RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #1

Question RV Covers - Yes or No?

Just took possession of our Brand New 2020 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Houston. What a beautiful unit.

Here is my question, I asked the dealer about getting a cover for the unit, since it is stored outside here in Moorpark, Calif. He said I SHOULD NOT! He explained the cover moving around in the wind would harm the finish on the RV. He might be correct, but I’d really like to keep it covered to keep it clean, and protected from the elements.

Thoughts?

Sgt Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 01:05 AM   #2

never had a cover but have heard from a lot of folks who had one...key word there is ‘had’. two problems seem to come up...
- your dealer is right. the cover will scratch your RV.
- high winds may shred your cover

plus they look like a PITA to put on and take off. i’d look for inside storage or if you have the space at home think about a covered carport.

we store outside and uncovered in northern illinois. when she gets dirty i wash her.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
And storage is a pain...and i have heard that many only last a season or two.

I had bought one and then returned it after reading horror stories about the cover ripping roof material....
Old 11-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

I'm told Camping World offers an extended warranty on Covers. A friend gets the extended warranty and when the wind tears up his cover, he gets a new one from CW. Said he has been doing this for several years. Claims he has bought one and the rest were free.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

I have not had luck covering too many things unless they are stored inside, out of the wind. A flapping tarp cover can cause more damage to the finish than if it didn't have one. Inside, the only real function they have is to keep dust off. Inside storage is the best way to protect your investment. No chance of leaks, and no fading due to sun. Its not the cheapest way, but resale value on a camper that has been kept inside when not in use is higher. If you happen to get a leak when it is unattended for months, it could cost a lot more than the storage bill. I wonder if any insurance companies give a discount if you have inside storage? It might be worth a call. The higher resale value, and possible discount could make the difference. Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 AM   #6

Our 5th.wheel is kept at home but is parked in a north to south position. We had to go with a cover because the sun was really doing a number on it. Building a storage building is out of the question for now. We live in NW Nevada and get some strong winds with just about every storm that moves through here, makes it hard on a cover. We went with a KingBird cover and added two extra straps that go all the way around the trailer for a total of 4, it also has 6 more that go under and halfway up both sides. There is no billowing or ballooning in strong winds and it's holding well but it's only been on for 5 months. Plan to take it off in April. One thing I will say is it was a pain to put it on, takes two people. It is about two feet longer than it needs to be, lesson learned for us.
Bill
Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #7

We tried several covers, and the best we tried lasted less than 18 months - the sun would make them easy to tear, or make the lining come off in large sections. The wind creates scuffs on the RV finish that can be erased with rubbing compound, but it is a lot of work.

I never found a way to take the cover on or off without getting up on the top of the RV and walking - stumbling around, dragging the cover, watching that it does not snag on vents or ACs, and hoping that some irate mockingbird does not dive bomb me and cause a very serious fall. I tore every cover several times when it caught on a sharp edge.

We were able to build an enclose attached to a side of a building for about the cost of a cover. We used the sun fabric tarps from Harbor Freight - easy to get. So far, three years and still in good condition.

I look at our adventure with covers as a long, dumb, expensive mistake.

Matt B
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waste of money..... It will scrape up your paint unless you can store it inside and then it does nothing...
Old 12-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I store outside in Utah on my RV pad. Covering the RV will damage the paint, my rig is proof. Also, once snowed upon, the cover is there until the spring thaw, unacceptable. When it get dirty, I wash it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I for one have one, i really like my classic cover and its the third one I have purchased (as I have had 3 trailers). I haven't had one tear and they have a 3 year warranty. they are sold on amazon, but arent cheap.

I make sure mine is snug so it doesn't move around and thus doesn't damage the outside. I also make sure to buy the smallest one that will fit.

Mine does a good job of keeping pine needles (trailer sits under a Doug fir) and the sun off of it over the winter (we do get sun in Oregon).
Old 12-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Covers are a love/hate relationship. We had an ADCO cover on our prior coach for 3 years before we built our RV port. It did a good job of keeping it clean (of course we washed/waxed before putting on), keeping UV rays & weather off. You can see pictures of ours after the 1st year, in my photo albums (linked in my signature).

They are fairly easy to deploy - just don't do it on a day if there's any breeze or you'll go flying off your RV roof with the cover as a parachute. You have to carefully pad ANY projection/sharp edge or you'll get a hole in them right quick. They are bulky to store because you'll never get it folded up as small as it was when you first got it in the box.

If you are going to store for a long period (months), I'd say a cover is better than no cover for protecting your RV investment. You just have to weigh the pros & cons of having one.

Lori-

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover