Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Roof coating.

1996 Monaco Dynasty.
I need to coat the roof and stop the leaking. NO major leak spots, just lots of small cracks. Been looking at 5-Gal. Sta-Kool 780 Cool Roof Elastomeric Coating. I need help to find the RIGHT PRODUCT, from someone who has been there and done that......
mlhusmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is that an EPDM roof?
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:54 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is EPDM I used this product last year and it worked great - Beware there is a lot of prep time!
Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings

Jim
Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Not sure what EPDM stands for. I have a fiberglass roof on the 1996 Monaco 40' Dynasty.
mlhusmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been considering doing the same thing on our roof for quite a while now. I have been told that the Sta-Kool product is good, available at Home Depot, quite reasonable in price.

I have lately been considering Henry's roof coating, also available from Home Depot, also quite reasonable in price. It has titanium in it, with claims of increased strength and longevity.

Another thing that interests me in using Henry's is that it's a recognized, respected brand. Sta-Kool, as I understand it, is a Home Depot in house brand name. Who makes the product? Who knows. Exactly what's in the product? Who knows.

I know this doesn't answer your questions, but these are thoughts I've been having, and they relate to your situation.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EPDM does not primer on rubber or fiberglass roofs. No special rubber roof washing chemicals required prior to or after application. It is DIY and only one coat is applied. It is not water base. It does not chalk. It is ozone and UV resistant. It is Alkali and acid resistant. It has long term flexablility with resistance to freezing. It is proven and being used my major corporations and businesses.
Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings

Application procedure: http://www.epdmcoatings.com/document...iquid-roof.pdf

I put it on my RV earlier this year. I have a 3mill thick rubber blanket covering and sealing my roof. Love it!
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm curious about the benefit of using this product on an all figerglass roof.

It is my understanding that the fiberglass roofs like Monaco uses generally do not develop leaks except around existing penetrations such as roof vents, TV antennas, screw penetrations etc. and along the awning rail where screws pop or loosen, or where the front and rear caps meet the roof. In other words, the fiberglass itself does not develop leaks.

If this is correct, why then would it be advantageous to coat the entire roof vs resealing the penetrations and other areas that typically leak? Perhaps the benefit is no chalking?

I am not trying to be critical here of anyone's decision to do so, I am just trying to understand the picture better.

Thanks

Roy
Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #8

These roll or brush on products vary quite a bit in quality and life span. I would use the Dicor two step process or more likely go for the RV Armour system. They will come to your location and it is a 2 day process. Are you planning to keep your rig long enough to justify the cost?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
I'm curious about the benefit of using this product on an all figerglass roof.

It is my understanding that the fiberglass roofs like Monaco uses generally do not develop leaks except around existing penetrations such as roof vents, TV antennas, screw penetrations etc. and along the awning rail where screws pop or loosen, or where the front and rear caps meet the roof. In other words, the fiberglass itself does not develop leaks.

If this is correct, why then would it be advantageous to coat the entire roof vs resealing the penetrations and other areas that typically leak? Perhaps the benefit is no chalking?

I am not trying to be critical here of anyone's decision to do so, I am just trying to understand the picture better.

Thanks

Roy
Well, I guess it's mostly an issue of age.

My coach's roof is 20 years old. About five years ago, I started to notice cracks in the roof. I sealed them with an acrylic elastomeric sealant. Worked great.

But, every year, when I crawl up onto that roof, there are more cracks.

Now, the fiberglass gel is beginning to disintegrate, and a white powder is drifting down onto my sidewalls.

I have been cleaning and waxing the roof, using Mop 'n Glow and Mcquires wax on the roof.

It seems that the fiberglass gel coat has reached the end of its life cycle.

I have now purchased some elastomeric product supplied by Henry. It has a ten year warranty, so that might carry my coach to it's 30th birthday.

In the next month or so, I plan to put a coating of this product on the roof of my coach.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just did my 34' EPDM roof with liquid rubber. I had some rips so I used this tape to tape over the small rips and around the vents..etc... I cut the tape to fit and painted the primer and liquid rubber over it---> here -------> Eternabond RoofSeal Black 3" x 50' - Roof Flashing - Amazon.com

I used this primer---> here ----> F1501 2 ProFlex Primer 2 Gallon Kit | eBay

I used the product called "Liquid Rubber" I got the 5 gallon can ---- here ----> Liquid Rubber Smooth Sealant - Flexible Coloured Coating – Liquid Rubber Online Store

I put it on with paint rollers (1 coat of primer and 3 coats of Liquid Rubber) waiting 24hrs between each coat. I have about 1/2 gallon of liquid rubber left over but keep in mind that my RV is an old school 1990 and it has no slides. However, if you have a fiberglass roof I wouldn't do this.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim for the explanation.
Wow, I guess I never thought the fiberglass would deteriorate that badly. This is definitely something to think about as our coach ages. Makes me doubly glad we put up a sunshade for it this year.

Regards,

Roy
Old 07-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rofs

I have ? a TPO roof. They tell me it's PVC? I've cleaned it but can't seem to find a sealer like on EPDM. Camping world say EPDM sealer can be used? What say ye?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

I realize this thread is a few years old now, but I am wondering how the coatings you all used have held up. I am about to coat the aluminum roof of my 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter; it's a lot of prep work and I really only want to do this once.

I am really considering the Liquid Roof EPDM coating; it's pricey, but if it holds up, then it's worth it.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I realize this thread is a few years old now, but I am wondering how the coatings you all used have held up. I am about to coat the aluminum roof of my 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter; it's a lot of prep work and I really only want to do this once.

I am really considering the Liquid Roof EPDM coating; it's pricey, but if it holds up, then it's worth it.
3 years in the hot CA sun and it's still good, it doesn't look like it has thinned out much.

Tags
roof