Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Rv gps apps for cell phones

Is there a RV GPS app for both I-Phones & Android devices? We bought Good Sam Rand-McNally Gps. When it works it’s great, but that is seldom. Gets confused, won’t recalculate route, always wants you to turn around & go back. Use Google maps & Maps on phone, which we can link directly to vehicle Radio/Media displays in MH & Jeep. But doesn’t give the needed RV info like Wt, ht, length - low bridges - posted speed & U’re speed. Our RV gps does all this when it works. Has anyone found cell phone app for RV’s?
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Co-Pilot is one that gets some good reviews, especially the kinda expensive RV version. You can download maps, so it will work with those downloaded maps if you do not have cell service along the way. I have it on my iPhone 8, but since we use a Garmin RV760 GPS I have not really used the Co-Pilot app much.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
CoPilot for RVs is effective but nothing to brag about. See posts 10 and 14 in this this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rand...ps-389986.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

The RV version of Copilot for Android looks to be a dead product. They have not updated the software in over 2 years. There is a new app that is intended for trucks but has all the settings necessary to enter parameters for your RV. That app is called NavMeTo.

Otherwise, there's not much out there worth talking about in my opinion. The best solution right now I believe is the new TomTom Trucker 620 Wi-Fi but that is a dedicated device and not an app as you requested
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
GPS for RV

You could try Sygic. I am running the Car version on a Samsung tablet with internal GPS. Works good for single day trip. Pain to program in a week like we could do with DeLorme Street Atlas.
Sygic has a RV and Truck version but it is a little pricey. I believe they use Tom Tom maps. All maps are downloadable and I have all of US and Canada without running out of memory. You can try the car version for free to see if you like it.
Both Iphone and Android works pretty good, but I am not impressed with the Windows version.

I sure miss the old Street Atlas.

Nalle
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

I still use DeLORME Street Atlas. Sure wish the would update it to include newest roads and services. The software works well. Just a data update would be great.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Co-Pilot RV just updated today. Have used the auto version for years and it has worked wonderfully. Have used the older version of RV app with no problems.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just get a Garmin RV GPS and you have a reasonable " RV" GPS with the associated data bases for camping, fuel and routing plus you can personalize for your own interests, POP files. No GPS is perfect but no phone version is set "for" RV's.

LEN
Old 06-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mind that most states are now passing hands free laws. That's going to make it hard to use the IPhones for nav.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Keep in mind that most states are now passing hands free laws. That's going to make it hard to use the IPhones for nav.
There are many dash mounts for phones. I assume most who use their phone for navigation have the phone in a dash mount.

I use my 12.9" iPad for navigation in the toad, it snaps into a RAM mount. In the RV I use the RM RVND 7720 again with a dash mount.

Hands free should not create any issue.

Kind of sad we have to create laws because too many are short on common sense. Just hang up and drive what can be so important that you to call, text or surf while driving????????
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Just get a Garmin RV GPS and you have a reasonable " RV" GPS with the associated data bases for camping, fuel and routing plus you can personalize for your own interests, POP files. No GPS is perfect but no phone version is set "for" RV's.

LEN
There's many phone apps that are specific to oversized vehicles. Sygic, CoPilot and MapFactor Navigator are three options.

Sent from my SM-N950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
There are many dash mounts for phones. I assume most who use their phone for navigation have the phone in a dash mount.

I use my 12.9" iPad for navigation in the toad, it snaps into a RAM mount. In the RV I use the RM RVND 7720 again with a dash mount.

Hands free should not create any issue.

Kind of sad we have to create laws because too many are short on common sense. Just hang up and drive what can be so important that you to call, text or surf while driving????????
try riding a motorcycle anywhere near a metro area..drivers focused on their cell phones are all over the place. they need to know what billy said to suzy at the mall but dont care if they run over someone or coast thru a red light..as for gps or using my phone for guidance, I prefer the nice big screen of the built-in nav. in my truck. works all the time and does not need cell service
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Is there a RV GPS app for both I-Phones & Android devices? We bought Good Sam Rand-McNally Gps. When it works it’s great, but that is seldom. Gets confused, won’t recalculate route, always wants you to turn around & go back. Use Google maps & Maps on phone, which we can link directly to vehicle Radio/Media displays in MH & Jeep. But doesn’t give the needed RV info like Wt, ht, length - low bridges - posted speed & U’re speed. Our RV gps does all this when it works. Has anyone found cell phone app for RV’s?
Consider trying Sygic Trucker or Caravan. I'll be getting the Sygic Trucker app with a android tablet next yr when we go full timing next yr. Don't need to be connected to work either.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
GPS maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Consider trying Sygic Trucker or Caravan. I'll be getting the Sygic Trucker app with a android tablet next yr when we go full timing next yr. Don't need to be connected to work either.
That's the way to go. I have been using basic Sygic for a couple of years now. Most or all Samsung Tablets have a built in GPS receiver. I have downloaded all of US and Canada maps. Always works. Phone signal or not. Only problem I have had is loading all the maps on a Micro SD card. Sygic has a tendency to crash with the maps on the SD card. Runs good if maps are in system memory.

Nalle
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps