Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Ryobi Gensets?

Read all the posts I could find on Ryobi's RYI2200 generator but most were pretty old. I'm wondering how people feel about their purchase now that they have a few years of run time. I'm trying to decide whether to go with 2 2000 watt portables or get another Onan in our new 5er.
Jim
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

I'm researching the same thing. My 4000 watt Onan was kaput when we bought our '99 Coachmen, 21 foot RV. The age of my RV just doesn't justify the cost of a new Onan. I'm considering putting a 3 ft trailer mount carrier on the back and bolting on a cheaper 5-6000 watt portable generator.
For a 5er I believe a couple of 2200 watt generators could be carried in the bed of the pickup.
Also before you invest in 2 generators, look at the wattage requirements of your A/C unit and your microwave. My A/C unit alone requires a minimum of 3200 watts. Then look at the actual output of those generators. Some read 2200 watt output. What they really mean is 2200 watt PEAK output for start up power, with only 1800 watt constant output. If you're going to use the generators for just the fridge, outside lights, TV, or electric games, a 2200 watt generator will work just fine.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Robi generators come in basically 2 types and assorted sizes.

I will not discuss sizes beyond what was said above (I agree) Make sure you have enough to Kick Start your Air Conditioners.

The two types..Open frame "Contractor" models and Inverter type

The first "Contractor" are not up to contractor needs,, but should be sold with earplugs provided.

Inverter models..... Well.. I was once standing next to 3 Yahama generators, 1200 watt Peak (1,000 continous) 2400 peak and 3600 peak

This was at a rally so there was "Ambient" noise

I could not hear the 1KW at idle (I could however feel the exhaust on my trouser leg)
I could hear the 2KW but the person beside me could not
They did not fire up the 3kw

At half load I could hear both of the generators as could my friend but we did not have to raise our voices to talk

At FULL load..We did have to raise our voices.

We were less than 3 feet from the generators.

My ONAN is louder (Can not hear it at 100 feet in an open field,low background noise)
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too am very interested in the ryobi. I am looking at two parallel. Just had to subscribe. Although while I'm here, the ac concern is the compressor start up, if you go based on running wattage, you can add a capacitor to give you the boost to start the compressor.

Contractor gen sets provide terrible dirty power, but they will run motors just fine. I would not use it for any sophisticated electronics.

The two smaller gensets weigh less than a single 3000 watt. When you don't require all the power you can run just one and save on gas and noise.

I hope we hear from some ryobi owners.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote