Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Recommended Air Compressor to Carry on RV

I want to let you all know about a Craftsman air compressor I recently bought and am now carrying on the RV. I carried a Porter-Cable 135 psi unit before but it was heavy, 35 lbs, large footprint and was hard pressed to fill the higher pressure front tires. I just happened to see a small unit that had a 150 psi rating at Sears and it was on sale for $89. It is the "Craftsman 1.5 gal. 150 PSI Air Compressor"; it is relatively light weight, 25 lbs, and has a smaller footprint than the Porter-Cable so it is easier to stow. But better that than, the the output pressure can be adjusted to about 150 psi and it handily and quickly fills all my RV tires, 80, 85 and 110 in our case. I am very pleased with it.

Sears Item# 00915309000

Picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	00915309000.jpg
Views:	3696
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	3617

Lew
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
LewF......I've posted several times elsewhere about this compressor.....it's great. I've had an older version of it for three years. I timed it one day. It fills the 22.5 tires at about 1 pound every 13 seconds. The built-in gauge is fairly accurate and on mine the chuck clips on. I use an old car cover bag to store it in.

It also gives you the ability to check/air your tires anytime via your generator or campground power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Why buy extra compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
I want to let you all know about a Craftsman air compressor I recently bought and am now carrying on the RV. I carried a Porter-Cable 135 psi unit before but it was heavy, 35 lbs, large footprint and was hard pressed to fill the higher pressure front tires. I just happened to see a small unit that had a 150 psi rating at Sears and it was on sale for $89. It is the "Craftsman 1.5 gal. 150 PSI Air Compressor"; it is relatively light weight, 25 lbs, and has a smaller footprint than the Porter-Cable so it is easier to stow. But better that than, the the output pressure can be adjusted to about 150 psi and it handily and quickly fills all my RV tires, 80, 85 and 110 in our case. I am very pleased with it.

Sears Item# 00915309000

Picture:

Attachment 3617

Lew
Hi,
Why do you need to buy an extra bulky compressor yet a diesel m/h has its own compressor and giving us a very clean air for our tires. Just buy a pistol type air chuck/filler ($14.00) to charge your tire and you will be amazed how fast our onboard compressor fill the six rv tires in no time at all even up to 125psi.Thanks.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I agree. We've carried this compressor for 4 years now. Does everything we want it to, is easy to carry & stores compactly. For those of us without diesel coaches, this little compressor fits the bill.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been looking for a small compressor to carry onboard,,, this looks like it will fill the bill! I'll have one by the end of the day! It's a Craftsman it has to be good!
Often wondered what I'd do if I needed air, other than stopping at a truck stop!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Have had this compressor for 4 years, works great and a small footprint.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Maranatha,

Good points on why needed. Our experience with two different diesel pushers is that trying to fill the tires is a long and frustrating experience with the coach air.

First the coach air outlets are not is a very useful place, in the generator compartment on our coaches, and it takes a lot of air hose to reach the back tires - a lot. Second, the tanks are probably pressurized only to about 130 psi when fully topped off and stabilized. If used to fill a tire, that pressure drops quickly and then there is no differential pressure to force air into the tire. Frustratingly this pressure point is usually not low enough to trigger a restart of the coach air compressor, so you have to do something to dump air, like activate the brakes, to get to the point the air compressor restarts. Then, if you are lucky, you may have enough pressure to fill the tire before you have to do this all over again. Lastly, you are idling the engine all this time and with the 2007 emission standard engines, idling for a long time is a no, no. For me it is very simple to take this small, light compressor around to each tire and fill them if needed. Also with an output of almost 150 psi when running I have plenty of pressure to force air into the tire and quickly fill to required levels.

Our experience and preference is to have an electric compressor with us.

Lew
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Picked up my Craftsman compressor tonight,,, Looks good, works good, I'm impressed. I'm sure it's going to fit the bill!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Sears Item# 00915309000

Picture:

Attachment 3617

Lew
Lew,

Thanks for the tip. Picked one up on sale Saturday. I put an air chuck on the output of the compressor so I can use the same hose we already had for the coach air system. Also allows me to use air tools, etc. with the compressor. I had a spare 1/2 inch an 3/8 inch air wrench that I moved to the motorhome. This little compressor worked better than I expected and is a bargin at that price.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Hi,
Why do you need to buy an extra bulky compressor yet a diesel m/h has its own compressor and giving us a very clean air for our tires. Just buy a pistol type air chuck/filler ($14.00) to charge your tire and you will be amazed how fast our onboard compressor fill the six rv tires in no time at all even up to 125psi.Thanks.
I can't seem to get more than 90lbs out of my onboard air. How do you get 125lbs??
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
jeepsrule

It looks like something is wrong with your air system regulation. I don't know much about how that is done but I know that the air compressor is driven by the engine and turned on and off by some sort of regulating system. On our two DP coaches, with Cummins engines, the compressor came on at about 95 lbs and shut off at about 125 to 130 lbs. This is the pressure read at the front and rear air tanks. If that is not happening with your coach then it seems like something is wrong with your regulating system. I would have it checked by a tech at an RV center or I would think any truck service center as well since all trucks with air brakes have to have similar systems.

Hope this helps - it our experience with the rigs we have owned.

Lew
Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #12

Assuming your compressor is at normal condition, you can get the compressor's max psi output into your tire using the pistol type air chuck that i've mentioned bought from walmart. This pistol type charger has a release botton to maintain your compressor running before reaching the cut-off psi. Believe me it works and if not just return the pistol to walmart. Email me anymore concern and i'm willing to help.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Assuming your compressor is at normal condition, you can get the compressor's max psi output into your tire using the pistol type air chuck that i've mentioned bought from walmart. This pistol type charger has a release botton to maintain your compressor running before reaching the cut-off psi. Believe me it works and if not just return the pistol to walmart. Email me anymore concern and i'm willing to help.
I'll try the pistol air chuck. Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
jeepsrule

It looks like something is wrong with your air system regulation. I don't know much about how that is done but I know that the air compressor is driven by the engine and turned on and off by some sort of regulating system. On our two DP coaches, with Cummins engines, the compressor came on at about 95 lbs and shut off at about 125 to 130 lbs. This is the pressure read at the front and rear air tanks. If that is not happening with your coach then it seems like something is wrong with your regulating system. I would have it checked by a tech at an RV center or I would think any truck service center as well since all trucks with air brakes have to have similar systems.

Hope this helps - it our experience with the rigs we have owned.

Lew
Lew, the coach keeps good air pressure levels. I just can't seem to get it to the tires.