RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up RV Windshield Cleaning Tool

I'm somewhat of a fanatic about having a clean windshield to look through. Cleaning the inside of a class "A" windshield can be a pain, especially when you have a bad back like I do.

I was at Bed Bath & Beyond with the DW the other day, and was looking over their "As Seen on TV" gadgets, when I came across an item called "Windshield Wonder" . It's bascially a plastic arm with a microfiber pad attached. I thought, Hmm, this might make cleaning the inside of the windshield a little less trying.

I'm happy to report that it works pretty well. No more climbing up on the dash on my knees, trying to access all corners of the glass. The plastic arm helps reach those areas while standing.

One thing though, forget the little spray bottle they give you with the kit. It's fine mist is useless. Use a regular spray bottle filled with water. Just don't spray too much water, as it will saturate the pad.

I paid $10 for it at BB&B. One could probably make a similar tool themselves for less, but I'm not that talented...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i got one of those for a gag gift at Christmas. Now I can put it to use.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They have them at Walmart also. I have been happy with mine.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Craig,
You are supposed to spray the pad, not the windshield!!

I spray the windshield also. I guess they didn't figure that we would be cleaning such a large area. Of course my best cleaning method is for the DW to spray with Windex and use paper towels (DW does this, not me)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before they came out with those I got a "Swifter" and instead of a Swifter pad put a microfiber cloth on it.. I used to tow a Lumina APV (AKA dustbuster) and getting most of that giant windshield was.. Simply not possible using normal methods

For the outside of the windshield a professional window washer's brush and squeegee is a good suggestion .
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #6

I got mine at Wally World. It makes cleaning a lot easier, but I think it is easier still when DW does it. I spray the pad, but I'm not sure one pad will clean the whole windshield. Maybe if I did it more often...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We were told that Liquid Glass works great for treating the outside of the windshield so that bugs come off without all that scrubbing. It is also supposed to last longer than RainX, but work the same way in rain. We have yet to try it. Joe
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the outside I have tried something different. I have one of those windshield pads with a squeegee on the back side, and it can be extended for the long reach. I use it for the front, including cap, of the MH with just plain water. I can do this at a truck stop, or anywhere. The soft side gets everything wet and clean, and the squeegee gets the excess water off. However, no matter how hard I tried, the squeegee left slight streaks. So, at Lowe's I picked up one of those microfiger dust mops (sweeper or whatever) and 3 extra pads. I'll use one pad to completely dry the windshield, then put another pad on, spray some Windex on it, and go over the entire windshield. it comes out squeaky clean. (For about a mile)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #9

Where can you buy a windshield cleaner like they have at the gas stations, but with a long enough handle to reach the top of the windshield on a motorhome?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Where can you buy a windshield cleaner like they have at the gas stations, but with a long enough handle to reach the top of the windshield on a motorhome?
Bought mine at Camping World.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #11

Stump Jumper,

I've also seen them at Walmart in the Automotive section.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
For the outside I have tried something different. I have one of those windshield pads with a squeegee on the back side, and it can be extended for the long reach. I use it for the front, including cap, of the MH with just plain water. I can do this at a truck stop, or anywhere. The soft side gets everything wet and clean, and the squeegee gets the excess water off. However, no matter how hard I tried, the squeegee left slight streaks. So, at Lowe's I picked up one of those microfiger dust mops (sweeper or whatever) and 3 extra pads. I'll use one pad to completely dry the windshield, then put another pad on, spray some Windex on it, and go over the entire windshield. it comes out squeaky clean. (For about a mile)
Sounds like that's worth a try - thanks!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bug Cleaner

Since this discussion has moved to cleaning the outside of the windshield, I highly recommend Bugs 'r Off for cleaning those annoying dead bug splatters. Well worth the money IMHO.

Craig

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #14

I haven't had much luck with the extendable ones that require you to twist them to lock. I found one at Walmart in the paint department that is 2 1/2' long and when a button is pressed, it extends from both ends. Locks in a number of positions, and is longer and stiffer than the ones you find at Flying J's. Not all WM's carry them, and they are pricey at around $20, but I don't think I'll need another one, ever. We've used this one for over 60.000 miles.

John

Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote