Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have this same compressor. I have used it to air up my Coachman 19.5 tires with no problems to 90 psi, I also use it to air up my Toyota tires after I have been off roading. I have had this for about 2 years and it hasn't given me any trouble. I don't particularly like the air chuck on it because you must screw it on for it to work. I also don't trust the pressure gauge.
Update: I used this compressor on my new DP with tag axle & 22.5 tires. I set each tire to 120 psi. After filling 6 tires with apprx 10 psi each , it took about 5 minutes to fill each tire. This chuck does screw on so you don't have to hold it there for the time it takes to add 10 psi. However after filling 6 tires it overheated. It has an auto thermofuse that resets itself after 20 minutes of cool down. Since I was doing several other things at the time it didn't cause me a problem. But I would not want to rely on this compressor to do these tires at 120 psi every time I need to service my tires. I realize I may not need 120 psi in all of my tires , but until I get the MH weighed, this is what the manual & the dealer recommended. Getting it weighed is on my list of things to do.

In the mean time I have bought a 50' light weight hose and fittings to use the on board compressor. I am not sure if it will get me to 120 psi or not , the gauge on the dash board shows the pressure at 120 psi apprx. The air chuck I bought from Lowes will not work (junk). So once I get a new chuck , I will see.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #58

This compressor is on sale now online only for $ 99 and there is an extended 3 year warranty for only $ 15. I bought this today and Sears is offering free shipping. I heard that the accessories are a little cheap, but Sears has an full accessory set on sale for $ 20. I looked at the reviews on the Sears website and it got good marks.
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
I think Harbor Freight has a pancake 100 psi on sale for $59. Weight was like 23 lbs.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I think Harbor Freight has a pancake 100 psi on sale for $59. Weight was like 23 lbs.
Home Depot had 1 too ... problem is 100psi is insufficient for most tires. You need some margin to not just "swap air". 125psi works for nearly everybody.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Good to know!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #62

After my first trip over the Rockies, I decided to carry a 160 psi Porter Cable pancake compressor. I also carry a n air jack and an impact wrench. This set up has been a life saver. Now ten trips later, I'm a happy camper.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #63

I bought a Craftsman compressor on sale for $99 too. I returned it the next day. It would not pump up to 120psi according to the gauge on the compressor, my HD truck tire digital gauge, and my analog truck tire gauge. The best it would do is 113psi per the gauges. When I returned it the salesman said it is not designed for that application. I guess I'll return to using my 150psi, 12V compressor; it's slow but does the job.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Harbor Freight. Let me know how long it lasts. I've had 2 of em. They build disposable tools.

Want a good compressor that will inflate to over 125psi (meaning the compressor is rated for 150), is reliable, and is cost friendly?

It also fits in basement storage easily:

Amazon.com: BOSTITCH CAP1512-OF 1.2 Gallon Oil-Free High-Output Trim Compressor: Home Improvement
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Lew, I wonder how many of these Craftsman Air Compressors you are responsible for selling?
I ended up ordering one and we love it!!!
I did stop by Harbor Freight and purchased a Clip on Chuck for it so I can just clip it on my blow out for the Fresh Water. I had purchased one previously at Northern Tools for about $10. Harbor Freight was about $2. If anyone is looking for add on items. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Several years ago I bought a 120 V Coleman unit from Lowes. Does just fine and still going strong so I guess it's OK. My previous 275/70 Michelin front tires needed 120 psi and it did fine for them too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #67

I have this Sears compressor(1.5gal,150psi,red color) and am having a problem getting my rv tires up to 85-90psi with it. It seems to be operating normally, tank pressures up to 150 and the limiter will set to any pressure. I set the regulated pressure to 125 but it still won't get the tire(22.5") above about 75psi. It seems there's no air being forced into the tire for some reason. Am I doing something wrong or just not holding it on the tire valve stem long enough?
My tire chuck(2-way so I can do the dually tires) is not one I can lock on to the valve stem, so I have to hold it on the stem while airing up the tire. This gets old very quickly of course and I'm wondering if there's a tire chuck that locks onto the valve stem so I could put it on and let it run for however long it takes to air up the tire.
I know many of you have this compressor and like it, and I really don't want to buy another one if I can get this one to do the job. The tires are at about 70psi and raising them to 85-90psi wouldn't seem to be asking too much from this air compressor.
Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogjim View Post
I have this Sears compressor(1.5gal,150psi,red color) and am having a problem getting my rv tires up to 85-90psi with it. It seems to be operating normally, tank pressures up to 150 and the limiter will set to any pressure. I set the regulated pressure to 125 but it still won't get the tire(22.5") above about 75psi. It seems there's no air being forced into the tire for some reason. Am I doing something wrong or just not holding it on the tire valve stem long enough?
My tire chuck(2-way so I can do the dually tires) is not one I can lock on to the valve stem, so I have to hold it on the stem while airing up the tire. This gets old very quickly of course and I'm wondering if there's a tire chuck that locks onto the valve stem so I could put it on and let it run for however long it takes to air up the tire.
I know many of you have this compressor and like it, and I really don't want to buy another one if I can get this one to do the job. The tires are at about 70psi and raising them to 85-90psi wouldn't seem to be asking too much from this air compressor.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I have seen the tire chuck go bad & even though you think you are on the valve stem correctly it still won't put air in the tire. Check your hose for any damage also it could have blockage. One more suggestion, setting the pressure regualtor to 125 & wanting 120 may not get you there, I would set it up to 140-150. But I don't think this is your problem due to not inflating above 75. Have you tried to air up a tire on your toad? Just a quick check to see if your hose, chuck & regulator are working?

I know the clip on chucks are available but I don't where to get it.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogjim View Post

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I have seen the tire chuck go bad & even though you think you are on the valve stem correctly it still won't put air in the tire. Check your hose for any damage also it could have blockage. One more suggestion, setting the pressure regualtor to 125 & wanting 120 may not get you there, I would set it up to 140-150. But I don't think this is your problem due to not inflating above 75. Have you tried to air up a tire on your toad? Just a quick check to see if your hose, chuck & regulator are working?

I know the clip on chucks are available but I don't where to get it.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #70

Thanks, Dan, I think my compressor and chuck are operating correctly but I'll try it on my car to verify that. This compressor has worked fine for the several years I've had it and always was sufficient to top up my motorhome tires, so why it's now seemingly not working is a mystery.
I'll keep working with it to try and figure what the problem is.

Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote