Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
I watched that video a few months ago.
I will stay with holding tanks.
This one about a cassette toilet is really funny

rocketslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketslc View Post
This one about a cassette toilet is really funny

Oh wow! I am thankful that someone else can be the guinea pig on these things and save us from that!!!!!

Okay, so it looks like, at least for me, after all I have read on this thread, regular RV toilets win......
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your comments. Everything everyone had to say was very helpful. I did have one other sort of related but not toilet question"

Do you always turn on the RV water pump and turn it off after every thing you need water for, like running the sink, and flushing the toilet? Or are some RV's different from each other and you don't have to turn it on and off with every time you use it? Seems like it would get old having to remember to do that. But, I saw someone on a Youtube video in an Airstream say that's how it works, and I was wondering if that is true for all RV's?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #18

I added a pressure accumulator tank to my coach (installed T'eed into the cold water line under the bathroom sink) like this one https://smile.amazon.com/Accumulator.../dp/B00IRFW38W

It holds about 2 gallons of water, this lets me wash my hands and even flush the toilet a time or two after I have turned off the water pump switch. On my coach it will slowly leak down pressure through the water pump check valve after a couple of days. It also quietens down the water pump and smooths out the water flow which are additional benefits.

Some people just leave their water pump turned on while dry camping, though this does draw a little battery power, and runs the risk of a dripping faucet emptying the fresh water tank and worse yet potentially overflowing the gray or black tank.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I added a pressure accumulator tank to my coach (installed T'eed into the cold water line under the bathroom sink) like this one https://smile.amazon.com/Accumulator.../dp/B00IRFW38W

It holds about 2 gallons of water, this lets me wash my hands and even flush the toilet a time or two after I have turned off the water pump switch. On my coach it will slowly leak down pressure through the water pump check valve after a couple of days. It also quietens down the water pump and smooths out the water flow which are additional benefits.

Some people just leave their water pump turned on while dry camping, though this does draw a little battery power, and runs the risk of a dripping faucet emptying the fresh water tank and worse yet potentially overflowing the gray or black tank.
That's really good to know.....noted! Sounds like a must have item.

So, if you are on regular hookups, is it fine to leave the water pump turned on the whole time, and experience no negative repercussions? Or is it a necessary evil to turn on and off the water pump whether dry camping or on full hookups?

I want to make sure I understand this completely .....Thanks again for your comments!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #20

If you have full hookups you generally don't need to use a water pump or your onboard fresh water tank, you get water directly from the hose. Though again it can be a good idea to turn off the water when you leave your site as you are in a situation with unlimited incoming water, and limited waste water storage, think leaking toilet inlet valve that could cause the toilet bowl to overflow...
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
If you have full hookups you generally don't need to use a water pump or your onboard fresh water tank, you get water directly from the hose. Though again it can be a good idea to turn off the water when you leave your site as you are in a situation with unlimited incoming water, and limited waste water storage, think leaking toilet inlet valve that could cause the toilet bowl to overflow...
After a very expensive lesson ...I NEVER leave the "shore hose" hooked up, Hooked up Just long enough to fill the fresh tank then disconnect and store. Run off the 12v pump and fresh tank..NO Exceptions..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Good advice, and thank you again for explaining. Makes sense!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #23

toilet

https://www.wabtec.com/products/1415...eatment-system

When I worked on Locomotives this is one of the toilet systems that was used. If I were to choose a toilet system this is the one.
Davidtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #24

Hello,
Been rving since 2001 and full time for the last 11 years. I have no reason to use anything but the normal RV toilet. After dumping I put in deodorizer and never had a problem with smell. Use Lots of water with each flush.
If using the water tank I turn off the pump at night just so I don't hear it if it wants to equalize.
If on city hookups there is no reason to keep the pump on.

I'm sure someone will come up with some exception to everything I have said but this works for us.

Now go have fun.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
After a very expensive lesson ...I NEVER leave the "shore hose" hooked up, Hooked up Just long enough to fill the fresh tank then disconnect and store. Run off the 12v pump and fresh tank..NO Exceptions..
This is typically what we do. It allows us to turn it off easily when leaving the rig unattended and my pump pressure is generally better than city water regulated pressure anyway. I always have water in the fresh tank.

You can run them both at once but when the pump is on the city water check valve is closed so you have to have enough water in the tank to do whatever it is you are doing.

As far as the smells go I have more issues with grey tank smells than black. My tank vents were strategically located really close to and behind the bathroom vent. This blocks proper airflow. I am changing out the style of vent cap and hope this will fix it. I rarely have an issue and when I do I can use some grey tank deodorizer to fix it. I never have black tank smells and never use anything but plenty of water in there.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet