Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Refillable 1lb canisters

We have been using 1lbs Coleman propane canisters since we started to RV for the stove and barbecue due to their convenience. A few years back we bought an adapter to refill the canisters from our 20lbs tank that we carry onboard. Up till this year we have been happy with that but this summer when I went to refill our 1lbs canisters we had a couple that leaked out propane and wouldn't stop. I am not sure if they are just too old or if it is time to buy the correct set up.

I have been looking into the Flame King refillable tanks and refill kit. I know these are built and rated to be refilled as the Colemans are not. Any one use this set up? If so, have you had any problems with them leaking? My other thought was just to buy a new set of Coleman canisters every couple of years and do as I am doing.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would suspect they are only good for so many uses then the seal fails. By another set to refill or if you do buy the Flame Kit one let us know how it works.

Safe travels

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

The 1 lb bottles were never intended to be refilled......throw aways/consumables

BUT the aftermarket saw a needed and viola....adapter to fill using a 20 LB cyclinder

BUT.......not being intended to be refilled they eventually LEAK
Nature of the beast.
Refill and if one leaks......toss it
Buy new and continue

OR
Use that 20 lb cyclinder you are already carrying to supply stove/bbq
They ARE intended to be refilled
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
. . . when I went to refill our 1lbs canisters we had a couple that leaked out propane and wouldn't stop. I am not sure if they are just too old or if it is time to buy the correct set up.
This may or may not be directly related, but how do you know when a 1 lb tank is full? If it's filled to the very top and it warms up even just a little, it will overpressurize and presumably leak out the relief valve, which may be what you're experiencing.

Or not. That's why I'm asking, plus I'm curious as to how you know when to stop, unless you're also weighing them.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

Those 1# cans are not designed to be refilled. I believe in some places it may be illegal to refil them. I use the adaptor and a 20# bottle that I exchange for a new one when empty. I carry two 20# bottles so that I will never run out. I also carry two of the 1# cans as a backup.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

I'm using the Flame King refillable containers for a Heat Buddy ceramic heater. They work great and haven't leaked yet. Using the refillable containers eliminates the need for a filter to clean out the particles picked up in the rubber hose for a 20 lb tank to the heater.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

This is a very timely thread for me. I have been shopping for a suitable refilling set up to refill my 1# propane canisters. Now I am having second thoughts. I have bought several 1# canisters, emptied them and have saved them with the intent I would refill them someday. However some have said the tanks I have are not safe to refill as they will leak after a number of refills.
I carry my 1# tanks in the same compartment as my Coleman Road Trip grill. My concern now is if one of the 1# canisters developed a leak propane would fill the compartment. This leads me to believe I could be driving a bomb around.
There is no ignition source in that compartment but what would happen if two canisters banged together and caused a spark.
I have bought several 1# containers on sale at a local hardware store with their name branded on the canisters for $4.99 for 2 containers. I also have 20# propane tanks and a hose to hook the tanks to the grill. This is the set up I normally use. My son often goes with us with his camper and carries the 20# tank in his pick up. I simply don't have room in my MH compartments to carry a 20# tank and I refuse to carry it inside the coach.
I'll have to do the math and see if it's more economical to buy refillable tanks and the equipment to refill them or keep buying the 1# tanks when they go on sale.
Lynn
Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #8

I weigh mine when filling, did overfill 2 last time, i just put them on the grill and cooked something switching the tank after 10 minutes.
I was going to pick up one of the 11lb propane tanks, easy to carry.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I was going to pick up one of the 11lb propane tanks, easy to carry.
My boat has a couple of 4.25 lb tanks, which is about 1 gallon at 80% full. Super easy to carry and made to be refilled, and they have the OPD. They can be refilled at any LP fueling place, which is what I do as I don't have a refill kit. But they cost more than a 20 lb tank, unfortunately.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
This may or may not be directly related, but how do you know when a 1 lb tank is full? If it's filled to the very top and it warms up even just a little, it will overpressurize and presumably leak out the relief valve, which may be what you're experiencing.

Or not. That's why I'm asking, plus I'm curious as to how you know when to stop, unless you're also weighing them.
Before I would just fill until the flow would slow or stop. Going forward I will start weighing the canisters and the Flame King has a screw like the big tanks to know when filled or I would think I could bleed off excessive pressure to be safe. This is the video I watched earlier and feel more confident about using this system.

https://vimeo.com/81833387
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
. . . or I would think I could bleed off excessive pressure to be safe.
Use the bleeder. And do be aware that the pressure will depend only on the temperature (at equilibrium), as long as there is vapor space above the liquid. When the temperature goes up, the liquid expands and some of the vapor will condense back to liquid, and the overall resting pressure will stabilize at a higher value than before the temperature increased. There are published tables of propane pressure over a range of temperature. Tanks are typically rated 240 psi operating pressure, or something in that neighborhood, but can have a higher rating (300 psi I think). At 100 deg. F, it's approaching 185 psi, if memory serves.

But if the tank is full to the top, the expanding liquid has nowhere to go, and the pressure will shoot up and start venting liquid out the relief valve. Liquid propane expands 17 times faster than water with temperature increase, and will evaporate to something like 270 times it's original volume in a big hurry when vented, and get really cold in the process. That's why the 80% fill rule exists - to give that liquid somewhere to go as it warms.

So venting off excess pressure really doesn't do anything unless it's already hydrolocked. But venting off excess volume certainly is the prudent thing to do, especially if you're going to store them rather than use it right away.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #12

We use a 1 gal/5lbs refillable tank. Have a 1lbs just in case the the large tank runs out. Whenever we have the onboard 27lbs tank filled, they fill the small tank. We grill quite a bit and only once did we use the 1lbs. We place the 5lbs tank in a 3 gallon plastic bucket and wrap hose on top to travel well.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #13

I've had new 1lbs tank lead after being disconnected a few times.

Which is why my 1lb tanks have these.

https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-Propane.../dp/B075WZSN7T