longer works...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Thanks for the updated pointer.

I have used that type of 12 volt portable compressor in the past, still have a Coleman version that worked slowly but decently on trailer and auto tires at the 30 PSI range - but the 60 PSI needed for the 5er pretty well took all that compressor had, and required LOTS of time in the process - like 15 minutes or more to inflate a tire from 50 to 60 PSI. It was worthless for the MH's 100 PSI tires, even though it was advertised to be good for over 100 PSI.

That was why we bought the Craftsman unit after buying the MH - and extremely happy with it's price, size, weight, and capabilities.

I've had that Coleman apart several times to lube it, and the "compressor" section is actually little more than a cheap model airplane engine as to design and quality of materials - not the sort of thing I'd want to rely upon in a potential serious situation or location.

NO criticism intended on the unit you have, may well be a whole different animal - but would be curious as to how long it takes to inflate an RV tire from 80 to 90 PSI...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary-K7GLD, I inflated my tires last week with it after the MH had been parked for 3 months. The tire had lost anywhere from 5-10psi. Running 90psi, I didn't time it, but I would say about 2-3 minutes to bring them up to 90psi. The tire inflater threads onto the valve stem so you don't have to hold it in place.
I too am curious how long this compressor will last. I bought it on sale for $59.99 - 20% discount + a 2 year warranty for (I think) $10. Where I was I did not know the area very well to go shopping & comparing. I didn't like the choices Harbor Freight had for the small tank type compressors, so I thought I would give ths one a try. If it ever gives me any trouble I would post it here. So far so good. I will mention that it got fairly hot after airing up the Mh & utility trailer tires. But this was probably my fault. I did not realize there was a shut off switch on the compressor & I ran it constantly for 15-20 minutes.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are back on sale for 89.99. I just got one and picked it up. However I have to go back to the other store and exchange it. It was obviously retaped and repackaged and the box was in bad shape. I thought it would be ok but I opened it and it looks like they put it back in the box. Packing tape all crinkled and all over the place. I should have refused it. I figure at 95 bucks of my money I want one that wasn't beat up as much.There was a hole in the side of the box I missed also. I had the kid load it as I just had shoulder surgery and can't lift anything yet so I didn't even bother to check. Shame on sears for selling a product like this.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #40

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just bought a husky 3 gallon at home depot for $129.00 it goes up to 165psi quick, little heavy at 31lbs but small enough to put in the basement. Really like the large gauge and dial to set pressure.

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
I want to let you all know about a Craftsman air compressor I recently bought and am now carrying on the RV. I carried a Porter-Cable 135 psi unit before but it was heavy, 35 lbs, large footprint and was hard pressed to fill the higher pressure front tires. I just happened to see a small unit that had a 150 psi rating at Sears and it was on sale for $89. It is the "Craftsman 1.5 gal. 150 PSI Air Compressor"; it is relatively light weight, 25 lbs, and has a smaller footprint than the Porter-Cable so it is easier to stow. But better that than, the the output pressure can be adjusted to about 150 psi and it handily and quickly fills all my RV tires, 80, 85 and 110 in our case. I am very pleased with it.

Sears Item# 00915309000

Picture:

Attachment 3617

Lew
Lew,

I know this is an older post, but I would like to thank you for the information! I picked mine up for $73 (shipping included) and have used it already. In prep for winter storage I was able to add approx. 20lb. to all six tires in under 30 mins. The only suggestion I have to other users is to obtain a longer air wand. The air nipple sold with the unit is small and hard on the fingers when reaching the 90 - 100 PSI range! Other than that; an excellent unit! Thanks again for your suggestion.
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
I want to let you all know about a Craftsman air compressor I recently bought and am now carrying on the RV. I carried a Porter-Cable 135 psi unit before but it was heavy, 35 lbs, large footprint and was hard pressed to fill the higher pressure front tires. I just happened to see a small unit that had a 150 psi rating at Sears and it was on sale for $89. It is the "Craftsman 1.5 gal. 150 PSI Air Compressor"; it is relatively light weight, 25 lbs, and has a smaller footprint than the Porter-Cable so it is easier to stow. But better that than, the the output pressure can be adjusted to about 150 psi and it handily and quickly fills all my RV tires, 80, 85 and 110 in our case. I am very pleased with it.

Sears Item# 00915309000

Picture:

Attachment 3617

Lew
Have been searching the files for an air-compressor and found this one that seems to be a good one for inflating 22.5 tires up tp 110psi on my motor-home. I went to sears web site and found one similar but says it is not available in their stores. Any update on this or a similar compressor?
Thanks, Ron