Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

RV Awning Travel Lock

I saw this product & understand the theory behind it but has anyone bought & used it? I have looked all over for reviews & videos about this item but seems the owner has a review.
Let me & others know your thoughts of this item.
Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!

Thanks Mike
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I added one this past spring. I never really worried about it as our awning had the metal cover. Then I read about Dav L losing his awning and got me worried and searches found others with the metal covering coming open..
Pretty simple install and the awning cannot un-roll with the lock engaged.
For $40 it was cheap insurance.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

My fairly new Dometic toppers came with whats called, Anti Billowing Device...simple to install......will also fit on my main awning
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Back in 2007 had a 'neighbor' show me a simple easy FREE trick to lock awning roller using the awning rod.

On right side is the 'locking pawl' that is suppose to keep it from unfurling when retracted etc
But nothing on left side

Then is a 'slot' in end cap that the curved end of awning rod will fit into
Stick it into slot then place awnign rod down backside of awning arm ah=nd use a velco strap/bungee cord etc to hold it behind the arm

IF the locking pawl should fail the awning rod will keep the roller tube fixed and material can not unfurl

Simple/easy and CHEAP.

That was 11 yrs ago and have been using awning rod as 'backup' locking device ever since.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Back in 2007 had a 'neighbor' show me a simple easy FREE trick to lock awning roller using the awning rod.

On right side is the 'locking pawl' that is suppose to keep it from unfurling when retracted etc
But nothing on left side

Then is a 'slot' in end cap that the curved end of awning rod will fit into
Stick it into slot then place awnign rod down backside of awning arm ah=nd use a velco strap/bungee cord etc to hold it behind the arm

IF the locking pawl should fail the awning rod will keep the roller tube fixed and material can not unfurl

Simple/easy and CHEAP.

That was 11 yrs ago and have been using awning rod as 'backup' locking device ever since.
Can you post pictures of your setup?
Thanks Mike
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #6

Don't have a picture.......

But if you try it you should be able to figure it out.
Hook end of rod into roller cap slot
Then rod hangs straight down behind awning arm....velco strap in place
(or bungee cord, tie-wrap, piece of rope, tape)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #7

I had an Awning Lock on a previous rig and it worked fine as long as the pin and hole lined up. Sometimes the awning would wind up a little tighter or looser.

Now I use a variant of Old-Biscuit's method. I got a stainless steel rod and bent one end to a 90-degree angle providing around six inches of rod to stick into the track slot. The other end of the rod is alongside the awning arm. I bind that tightly to the arm using two plastic zip ties.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I had an Awning Lock on a previous rig and it worked fine as long as the pin and hole lined up. Sometimes the awning would wind up a little tighter or looser.
Years ago i saw a motorhome on the side of the road with their awning deployed and thought he must have forgot to do something. Thankfull he was traveling in the far right lane on I-95 and it didn't deploy into other vehicles. OMG what a mess it made to the side of his rig. Took us about 2hrs to remove all the twisted up awning so he could get on his way. I then saw a post on here about "my awning came out going down the road", scary, it can happen. I got a travel awning lock from THIS company. Only $40 and it took maybe a 1/2 hr to install. I did have to put 2 additional holes in the roller tube end to account for different ways it rolls up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	220697  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

I use this exact same Awning Lock on our current RV with an power awning.
I also installed one on our previous RV after an experience of an unexpected unfurling at 60 mph.
The installation takes about 30 minute and quite easily done.
You may need to drill a larger sized hole, or possible 2 holes, but at the end of the day, this lock provides excellent insurance against it unfurling.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had one on my awning since 2012 and never had a problem. I consider it cheap insurance. You can drill a second hole for the lock to engage the pin. I needed to after changing my awning fabric. It's about 1” from the first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure this lock would work great. i made one some time back that does the same thing, for a lot less money. Below is a link to the thread. After that i found some 12" nylon straps at Wal-Mart that work much better for securing the rod.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/modif...ck-221433.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-3...Wraps/16351007
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, travel